Scones. Should they be

zak1998, Jun 20, 10:31pm
Sticky when you have mixed the ingredients together. I have tried a couple of recipes and when the ingredients are mixed together the dough is really sticky. Is this right?

cookessentials, Jun 20, 10:42pm
sometimes they can be a bit sticky, but just dust with a little extra flour as you knead it and always knead it lightly on a lightly floured board.

millenium1, Jun 21, 12:19am
I find the dryer the dough, the lighter the scones. Many would disagree though but try it. I also use Buttermilk or Sour Milk.

wheelz, Jun 21, 12:40am
I agree wholeheartedly with the use of buttermilk... fabulous stuff for producing a light result ! You can easily triple your buttermilk:- pour all a fresh carton of cultured buttermilk into clean 2. 5 litre glass bottle/ container and top up with normal milk. Leave in warm place to do it's stuff... may take 2-3 days in this colder weather. Refrigerate once cultured.

cookessentials, Jun 21, 12:53am
Yes, I only ever make the buttermilk ones and they are always light and fluffy and stay fresh even the next day.

cookessentials, Aug 23, 6:11pm
BUTTERMILK SCONES

Buttermilk Scones.
Ingredients:
2 cups self raising flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp caster sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
60g butter
2/3 - 3/4 cup buttermilk
Method:
Sift all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl, rub in butter until mix resembles breadcrumbs. Add enough buttermilk to make a fairly soft dough. Turn onto a floured board and knead lightly. Pat or roll dough to about 1cm thickness. Cut into rounds with a 5cm (2 inch) cutter. Place on un-greased baking trays and bake in a preheated very hot oven (230C/450F) for 10 - 12 minutes or until golden. These are lovely ones to do with jam and whipped cream for afternoon tea.