Special Menu for Bastille Day???

wendy1968, Jun 29, 8:37am
I have the main chosen, but am after a easy entree (not french onion soup) and a dessert... . . any help is appreciated, thanks

cookessentials, Jun 29, 8:51am
What about Tarte Tatin?
I have a recipe on the Apple desserts thread.

theanimal1, Jun 29, 11:42am
French Lemon Tart

Ingredients

Pastry:
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cupIcing Sugar
125g butter, chilled and cubed
finely grated rind 2 lemons
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon iced water

Filling:
5 eggs
1/2 cupCaster Sugar
3/4 cup cream
1/2 cup lemon juice (about 2 lemons)

Method

To prepare the pastry, place the flour and icing sugar in a food processor and mix for a few seconds. Add the butter in small cubes and process until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the rind, egg yolk and iced water and process for a few seconds. Tip the mixture onto a sheet of plastic film and gather into a ball. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.

Roll out the pastry to about 5-7mm thickness and line a 23-25cm removable bottom flan dish. Lightly press a sheet of buttered foil onto the pastry.
Preheat the oven to 200ºC. Bake the flan for 10 minutes. Carefully remove the foil and continue cooking for another 5 minutes, until golden.

To make the filling, beat the eggs and sugar in a bowl until frothy and the sugar begins to dissolve. Beat in the cream, until just mixed. Add the lemon juice. Pour into the cooked pastry shell and bake at 180ºC for 20-25 minutes or until the filling is set. Cool then refrigerate.

SERVES 8

theanimal1, Sep 16, 12:07pm
Slow Cooked
French Beef Casserole

Serves: 4-6
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 2 ½ hours
Ingredients

* ¼ cup flour
* 4-6 pieces beef shin or 500grms cubed beef ( I use brisket)
* 2 tbsp olive oil
* 2 cloves garlic, crushed
* 1 onion, sliced
* 1 pkt MAGGIOnion Soup
* 400g can tomatoes in juice, chopped
* 2 tbsp tomato paste
* ½ cup white wine
* ½ cup water

Method

1. Preheat oven to 160°C.
2. Place flour in a plastic bag. Add beef, shake bag to coat. Remove from bag shaking off excess flour.
3. Heat oil in a large frying pan. Add beef and cook until browned. Place in a large casserole dish. Add garlic and onion.
4. Combine remaining ingredients. Pour over beef. Cover casserole dish.
5. Cook in preheated oven for 2-2 ½ hours or until beef is tender, stirring every 30 minutes.