Recipes - Circle of Friends!!!

Page 2 / 382
nfh1, Jul 8, 8:33am
Member 632 - wow!

I wonder how many of the original 1000 members are still active?

On TM that is! !

darlingmole, Jul 8, 8:35am
Haven't been on here for a while - (dodgey dinasaur computer keeps clapping out on me) - however I maintain that this isT H Eplace to be. I think the people on here are so kind and generous with their time and information and loved recipes. One can only hope that things will improve on here and people will come and go, for sure, but lets hope that there's more that stay eh? One Love to you all x

valentino, Jul 8, 8:40am
Hi, been here at TM since March 2003, really love seeing how one can help another... . . (slightly OT but) "it is like the time when one sent his 16 and a half year old son to Madras to visit the real back street living within and his ensuing phone calls describing what he was seeing, and one could see in both of our eyes the genuiness of his voice, this was one trip that opened EYES ! ! ! ! ! "... .

In recipes, may this continue as long as possible, especially all the very good import from everyone ! ! ! !

I personally have appreciated everyone's import as well as myself... (LOL), and what a great idea to have a thread as such...

Cheers everyone.

alebix, Jul 8, 8:43am
I love recipes...

No one makes you feel stupid if you ask a question that seems hard to me yet so simple to everyone else.

Everyone is so lovely.

valentino, Jul 8, 8:44am
Golly Gosh, that alone would be very interesting to know... .

2halls, Jul 8, 8:48am
Thanks for starting this thread charlieb2, I was thinking earlier (when I was in the kitchen chopping up dates ! ) of starting a 'happy thread', so I'm really glad somebody else did it. This is my first port of call for any kitchen or cooking questions ... and I think we need to be encouraging on here. Sometimes lately I have felt too worried to answer somebody's question in case it starts a slanging match. Vive le happy thread !

fisher, Jul 8, 8:58am
Valentino... Sam was member #17 and still is. . I never bothered to join in March when it really started but logged on and talked. . Ws a pretty small site back then. . and finally joined as 632 in May 1999. . all the 1-16 members were test member by Sam and he finally settled at #17. .
I know on one member that has a lower number membership than me. .
in the 300's I think... ? ? ?

greerg, Jul 8, 9:06am
Not sure when I first started looking at recipes but I've certainly tried many of the ones posted here and have had many questions answered. It's great to see that its reverting tothe thread it was a year of two ago.

fisher, Jul 8, 9:10am
Let's hope so... It's a shame some faces are no longer here for whatever reason and "for me", Kirinesha who I felt was an integral part of these recipe forums. . Not sure of the politics involved here but she was no longer here when I came back from Raro. . Shame really. .
Who do you remember that made a mark on these forums for you and no longer posts. . ? ?

charlieb2, Jul 8, 9:17am
Good to see a lot of old friends and familiar names posting... .

*waves to all*

cookessentials, Jul 8, 10:18am
There would be a few and i may not remember them all but juliewyn, gregnmichelle, campmum-
, valentino ( yes, he pops in on occasion, but not so much now) andquite a few others, but at 10. 20 pm, I cannot recall.

donald6, Jul 8, 10:40am
Hi all, it took me a while to discover the Thread when I joined TM because I wasn't really very computer savvy. Still not an expert but have learnt heaps off here & added to my extensive collection of recipes. I've also sent many to daughters in Oz as they were forever ringing me to ask how to cook something. I have also met a few wonderful people off here & hope to maybe meet some more one day. I too find I hardly post now because of the inhouse politics but I still lurk & learn. Thankyou to everyone.

charlieb2, Jul 8, 10:51am
lol... must be too late for you cooks... valentino posted further up the thread...

donald... nice to see you too!

winnie231, Jul 8, 10:55am
To add to my 'tuneful' rendition of the 'Friends' song ... I discovered this MB at a time in my life when things weren't going great for me.
I'm a passionate 'foodie' & have many years experience in the hospitality industry - but -
I was too unwell to work, sitting on a waiting list for surgery & doing alot of navel gazing.
How refreshing to discover a group of people from all walks of life who's common link was food & cooking! Suddenly I was useful again. Suddenly I had somewhere I could make a contribution & help someone instead of feeling frustrated & sorry for myself!

nfh1, Jul 8, 11:04am
That is really interesting winnie - I always felt everyone was helping me, nice to think all my questions may have helped someone else!

fisher, Jul 8, 11:14am
That's the great thing. . nfh1... one question can lead to a lot of info gathered by those that never thought of asking. . tips, trick methods and answered in what was best in THEIR opinion that suited them. . others chimed in with other ingredients that they used and recipes were born right here lol:}
And those learning to cook were the better for it all. .
Recipe sites even like mine are rather static and simply a list of ingredients and methods. . there's no people involvement as there is here... which makes the cooking experience far more pleasurable...

winnie231, Jul 8, 11:14am
I need to add -
there was lots for me to learn from folks in styles, techniques & areas of food I had never ventured!

TM recipes made a tough time in my life bearable. It makes me sad to see all the arguments & name calling that seems to prevail here these days. I hope this thread marks a return to better values here. It may be 'just' a message board - but behind the trader names are real people ... and you never know what difference you may make to someone's life from what you write here.

nfh1, Jul 8, 11:20am
yes I think you are right fisher.

I have learnt a lot but most of all I have learnt to try, experiment and most things have turned out well. The odd disaster has occurred but then that is why the Chippy is down the road.

In fact, the more I have relaxed about cooking, the better I have got.

charlieb2, Jul 8, 11:26am
winnie and fisher, so true what you are saying. . I think here on the MB, we get a 'feel' for people by the way they post, their style, their little jokes etc etc... . and you are 'drawn' to that person and by default their cooking ideas. . which in turn leads to you learning a new technique you might not have otherwise tried. Or considering a point of view that you may have dismissed before.

We all have a right to 'air our views'. I read with interest the views of others... . sometimes they are dismissed as 'not for me' or I might take them up 'in part' or 'wholeheartedly'. The shame is when we stop posting because we feel our opinion is not longer valued or worse, that it may be ridiculed

calista, Jul 8, 2:02pm
*jumps up and down and waves madly to charlie* Sooo good to see you. I hope your young men are enjoying the holidays.

Recipes has also helped me become a bit more adventurous as a cook. I think I asked my first question (it was about Agee jars) after my mum died and I realised I couldn't just pick up the phone and tap into her greater knowledge.

I like the way the messageboard enables me to learn from other people's questions as well as the answers. I find I learn things I had forgotten I was interested in - like Buzzy's post on the difference between 'wheaten cornflour' and ordinary flour, which I remembered being puzzled by as a child as soon as I read the cornflour thread.

Anyway - way past bedtime,

bedazzledjewels, Jul 8, 7:13pm
Gosh Fisher - that's very interesting reading about the early days on Trade Me. I know Kirinesha would love to have joined in here if she could.
I've made some good friends on here and learnt a lot about all sorts of things!
Nice thread Charlie.

allurs, Jul 8, 7:20pm
Im glad to see that people do agree with that! wahoo!

lulu239, Jul 8, 8:48pm
It is good to see that most of the questions are answered in a non superior way and it makes me wince when an ascerbic note comes in to the answer. Even the top chefs are finding newer ways to improve their dishes (OK some can't be improved upon! ) Most of the time I feel comfy here, learning, answering or contributing.

pericles, Jul 8, 9:19pm
signing in.
see quite a few posters I "know", some I have meet

earthangel4, Jul 8, 9:25pm
Waving to you all, so good to see this, and thankyou charlie for starting it.
I enjoy cooking and love to start something new.