Recipes - Circle of Friends!!!

Page 382 / 382
elliehen, Mar 9, 2:37am
Yes, many of the names are familiar locally several generations further on.

Currently I have a family member working in the north of Germany and living in aPension Haus (B&B) owned by an Eggers family.

cookessentials, Mar 10, 5:44am
Oooh, that would be interesting to see if they are related. The shop on the corner, from memory was a gift type store, I knew there was an aquarium, but didn't thin it was there. Did you get to the "Laughing Fish gallery! it is on the right hand side, going back up the road, I have a few pieces of ceramic wall art from there. Talking of turtles, we were in Bulls today and came around the corner of one street, DH slammed on the anchors when I said "turtle" and here, on the road, was a turtle! LOL. I jumped out and went to a house across the road. I said to the lady, "do you know who owns a turtle around here" she said, yes, the house across the road. I said, "it was in the middle of the road" she said, "Oh, that wouldn't surprise me" apparently the house across the road ( fenced) has a pond with two turtels and this wee one likes to escape! The last time it escaped, they lost it for a month! I had awful thoughts of running it over!

cookessentials, Mar 10, 8:27am
crickey, sorry about the spelling.knocking the wrong keys, trying to type too quickly.
Came away from the reunion with some recipes from Grandma Eggers Cookbook!

elliehen, Mar 10, 8:56am
Once you've tried one or two of them you might like to post a favourite.It would be interesting.

As for your lucky turtle, I have a friend whose pet turtle used to go walkabout and wandered away forever.I'm hoping Johnny didn't meet his fate on a road somewhere.His favourite treat was dandelion flowers :)

cookessentials, Mar 10, 9:08am
Yes, I will ellie. This turtle, apparently went missing for a month! I am just very glad we did not run her over!

juliewn, Mar 11, 1:22pm
My daughter Jenni was in a bus accident in Hamilton - a car went through a red light at speed at the Grey St, Clyde St traffic lights, hitting the side of the bus she was in on her way to work. she was sitting in the seat right beside the front steps, the car hit there.
On telling Police when they arrived of her history of her left lung collapsing spontaneously - it's what's known as a recurrent spontaneous pneumothorax - a Policewoman put her in a police car, straight to Waikato Hospital, where she was immediately x-rayed and checked. the Policewoman stayed with Jenni the whole time. I'm so thankful for her being there for Jenni.
Her left lung is 15% collapsed, she has two broken ribs and another cracked. in addition to the bruised ribs, whiplash, sprained wrist and injured shoulder. and she's still finding bruises and bumps,

She's in a lot of pain, and on strong pain meds, finding sleep difficult when she turns, etc. anything like stretching, even walking is painful. she's been through a lot. and even with that, she worked the full day after the accident. has been at classes all week. they sent her home yesterday - Monday - to rest. Her Degree studies also have a mandatory attendance at classes, so she's just kept on going.

Take good care everyone.

evorotorua, Mar 11, 4:58pm
Hi Julie, so sorry to hear of Jenni's accident. You must like you are a long way away at a time like that. Sounds like she is made of strong stuff though and still determined to carry on. She has courage and I bet she gets that from you. Please have all the cyber hugs you need and take care.
My daughter called from Wellington a few weeks back in a flood of tears. "Mum, I can't walk" I managed to get out of her. Just one of those silly things in her back when she bent over normally and it just went into spasm. Not really sure what she thought I could do from Rotorua right then but I told her to call her supervisor there who is a lovely man. He came straight over and helped her to A & E. He, too stayed all the time and left the room discretely when the doctors came in. What an angel he is. In the mean time I managed to find a Stand By flight and went down to help her. She had her Masters write-up to hand in and another assignment so stress was the order of the day. I also took down some extra pain relief that I knew the doctors wouldn't give her. She was a bit more comfortable the next day. I stayed in a hotel and tripped up and down to Kelburn from town. (think I am a tad unfit for that!) Anyway after a couple of nights down there I got another stand-by and came home. They are worth the effort and I got to meet up with the supervisor and thank him whole-heartedly. I made a huge batch of my nut pies and sent them to him too.
Now I am off to Europe with my Mum for four weeks for family and friends. It's been thirty years for her so we are very excited.We leave on Thursday. What and adventure that will be. Take care everyone.

toadfish, Mar 11, 5:23pm
((((hugs)))) to you and Jenni.Don't let her be a hero - she shouldn't have worked the next day - make sure she looks after herself and takes the time to heal. Thats what she pays her ACC Levys for out of her wages.ACC are great at helping genuine people after accidents. Call them if you have any queries as to her entitlements.

cookessentials, Mar 11, 6:12pm
Oh, Julie, sorry to hear about Jenni's accident. I am with toadfish on this one, mak sure she gets all the help she can. Some homeopathic arnica drops will be helpful to help with bruises and sore muscles ( also good for your daughter too evo) evo, the trip to Europe sounds very exciting.have a fabulous time. Julie, have been out to Mauriceville many times, although have not looked through the grave yard. Brian's great grandfather ( Son of Hans & Louisa) moved from Nelson to Waituna West with one of his brothers for work, so in and around Fielding, Waituna West, Rongotea, Kiwitea and Beaconsfield is where they spent their time. With a lot of searching ( and cemetery records) we managed to find Fred & Claras grave and that of his Grandmother, Violet and one of her sons. Have found the family home as well, so we are doing well! It has been quite a surreal and exciting time.

elliehen, Mar 12, 9:49am
juliewn, that is so unfair.No matter how old your children are you never stop wanting to take the hurts away from them.I hope she (and it follows - you too) will be back to peak health soon.

motorbo, Mar 12, 10:05am
hope jenni is doing better, so sorry to hear

rema, Mar 14, 8:16pm
juliewn - just wondering how jenni is! hopefully on road to recovery

cookessentials, Mar 14, 11:05pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch!NR=1&v=rUL0M__g1k4&feature=endscreenthought you might enjoy this wee chuckle. Just turn up the volume a little.

macwood2, Mar 25, 8:44am
Pam are you going to be open over Easter weekend.My sister decided to go visit friends in Greytown and I thought I would go with her.I would love to come up to your shop and visit you.Look forward to hearing from you.

rema, Mar 25, 8:21pm
Great to see us back on page one - wishing everyone and a very safe and happy Easter weekend

elliehen, Mar 26, 1:44am
Happy Easter to you too rema, and to everyone who is looking forward to this last-of-the-summer-wine break :-)

cookessentials, Mar 26, 1:48am
Hey rema, Happy Easter to you too and to you too elliehen. Hope it's relaxing and fun.

cookessentials, Mar 26, 1:49am
No, sadly, we are closing this year. Going to have some well earned R&R. Have stock take to do on Friday but better to get it out of the way so I can enjoy the rest of the weekend but feel free to drool at the window! LOL

cookessentials, Mar 26, 6:14pm
Morning friends, looks like it is going to be a fabulous Easter weekend. What are you all up to! For us, it is stock take on Friday.good to get it out of the way. Thought we might to the Riwanui walk again ( did it a couple of years ago) which is out of Masterton and is a lovely bush walk and climb, with fabulous views once you get to the top ( maybe take a picnic in the back pack) looking forward to more than one day off!

guest, Apr 2, 8:29am
Imagine my pleasure when I found the rnmeiaing pieces of this quiche in our refrigerator. Knowing that Nikki would be working 12 hour days made me begin to fret and wonder when I would be enjoying her delicious and creatively prepared food again. I actually started counting the days until she would be off and able to re-enlist my taste testing palate. Nikki didn't get her cooking talent from her mother I'm usually rushing and relying on the basics to keep me running and I've become especially lazy since Nikki has been bitten by the cooking and baking bug. Without her, I thought I might have to actually break down and prepare something to eat that took more effort than I wished to put forth. But, aaahhh, while searching for a quick lunch, there it was in the refrigerator just waiting for me to enjoy! I, being much like Nikki or maybe it's the other way around pretty much stick to the same thing every morning. A fruit and granola breakfast has been my routine for years. Brunch, on the other hand can be fun and filling. It's the filling part that ends up turning me off. Too much food makes one tired and lazy mama! When I opened the fridge and discovered the quiche, I breathed a sigh of relief. It was just what I had in mind. Healthy, lite and full of flavor. Instead of brunch, it was my lunch! Knowing how much I loved it when I brought it in to share with my colleagues, I secretly relished the fact that it was mine .all mine to savor and enjoy! Thanks Nikki!!!

guest, Apr 2, 9:22am
There are definitely loads of ptlciaurars like that to take into consideration. That could be a great level to carry up. I supply the thoughts above as common inspiration but clearly there are questions like the one you deliver up where the most important factor will probably be working in honest good faith. I don?t know if finest practices have emerged around things like that, however I am positive that your job is clearly identified as a good game. Each boys and girls really feel the impression of only a second's pleasure, for the rest of their lives.

guest, Apr 2, 12:04pm
May26John Fotheringham Excellent points, Brian. I, too, am fuartsrted with how much time they spend in English in most foreign language learning programs, classes, and podcasts. Though I have many problems with Rosetta Stone (especially their prohibitive pricing), I do like that they present everything in the target language, using context and visual cues to build understanding. I agree that reading and writing are extremely important, and both can support one's listening and speaking skills, but I think that many learners (especially in traditional, grammar-driven language education) spend too much time on reading and writing to the detriment of their oral skills. In the beginning, I think a 50/50 to 80/20 split is preferable.