Wheat free, Gluten & Diary Free Cake Recipe wanted

gypsynz1, Jun 27, 4:40am
Hi,
Does anyone have a tried & true Wheat free & Gluten & diary free recipe for a cake, its my Mums 65th in a few weeks and want to make her a birthday cake. She has lots of food allergies, but can use rice milk, receipe can't contain oats or nuts! ! ! !

buzzy110, Jun 27, 4:54am
Mediterranean Orange Cake — Gluten free!

Eggs 410 g
Caster Sugar 310 g
Ground Almonds 310 g
Orange Slush (4 medium oranges) 375 g
Baking Powder 15 g

Yield: 1 × 22. 5cm (9 inch) round cake

Orange Slush

Place the 4 oranges (tops & bottoms trimmed) into a large saucepan.

Place enough water into the saucepan to ¾ cover the oranges, then boil uncovered for 2 hours over a gentle heat. You may need to adjust the water level from time to time.
Once the oranges have boiled drain off excess water and place oranges into a food processor and blend until a thick smooth puree has been created.

Place into a container and cover, then refrigerate over night.

Cake Batter

Mix the baking powder with the ground almonds together to ensure dispersal of the baking powder within the cake.

Mix the eggs and sugar together until just combined, taking care not to aerate the mixture.

Add the orange slush, ground almonds and baking powder and mix gently to combine all the ingredients together.

Pour the mixture into a 22. 5cm (9 inch) round cake tin that has the bottom and sides lined with baking paper. The batter will appear very wet but do not be alarmed as this is normal.

Place into a pre-heated oven set at 180°C and bake for 80–80 minutes or until a cake skewer comes out clean.

Leave the baked cake in the cake tin for 15–20 minutes to cool then remove. Once completely cool, glaze the entire cake with hot apricot glaze and sprinkle around the edges of the cake with toasted flaked almonds.

Best eaten the day after baking.
Try giving away samples of this moist, citrus and refreshing cake. Customers will be surprised to know its gluten free!

buzzy110, Jun 27, 4:55am
I have made this cake for my friend who is similarly afflicted. She can't eat too many eggs, but a small piece didn't do her any harm.

buzzy110, Jun 27, 4:57am
If you know how to make some sort of thick, sweet concoction from rice milk (maybe using gelatine) then you could make Pavlova with the rice milk topping and, if you are like me and make lots of lemon spread, then you could add that as a decorative feature or maybe just some raspberry jus or slices of kiwifruit.

motorbo, Jun 27, 4:58am
buzzy she said cant contains nuts that has almonds

frances1266, Jun 27, 4:59am
What sort of cake does she like i. e. vanilla, chocolate etc?

buzzy110, Jun 27, 5:10am
Blow. I take it all back. I kept concentrating on the first part of the post and forgot about the final part. Oh well. I did suggest pavlova.

monkey_room, Jun 27, 5:56am
Whole Orange and Date Cake
Whizz in blender
1 whole unpeeled orange quartered
2 large eggs or replacement
1/2 cup cold pressed oil (I use rice bran)
1/2 cup cut up dates
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup soy milk or yoghurt

In a large bowl sift
1 cup rice flour
1/2 cup pea flour
1/4 cup soy or potato or other flours
2 tsp baking powder
Mix together

The original recipe calls for a yeast rising agent but if your Mum is Ok with BP I use that.
Add the wet to the dry mix and pour into a prepared 23 cm cake tin
Bake at 160 c for 45 minutes (or until firm in centre)
Then spread with the following:
Combined:
1/4 cup oil (rice bran)
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup orange juice
1 cup coconut
5 tblsp soymilk powder

Place the cake with the topping under the grill at about 12cm distance and grill for 3-5 minutes (watch carefully)

I have made this many times and it is a great wholefood cake.
Alternatively for the topping you can just make a simple orange icing with icing sugar, marg and orange zest and juice.

monkey_room, Jun 27, 5:57am
Lawd! I hope that covers the right bases above!

herika, Jun 27, 6:50am
It will, as long as gluten free baking powder is used :)

herika, Jun 27, 6:52am
Never mind, a lot of gluten intolerant people who can have almonds will welcome the recipe :)

gaspodetwd, Jun 27, 7:03am
100 year old sponge cake recipe - 5 eggs, 6oz GF flour, 6 oz caster sugar.

Use a mixer to mix the sugar and eggs until white ( about 6 minutes). Fold in flour. Makes two round - bake for about 20 minutes.
Sandwich with Gf jam(anathoth or barkers) and lots of fresh berries - if now - I use tinned or frozen - and LOTS of jam. Make on day of use.

monkey_room, Jun 27, 7:37am
In that case they can prove some yeast and use that instead!

gypsynz1, Sep 10, 6:16pm
Thanks will try the orange & date cake