Slow cooker

treens2, Jun 21, 5:19am
New to this, have a piece off bolar beef, do I add water or anything, do I add vegetables later as you do as a roast. Tia

margyr, Jun 21, 5:51am
i am new also, but did a leg of lamb and a corned beef without adding any water, they were lovely, and next time I am going to put my vege in at the same time as the meat. I did not do vege with the other things but am going to next time. also try the search box on the left in keyword or member type slow cooker and then in the date posted click on the arrow and then anytime, then click search. good luck.

mel1140, Jun 21, 6:10am
i do it with water, you dont want it to dry up or anything, and i add veges at the start.

beaker59, Jun 21, 6:46am
I have done it all ways Treen and always comes out fine I haven't had a dry one yet usually I just brown the meat then add to slowcooker then fry some onions and deglaze pan with a little red wine. and run it on low for most of the day. I have also just added the meat on its own browned and no liquid and that was fine too. As to veg well that works well and I like it but my wife isn't so keen so generally I cook them separately. My wifes objection is that if you do the veg with the meat then everything tastes the same so comes down to personal choice I suppose.

yduj, Jun 21, 6:55am
I do bolar roasts in an oven bag. Sprinkle some flour/salt/pepper etc into the bag and close it up with a gap for the air to escape. I then sit the bag on a metal egg ring (cos that's what we have) to form a bit of a trivet. Cook all day and the resulting gravy in the bag is just delicious, so is the meat.

calista, Aug 25, 2:14am
Agee jar rings also can be used for trivets.