Red or green?

geldof, Jun 12, 8:14am
Which chillies are hottest? have dozens of green, now going red. TIA

korbo, Jun 12, 8:19am
first year for having a plant. noticed today they have gone from green to orange... . red next ? ? ? ?

geldof, Jun 12, 8:21am
My first year too. thought i had bought capsicums, duh. love chilli, but so many all at once. ? ? ? Mine didn't go orange.

antoniab, Jun 14, 2:39am
I think its more to do with the size of the chilli - the smaller the hotter. A lot of chillis with go red if you leave them on the plant but in saying that theres always exceptions to the rule :)

westflora, Jun 15, 8:23am
the heat depends on what variety they are.

pickles7, Jun 15, 8:44am
mine are hottest when they go red.

geldof, Jun 15, 9:31am
Mine are the ones like tom uses on Tom's Kitchen. Used a red one tonight in a curry. Perfect. thanks everyone

fisher, Aug 10, 10:57am
"As a rule red fresh fruit are two or three times hotter than green fruit, and dried pods are up to ten times hotter than fresh pods. "
"The seeds and white pith of a chilli are the hottest part, so remove them if you don't want your dish to be too fiery. "
Peri Peri is made from the tips of red chillies. . I love the stuff...
I dry my chillies as well as freeze the prime ones in sealed labelled bags. . a 1/2 tsp of my dried can make a dish "throat firey" but with a magic flavour without KILLING the actual dish flavours. .
I dont understand folks that want it so hot they cant taste anything else... bravado, I imagine... . :}}