Crusted Topside Roast

rog.e, Jul 10, 11:10am
Some years back I made, as part of our Christmas Day meals, a piece of Topside which I had crusted with a mixture of herbs and spices, black pepper etc. , as a dry marinade and a permanent crust, for 5 days.

It made a crust when cooked and permeated the first cm of the meat slices.

I have no idea now what I used. If anyone has a good savoury recipe for something sounding like this please share it with me.
Thanks
V

jaybee2003, Jul 10, 12:59pm
Is this as a semi cure [prior to cooking] for cold sliced beef ? I have a recipe in a folder somewhere that I have used once. Was very tasty. Fine slices of spicy beef. I seem to remember it was a two stage process - either salt or sugar the first marinade, then a crushed herbs and spices mixture. Juniper berries & black pepper spring to mind. Too late tonight to go hunting through my folders, but if that sounds on track, I will see if I can find for you.

rog.e, Jul 10, 9:58pm
jaybee2003 wrote:
Is this as a semi cure [prior to cooking] for cold sliced beef ? quote]

Yes semi-cured and sliced as a cold meat.
Great if you find the recipe and can type it up for me. Thank you.

I'm pretty sure it was from an English magazine on game and meats for Christmas. But I cannot find it in my folders now. .
V

pickles7, Jul 10, 10:26pm
I pickle the meat, Juniper berries, bay leaf, sea salt, crushed black peppercorns, Ithen put crust of spices over the whole piece of meat, wrap it in heaps of tin foil and slow roast it. Leave to go cold before using.
pastrami roast beef, very nice. Well worth the effort.

jaybee2003, Jul 11, 1:52am
Recipe found. This was delicious. I had forgotten all about this until I read your post. I must do it again soon. Quantities for 5 lb 8oz - 6lb 8oz eye of topside or silverside.

Sugar cure: Rub with 2 3/4 oz dark brown sugar [muscovado]. Let sit in fridge for 48 hrs.

Season: 1/2 oz each of salt, allspice berries, ground cloves, and potassium nitrate/sodium nitrate/saltpetre [preservative - from Chemist], 1 oz each of juniper berries and black peppercorn berries. Pestle grind berries/corns - mix all together in mortar. Rub well all over the beef, cover and sit in fridge for 5 - 7 days, turning once a day.

To cook: Cook in a deep dish with a good fitting lid [I used my romertopf but noted crockpot dish with tin foil cover would have been a good option too], dish should be similar size to the meat. Add 1/2 pint of water and cover.

I also made a note: For similar to NW supermarket pastrami beef -try ground paprika, allspice, bay leaf, black pepper and garlic salt.

jaybee2003, Oct 17, 2:10am
Similar outcome perhaps, [I haven't tried this yet - plan to this week]- but without the semi -curing is this from last weeks DomPost Indulgence Magazine:

Spiced Sugar-glazed corned beef

1. 5kg corned beef with a good fat layer
1 onion, peeled and halved,
2 carrots, cleaned and chopped
1 bay leaf

1 T whole cloves
½ C brown sugar
1 tsp mustard powder
½ tsp ground allspice
Juice of 1 lemon

Preheat slow cooker on low while gathering and preparing the ingredients. Put the corned beef into the preheated slow cooker. Scatter the onion, carrots and bay leaf around the meat. Add sufficient cold water to cover the beef. Cover with the lid. Cook on low for 5 – 7 hours. Turn off and leave the corned beef to finish cooking in the liquid for 2 – 3 hours. At this stage the corned beef can be wrapped and refrigerated overnight.

Preheat the oven to 180C. Line a deep baking tray with foil. Place the cooked corned beef, fat side up, on the prepared tray and stud the beef evenly with whole cloves. [If the fat layer is thick enough, cut a crisscross pattern into the fat b4 studding, much like a glazed ham. ]

Mix the brown sugar, mustard powder, cinnamon and allspice together with the lemon juice and spread half over the beef. Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour, basting with the remaining glaze occasionally.

And their special mustard sauce: [with ginger which I think would be yum - real 'zippy' and a nice change from the usual Edmonds one. !

Special Mustard sauce [For Corned beef]

1 tsp minced ginger
50 g butter
4 T flour
2 C chicken stock
2 T prepared mustard
1 -2 tsp brown sugar

Gently panfry the ginger in the butter in a heavy based saucepan for 2 -3 minutes. Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes or until frothy. Gradually add stock, stirring constantly until sauce thickens. Add mustard and brown sugar. Season with salt and pepper.

Hope those help with ideas rog-e.