Waffle maker - good brand???? opinions please

lindar, Jun 13, 4:06am
on whether you like yours or not. thanks

sunnyflower, Jun 13, 5:25am
I got one second hand a sunbeam one, spray with spray non stick stuff, I made crispy ones this morning yum, mines a sunbeam one fabulous

bunny51, Jun 14, 2:15am
I have a breville makes heart shaped waffles

cgvl, Jun 14, 4:58am
I have a Breville, makes really nice good sized waffles. use it weekly especially at the weekends.
great for making both savoury and sweet.
Do I like it yes, easy to use yes. Good recipes . . well I only use one and use it for making pancakes (crepes) as well.
Makes bread and butter plate sized waffles, you can get other types that make different shapes etc.

buzzy110, Jun 14, 5:48am
In my household, it became just another gadget cluttering up my precious cupboard space and gathering dust. Ask yourself just how often you think you will be making waffles and whether, if having gone without them till now, whether they will be a valued and regular part of your diet, before buying.

Ask yourself whether you really want to incorporate this doughy pastry, covered in sweet, fattening goo, into a regular part of your and your family's diet?

I found that all they did was make a lot of dirty dishes and made me and my family gain weight.

tracyj, Jun 14, 9:26pm
We have a Breville heart shaped one too. It's great but doesn't get used very often (kept in the shed).

rotormotor7, Mar 6, 8:03am
i have a cascade (red shed brand) that makes the traditional slice of bread size waffles with the squares.

had to buy 2nd hand off here as the ones in all the stores either silly heart shaped, or animal shaped ones...

used for first time today..cooked them perfectly in the correct shape :)
i just googled today for the recipe for batter. served with maple syrup and bacon for lunch

wron, Mar 6, 9:15am
Great to use right now with blueberries and blackberries in season. But for 2 people it's a bit of a pain as most recipes have 3 eggs which makes heaps so we halve them - 1/2 of 3!!!! The mix lasts a day or so in a covered bowl in the fridge though.
Buzzy - it's the yummy cream which is the most fattening!!!!!!!

lindylambchops1, Mar 6, 9:28am
Have Breville here & use the 4 Ingredients recipe which serves 4
2 cups SR flour
1/4 -1/2 cup oil
1/2 - 1 cup milk
Preheat waffle maker.Combine all ingredients (use whizz) pour approx 1/2 batter into waffle maker & cook approx 4 mins.Our family loves them!Adjust flour & add rolled oats for a change.Top with whatever you like.

wron, Mar 7, 4:32am
Hi LIndy - no eggs?

punkinthefirst, Mar 7, 5:57am
I bought a Breville, hoping it mightbe easier to clean than the old cast iron waffle iron I inherited (which my grandfather made for my grandmother).
Even using the old family recipe, the waffles are not as crisp from the Breville, though it certainly is much easier to clean!
Do I have to tweak the recipe?
Oh, and for those who find that they have way too many waffles for their family - if you cook them to a "just underdone" stage, you can freeze them for later use.Just pop a frozen waffle into the toaster until it is crisp, then top and serve in the normal way.

lindylambchops1, Mar 7, 6:44am
Yes NO EGGS!that is why I like that recipe.From the 4 Ingredients book by McCosker & Bermingham.

rotormotor7, Mar 7, 8:03am
i have a cascade (red shed brand) that makes the traditional slice of bread size waffles with the squares.

had to buy 2nd hand off here as the ones in all the stores either silly heart shaped, or animal shaped ones.

used for first time today.cooked them perfectly in the correct shape :)
i just googled today for the recipe for batter. served with maple syrup and bacon for lunch

trev106, Mar 7, 8:22am
We also have the breville heart one. we use it a few times a month. Would reccomend it :)

cgvl, Mar 7, 9:05am
punkinthefirst this is my waffle and pancake recipe:
2tsp sugar
2eggs seperated
300g or 3 cups selfraising flour
2Tbsp cornflour
1cup milk
1cup water
pinch salt.
Vanilla essence
80g butter melted
Method:
cream the sugar and egg yolks together until light and fluffy.
add a few drops of van essence and the water and milk,
the add the flour and cornflour, mix well.
Add more milk or water until you get the batter consistency you like ( I find I need about ½ cup more than recipe says but then I use generous measurements)
add butter which has been melted.
Beat egg whites with pinch of salt until stiff and fold into flour mix.
Use approx ½ cup batter for each waffle makes at least 12 waffles.
Hint:
I use the electric beaters up to when I add the egg whites. I then use a wire whisk to fold in the egg whites, just don't beat them in.
Also if I'm in a hurry I just beat eggs with sugar and add all the other ingredients and they still come out fine.
The come out of the waffle maker quite crisp but if left to sit will go soft.

wron, Mar 7, 9:15am
Great to use right now with blueberries and blackberries in season. But for 2 people it's a bit of a pain as most recipes have 3 eggs which makes heaps so we halve them - 1/2 of 3! The mix lasts a day or so in a covered bowl in the fridge though.
Buzzy - it's the yummy cream which is the most fattening!

wron, Mar 8, 4:32am
Hi LIndy - no eggs!

punkinthefirst, Mar 8, 5:57am
I bought a Breville, hoping it mightbe easier to clean than the old cast iron waffle iron I inherited (which my grandfather made for my grandmother).
Even using the old family recipe, the waffles are not as crisp from the Breville, though it certainly is much easier to clean!
Do I have to tweak the recipe!
Oh, and for those who find that they have way too many waffles for their family - if you cook them to a "just underdone" stage, you can freeze them for later use.Just pop a frozen waffle into the toaster until it is crisp, then top and serve in the normal way.

cgvl, Mar 8, 9:05am
punkinthefirst this is my waffle and pancake recipe:
2tsp sugar
2eggs seperated
300g or 3 cups selfraising flour
2Tbsp cornflour
1cup milk
1cup water
pinch salt.
Vanilla essence
80g butter melted
Method:
cream the sugar and egg yolks together until light and fluffy.
add a few drops of van essence and the water and milk,
the add the flour and cornflour, mix well.
Add more milk or water until you get the batter consistency you like ( I find I need about ½ cup more than recipe says but then I use generous measurements)
add butter which has been melted.
Beat egg whites with pinch of salt until stiff and fold into flour mix.
Use approx ½ cup batter for each waffle makes at least 12 waffles.
Hint:
I use the electric beaters up to when I add the egg whites. I then use a wire whisk to fold in the egg whites, just don't beat them in.
Also if I'm in a hurry I just beat eggs with sugar and add all the other ingredients and they still come out fine.
The come out of the waffle maker quite crisp but if left to sit will go soft.

lindar, Jun 14, 4:06am
on whether you like yours or not.thanks

cgvl, Jun 15, 4:58am
I have a Breville, makes really nice good sized waffles. use it weekly especially at the weekends.
great for making both savoury and sweet.
Do I like it yes, easy to use yes. Good recipes . well I only use one and use it for making pancakes (crepes) as well.
Makes bread and butter plate sized waffles, you can get other types that make different shapes etc.

buzzy110, Jun 15, 5:48am
In my household, it became just another gadget cluttering up my precious cupboard space and gathering dust. Ask yourself just how often you think you will be making waffles and whether, if having gone without them till now, whether they will be a valued and regular part of your diet, before buying.

Ask yourself whether you really want to incorporate this doughy pastry, covered in sweet, fattening goo, into a regular part of your and your family's diet!

I found that all they did was make a lot of dirty dishes and made me and my family gain weight.

tracyj, Jun 15, 9:26pm
We have a Breville heart shaped one too. It's great but doesn't get used very often (kept in the shed).