How to make Stock?

2sparrow, Jun 15, 1:59am
I feel ashamed to say I dont know how to make it... . . I have some roosters I had killed in the freezer----would I make stock out of those? ... . how? How do you make beef stock?

harrislucinda, Jun 15, 2:04am
justboilanybonesaddseasoningstrain

2sparrow, Jun 15, 2:09am
Do i boil the whole rooster carcass... . meat and all ? ?

245sam, Jun 15, 2:11am
2sparrow, have a look at:-

http://trademecooks.net.nz/viewtopic. php? f=22&t=919

I note that you have roosters so you could use those for making 'chicken' stock otherwise, if you have a Mad Butcher store nearby you should find that it is a good source of good meat/bone products for stock making - chicken carcases, beef bones, shin onthe bone, bacon hocks... . .
Do you have a crockpot/slowcooker? If so, you could use it for stock making.

Hope the above helps. :-))

245sam, Jun 15, 2:14am
Yes - "meat and all" - As I suggested above 2sparrow, use your crockpot/slowcooker if you have one, otherwise simmering long and slow should produce a well-flavoured stock plus tender meat that could either be used for soup making or some other use e. g. Chicken a la King or similar. :-))

2sparrow, Jun 15, 2:26am
Yes I have a crock pot----tried to make rooster soup----didn;t quite work out... ... thanks for the link and helping... . .

245sam, Jun 15, 3:02am
2sparrow, what was wrong with the rooster soup? - was the soup lacking in flavour or was the meat too tough or dry?
Presumably the roosters are what is usually known as pot-roasters/boiling fowls so they should make good flavoured stock with the addition of fresh vegetables such as onion, carrot, celery, etc. and fresh herbs such as parsley, thyme... . but the meat would most likely be dry and/or tough unless the roosters are really just simmered rather than boiled or given a low slow cook in a crockpot/slowcooker. :-))

fifie, Jun 15, 3:21am
#1 Try again, Put your rooster in a big pot, top up with water add 2-3 bay leaves, all the washed peelings from your vegs you are putting in the soup, carrots, leaves of your celery, potato, leeks, onion, whatever you are using a few peppercorns and some garlic. Bring up to the boil, turn heat down to a slow simmer for about 60- 90 minutes or till your rooster is cooked. Leave to cool and lift out your rooster, strain your stock into a basin discard all the veg peelings bay leaves etc, put your stock in the fridge overnight next day scoop off any fat and put it back in to a pot. Pull some of the meat off your rooster add this to the stock in little pieces along with all your vegs whizzed up in the food processer, throw ina handful of soup mix and bring up to the boil, simmer for about 11/2 hrs or till vegs are soft. Now add some salt and pepper, taste to see that its to your liking and your soups all made. Great to freeze in pottles for lunches. You can do the same with beef bones, bacon hock, whatever you have. you just won't get as much meat off some ofthem. Hope it works for you as roosters are ideal for making soup, if you don't want to make a big pot full just freeze some stock for later. . OR use your crockpot should work out the same just takes longer to make. .

rebecca18, Jun 15, 3:49am
I recently found a fabulous BBC cooking website, it offers dozens of videos showing how to make various food and includes many culinary techniques. There is a specific section that gives instructions for making various stocks, excellent quality video instructions, on average about 10 minutes long. I thoroughly, thoroughly recommend visiting the website. Incidentally videos feature well-known chefs.

rebecca18, Jun 15, 3:54am
It might help if I actually posted the website address:
https://www.bbc.co. uk/food/get_cooking/index. shtml

2sparrow, Jun 15, 10:34pm
It lacked flavour... they were roosters from my henhouse... . .cooked in a crockpot so I did something seriously wrong... I think i try too hard !

2sparrow, Jun 15, 10:35pm
Im going to print this out and give it another go... . . lord knows I have enough roosters ! !

fifie, Jun 15, 10:53pm
Good for you, don't waste those roosters just remember to season with salt and pepper, till you get it tasting how you like it, i use white pepper. Great on a cold day lets know how you go. .

jennie5963, Jun 16, 12:50am
Ok, so the liquid I keep throwing out from my corned beef could be strained and kept as stock?

illusion_, Jun 16, 7:44pm
If you have a use for "BRINE STOCK"

buckyboy, Aug 12, 5:04pm
NO not corned beef or silversidewater, don't keep that it is too salty and is brine as previous post stated. Use beef bones, ask butcher for soup bones