Pork crackling

dorothy_vdh, Jul 6, 6:29am
I've finally mastered it. I watched "the cook and the chef" a few weeks ago where Maggie Beer said to pour boiling water over the skin first then rub water oil and salt.
And it worked

sophia4, Jul 6, 6:53am
did you cut it as well? I've always wondered how crackly it goes if you don't score the top

dorothy_vdh, Jul 6, 7:50am
yes cut it deeper than what it had been

fifie, Jul 6, 10:04am
Yep the only way i get nice crunchie crackling that just snaps when you bite it lol, i pat mine dry with a paper towel before rubbing oil and sprinkling the salt on. Brilliant ! ! ! !

nahzee, Jul 6, 10:08am
that shits mint. . we got a roast shop up the road. . the lady always chucks in some pork crackle for free with our kai. . primo and crunchy

captkirknz, Jul 6, 10:09am
my mother tried that it didn't work lol

captkirknz, Jul 6, 10:10am
if mine fails to crackle during roasting, I just cut it off and grill it... . crackles up nicely!

accroul, Jul 7, 3:37am
Drat, I knew I forgot something! Forgot the oil. Hope it still works because I'm usually hopeless at crackling. *taps foot & waits impatiently for dinner time*

bel55, Jul 7, 4:52am
My husband and I own a takeaway Roast Shop in New Plymouth called Roast2Nite (wee plug here) and we get whole skins in. We spray them with oil, then salt the skins, and bake for an hour at 200 degrees. We serve it mainly with the pork meals (and other meals if asked) for free, but sell it by the bag as well! ! !

purplegoanna, Jul 7, 4:57am
crikey the one up here charges me $2 for an extra 2 piddly strips!

marks6, Jul 7, 9:57am
Glad I dont live in New Plymouth, I would be at your shop every day bel55 Yummmmmm

bel55, Oct 8, 3:59pm
mark6, we'd love to have you as a customer, sorry we don't deliver up your way. purplegoanna, the lady who owned the shop before us was like that, but we get people who travel from out of town to buy our bags of crackling, theres heaps in it! !