Do you make a good soup? need recipe or help pleas

mum99, Jun 23, 6:37am
hi guys, mum used to make a lovely vege soup (no longer here to ask how to make) i tried once but failed miserably, so i'm hoping someone out there has the time to help me a lil bit. I have left over juice in the slow cooker from a large chook, i have the soup mix stuff (split peas etc) can i just cut slice my veges, have kumera, carrot, pumpkin, corn, and throw it all in the slow cooker and leave overnight? do i need to add anything else? oh i have the left over chicken too. Your words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated, thanks

cgvl, Jun 23, 7:45am
the short answer is yes you can.
Mine is really simple.
a mix of potato, kumara, parsnip, swede, pumpkin and carrot. add celery, stock or water, meat if you want it, any soup mix and bring to boil then simmer until soup mix cooked. Add salt, pepper and I add a little curry powder for taste.
Because I don't like chunky soup I lightly mash my vege down or grate it, also makes it thicker.
You can add frozen peas towards the end and silverbeet/spinach or cabbage if desired.
Enjoy.

fifie, Jun 23, 7:50am
My version, I would skim off any fat from chook juice. Take meat off your left over chicken and keep then throw the carcass in a pot with 2 bayleaves a few peppercorns your veg peelingsand simmer for about a hour to make some more stock. Cool strain the juice and throw the veg peelings bay leaves and peppercorns away. Add this stock to your chook juice in the crockpot, then add your grated vegs, bits of chicken, a handful of soup mix, lid on and cook. Give it a stir and Taste when vegs and the soup mix are cooked season with salt and white pepper, celery salt is good if you haven't used the veg celery, see if its to your liking and your all done. Can freeze to if you want...

cookessentials, Jun 23, 8:11am
Not sure if you have a crockpot, but if you do, pop your hock into the crockpot and cover with water. Cook till meat falls off bone ( I usually do this overnight so it's ready to prepare the following day)
Remove the hock and with a slotted spoon, fish around the liquid and remove any bits of bone, skin and meat that has fallen off. Now, you can either wait for the liquid to go cold and take any fat off the top, or just remove any visible bits of fat off the top ( a folded piece of bread will do the trick - just skim gently across the top to soak up the fatty layer. To the liquid, add 1x lge chopped onion, a can of chopped tomatoes, 1-2 kumara, peeled and choped into fairly large dice. 1-2 potatoes chopped the same as the kumara, 1-2 swede peeled and chopped the same. 1-2 carrots peeled and sliced thickly, 1 litre container of Campbells chicken or vege stock and a good tbsp of tomato paste. Break up the meat from the ham hock and add this into the crockpot ( or stock pot) with the vege. Cook on high till vege are tender. Then add about 1-2 cups of either macaroni or spiral pasta if you like, this will make the soup lovely and thcik once it has cooked through. Season well with pepper ( you probably wont need salt as the stock should gove you enough flavour, but add it to your taste if you think it needs it. )Continue cooking slowly till pasta is cooked through. Serve with fresh crusty bread or make a nice garlic bread loaf and serve warm with the soup.

mum99, Jun 23, 8:40am
thanks guys, off to make soup!

stormbaby, Sep 1, 12:05am
Any soup you make is only as good as the seasoning. That's the secret! Mine is made from home made stock, I buy two cooked chooks on a Sunday. Sunday we have roast chook, I take the rest of the meat off the carcass and use that for my famous chicken/mushroom/bacon and cream casserole. I put the two carcasses back in the crockpot, add chopped carrot, celery, onion, parsley, black pepper and salt. Cover with boiling water and leave on high overnight. Next morning, strain off everything but the stock, cool and put the stock in a covered container in the fridge for a day and night. Next day, skim any solidified fat (white floating) off the liquid. At this point you can either freeze the liquid or make into soup. I heat it, put it in the crockpot and make either vege and chicken, tomato or roast garlic and pumpkin soup.
The easiest, vege and chicken, jus chop up any available veges, I use carrots, celery, broccerli, cauliflower, peppers, parsley, spring onions or chives and add some chopped cooked chicken. Season to taste. The thing I use in everything is a smoked garlic and herb salt I get from the Riccarton Market. Its absolutely beautiful and puts the finished taste to so many things. Once you get the hang of seasoning, your tasteless soup days are over.
Tonight its freezing in Christchurch, so I chucked 3 litres of stock in the crockpot around 5pm, added 1. 5 litres of my tomato puree that I make in the summer, seasoning and left on high for an hour and a half. With toasted baps smothered in home made garlic butter, this was a quick, tasty meal, just right for a winter night in front of the fire.