Slow cooker porridge

blackcat18, Jun 26, 1:25am
anyone know a basisrecipe for rolled oats how much water milk oats for 4 -6 serves n how long to cook it

lilyfield, Jun 26, 5:43am
Do you have a microwave? Its much quicker and easier in it.

slow cooker takes hours to heat up properly- there is absolutely no sense in cooking porridge in it.

seedy4, Jun 26, 5:45am
Microwave:
1/2 cup oats, 1 cup milk per person
Microwave 2 minutes, stir and a heat a further minute.
Done! !

margyr, Jun 26, 5:50am
all this copy and pasted from another thread, good luck. my 1 says 1 cup oats 2 cups water grease inside pot place ingred cook om low 7 to 9 hrs or over night but i tryed this and was very well cooked by morning and dry so you may have to ajust as never tryed again
Quote harrislucinda (206 )8:59 pm, Thu 6 May #2
1/4 cup porridge to 1 cup milk/water and a pinch of salt and most important a timer so that you can put your timer on at 4. 30 and have it ready by 7. 30. Easy as.
Quote mango5 (378 )5:37 pm, Fri 7 May #3
Why on this earth anyone would want to cook porridge in the crock pot when you can cook in a few minutes stovetop or microwave, beats me :-)
Quote rainrain1 (5 )7:35 am, Sat 8 May #4
I am chortling.
Quote pickles7 (445 )9:27 am, Sat 8 May #5
use a casserole dish or baking dish with high sides that fits inside your crockpot/slow cooker and put an inch or so of water in the crock pot so the porridge is sitting in the casserole dish in a "bath". You may need to add a little boiling water to the porridge in the morning if it is a little thicker than you are used to. To be honest if you have a microwave its just as quick to do your porridge in the microwave as over night in the crockpot. Do not put the porridge direct into your crockpot as the outside will become tough and unpalentable. Use the same method for fish pies, lasange etc.
Quote trevk (498 )9:53 am, Sat 8 May #6
We always cook ours this way. It cooks wholegrain oats properly.
(I wouldn't bother with it for rolled oats),

I use 1 cup of wholegrain oats to 2 1/2 cups of water and a pinch of salt. Sometimes I add a couple of Tbsp ground almonds in place of same measure of oats, or some sultanas.
I cook my oats in a covered pyrex dish up on a trivet inside the slowcooker - filled to halfway up the pyrex dish with water. Slow setting switched on just before bed and switched off as soon as we get up (and up to an hour before we eat) makes it perfect!
Quote millymolly_mtb (4 )4:04 pm, Sat 8 May #7
Post a message in this thread

margyr, Jun 26, 5:51am
hmm abit of a jumble isn't it, on the left is a search box, type in slow cooker porridge in the key word or member, then in the date posted click on the little arrow and anytime, then search, you will be able to look at the original thread then.