Does anyone have a failproof sponge recipe?

princesspossum, Dec 19, 7:36am
I am going to attempt to make one for my partners birthday, but have heard they are hard to get right lol. Any advice, tips would be greatly appreciated :)

weezil, Dec 19, 8:56am
x1
4 eggs -separate whites from yolks
1 cup cornflour
3/4 cup sugar
2 tabs custard powder
1 tsp Baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar

beat egg whites till stiff, add sugar gradually, then add yolks and beat well.
Fold in sifted dry ingredients. .
bake 180oC for 20-30 minutes

made mine today to use for trifle for xmas pud... my tin was about 30cm x 20cm and about 6cm high

turned out very well and I use this recipe a lot. . good luck

princesspossum, Dec 19, 8:58am
Thanks weezil, most of the recipes seem to use self raising flour but im guessing cornflour makes a fluffier sponge? Could I use a round cake tin?

weezil, Dec 19, 10:09am
of course you can just make sure its going to be big enough to hold the mixture plus allowing it to rise, maybe line your tin up the sides a bit over the top of the tin so nothing will spill over and make a mess... yup and your right my sponge was fluffy and I was a bit peeved that I had to put it in the freezer instead of slathering it with cream and passionfruit! ... lol

noelee, Dec 29, 2:38am
Have you tried the sponge recipe on the back of the packet of the Edmonds [used to be Fielders ] cornflour its a very good recipe easy instructions. I make this sponge all the time.

madzwhippet, Dec 29, 7:34am
The Fielders one was a beauty but doeshave a small amount of flour so is not suitable for those who can't have gluten. thanks for this recipe am putting it in myG/F recipes... ...

gaspodetwd, Jul 4, 5:07am
They are so easy - but you do need an electric mixer! The main thing is - eggs at room temp - and beat until white! We use the clasic eggs, cornflour, vanilla sugar recipe - and it is used as our GF birthday cake recipe - so I make it a lot!

pickles7, Jul 4, 5:27am
In the search function , on your left , Write ... pickles7... on the key word member space, and scroll down to ... anytime ... on the date posted, . You may find what you are looking for there
I have several recipe's, all used for different purposes.

cookessentials, Sep 29, 9:19am
cooking class 101 thread