Meat Pies

thewebster, Jun 24, 7:33am
I feel inspired to make meat pies. Does anyone have any philosophical reflections in regard to meat pies?

Thanks.

poppy62, Jun 24, 9:02am
Not really - I just make pies out of all my left over stews and casseroles... If I have curry left over, I turn it into samosas and extra bacon into a bacon and egg pie.

jaybee2003, Jun 24, 9:51am
Personally I prefer a dryer purpose cooked filling than using left over stews and casseroles as the casseroles often contain so much moisture they sog the pastry and the meat falls to bits. I prefer to cook browned meat in the crockpot with no extra liquids added, as it gives lovely rich tender meat that stays in shape - a perfect pie filling.

Heat crockpot on high. Brown onion in oil in a frying pan, drain and toss into crockpot. Brown the meat until all the [meat] juices are evaporated, tossing browned meat into the crockpot also. Crumble and stir through a maggi beef stock cube. Cover and cook for 2 hours but DO NOT lift the lid. [This lets moisture and heat out and slows down cooking] Meat will be perfectly tender with a rich rich taste, and a nice dark brown colour. Let cool before placing in pie dish and topping with pastry etc. It sounds weird with not adding liquids, but it is great. Sometimes for extra richness I add a splash of red wine though. Could add Guiness, but only add enough to lightly coat meat not for it to lie in - say about 1/4 of a cup.

thewebster, Jun 25, 5:25am
I like the idea of purpose-cooked filling too, although I imagine suitable leftovers properly treated can turn out pretty well.

I just made my first meat pie - chunks of beef and parsnip browned and then stewed in their own juices, with a little salt and pepper, for the filling. Edmonds flaky puff pastry in quite a big (for one person) round ceramic dish. Very tasty.

cookessentials, Jun 26, 12:21am
I always use a flakey pastry top on mine. You could make any manner of pie such as chicken and leek, mince, steak and onion, vegetarian. i do a good old "Australian Meat Pie" which is always very tasty - have not made one in quite a while though.

anden16, Jun 26, 12:42am
Have you got an easysamosa recipe please?

thewebster, Jun 26, 1:47am
Hmm . . what goes into an Aussie meat pie?

cookessentials, Jun 26, 2:46am
Not kangaroo ! LOL - it is basically a mince pie with a flakey pastry but very tasty.

miss-skyline, Nov 8, 4:44pm
could you please post the rescipe;
thanks...