making custard from scratch...

kaykay5, Feb 17, 2:36am
can anyone give me the recipe for doing this?

bubbles61, Feb 17, 2:45am
Hi, Found this on the Jamie Oliver website... . was going to make it but have never got around to it... Hope it helps ;-)

Rich and Creamy Custard.

~ Ingredients ~

- 115 ml of double cream
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 1oz/30g Caster sugar
- ½ Vanilla pod

1. Place the double cream into a saucepan with the vanilla seeds from the split vanilla pod. Heat over a medium heat until the cream is almost boiling.

2. Remove from the heat and set to one side.

3. Whisk the egg yolks in a small mixing bowl.

4. Pour the warm cream over the egg yolks, whilst stirring constantly.

5. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and return to the heat.

6. Return to a medium heat, add the sugar and continue to stir until the custard has thickened. Do not allow the custard to boil.

7. Serve warm.

acoustic_roy, Feb 17, 2:49am
The recipe's on the packet, surely? (It won't be as classy as the one above, though! )

245sam, Feb 17, 2:53am
kaykay5, please clarify - do you want a recipe as in #2 or one that is made with custard powder? (which IMO and obviously in bubbles61's opinion too is not really "making custard from scratch") but I do have the quantities/recipe for custard made with custard powder if that's what you're wanting. :-))

crab2, Feb 17, 2:54am
I put milk in a pan, add some sugar, bring to when you see bubbles on the edge of the milk. In a shaker add a desertspoon or bit more of custard powder to some milk, shake to disolve, pour into milk, and keep stirring until thick. And never make custard with trim milk as it's watered down milk. I use Anchor Lite or full cream milk for best results.

kaykay5, Feb 17, 2:57am
Hey 245sam, it is one made without custard powder, but I think Ive found one! I looked in my late grandmothers cookbook, [1940s] LOL! Thanks anyway

245sam, Aug 14, 12:55pm
you're welcome, kaykay5 and of course your grandmother's cookbook would be an excellent place to look for recipes "made from scratch". Hope you enjoy the REAL custard. :-))