Pumpkins - storage and varities

calista, Jun 16, 11:39pm
All the yummy recipes that have been on here (pumpkin loaves, p and kumera balls, p soup etc) have inspired me to try some new dishes - so thanks for that.

My question is how long can I store grey pumpkins? I know to leave the stalk on and keep them in a cool dry place, but that's the extent of my knowledge. Because I don't have a car and they are so heavy to carry, home I tend to buy a couple of them when shopping with a friend, so don't use them for a while.

Also I'm a bit bemused by the variety of pumpkins, squashes and butternuts so any words of wisdom would help there too.

Thanks for any help you can give.

veejay13, Jun 16, 11:54pm
As long as they're not bruised or any nicks in the skin, they'll keep for months. I've had a couple in my garage for four months - used one last week and it was fine. (They're the grey ones). I've also got a heap of butternuts and they keep just as well - same "rules" apply. Other varieties I haven't tried keeping, so can't comment.

cookessentials, Jun 17, 12:01am
Before you store the pumpkins make sure they are clean to stop the dirt from rotting them later on. Store them in a dry place which has air circulating. And remember to check them often and remove any that rot so they don’t cause the others to rot as well.

cookessentials, Jun 17, 12:03am
We have 3-4 "Crown" pumpkins ( grey skin) and they have a good couple of centimetres of stalk on them. We are lucky anough to still have the storage safe on the side of our porch with access from inside, so we store them in there. Our safe has fine mesh to allow the air to circulate and keep them cool and fresh.

cookessentials, Jun 17, 12:04am
http://www.wefs.co.nz/pumpkin-butternut/

wildflower, Jun 17, 4:05am
I was given 2 pumpkins a few years back, one had really tough wrinkly skin that no amount of cooking softened up enough to eat but the other had pinkish coloured skin and was the nicest pumpkin we had ever eaten. Don't know the variety though, anyone have any ideas?

calista, Aug 13, 7:56pm
Thanks everyone. It sounds even more healthy than I expected. Cookessentials, that link was v helpful. Can your p loaves be made with both kinds?