Sesame paste ( tahini )

mselaineous, Jul 12, 9:10am
How long can I keep it in the fridge and use it safely?

245sam, Jul 12, 9:24am
mselaineous, it has been my experience that tahini keeps, refrigerated, for ages and ages. A few years back I had some that was w-a-y- past the date on the tub - it did separate out so that the oil rose to the top and the solid part of the tahini became really firm under the oily layer but a good firm stir-up mixed the layers together again and that mixing gave me the opportunity to check that the tahini still looked and smelled ok - it still had the same look and smell as when it was freshly bought, so I used it right to the very last without any ill effects.

Hope that helps. :-))

jaybee2003, Jul 12, 9:34am
Treat and use tahini like peanut butter. There is actually no need to refrigerate it, so long as it is stored in a cool cupboard. My tahini doesnt say on the outside to store in the fridge, but having said that, I do keep mine in the fridge. The oils do separate on standing after a while, but a good stir and it is fine once again. It keeps for months and months - so long as you use a clean utensil each time you use it and don't contaminate it.

nfh1, Jul 12, 9:38am
I always refrigerate it and just give it a stir - it seems to last for ages and quite often the Best Before Date is for a couple of years ahead, so it must have a very long life!

mselaineous, Oct 27, 3:48pm
Thank you all for your help.