I love bran muffins......do you have a never fail

abbey_magick, Jun 8, 2:36am
Recipe?

cookessentials, Jun 8, 3:08am
x2
I still make the ones off the old packet of "Vi-Bran" and they are just beautiful

Vi-Bran Muffins
140g (5 oz/1large cup) Flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
115g (4oz 1. 5 cups) Vi Bran
55g (2oz 1/4 cup) sugar
1 egg
1 level tsp soda
225g (8oz) milk
1 tbsp golden syrup
1 tbsp butter

Sift flour, baking powder and salt. Add Vi-Bran and sugar. Beat egg well, add soda dissolved in milk, then butter and golden syrup, warmed together. Stir liquid quickly into the dry ingredients until the flour is just dampened. Put in cold, greased patty tins Bake at 220 deg C for 12-15 minutes.

pam.delilah, Jun 8, 4:26am
Foolproof Bran Muffins

. Mix together:- 1 ½ cups Bran
½ cup wheatgerm
1 ½ cups milk
2 heaped Tbsp golden syrup
Mix in 2 eggs and beat well.

Stir the following dry ingredients together in a bowl
1 cup plain flour
½ cup wholemeal
1 cup brown sugar
2 rounded tsp (not heaped) Baking soda
½ tsp salt

Fold these into the wet mix DON’T over mix or beat as this results in tough muffins
The addition of about 1-1 ½ cups of dried fruit makes yummy muffins
Bake at 180 C for about 20 mins in well greased muffin pans .

juliewn, Jun 8, 8:19am
This is our favourite. .

Bran Muffins:

Preheat oven to 190°C.
Melt in a microwave proof bowl or a saucepan: 4 tablespoons golden syrup and 50gms butter or margarine.
While that's melting, sieve into a large bowl: 2 cups flour, 3 tsp baking powder, 1 cup brown or white sugar, 1 tsp salt.
Add 2 cups baking bran and mix in.
Pour 2 cups of milk into a bowl.
Add 2 eggs to the milk and beat or whisk in well.

To this, add one of the following: 1 mashed banana, 1 large apple, grated - skin on is good, 1 medium sized carrot or pear grated, 1 cup of cold mashed pumpkin, 1 grated courgette, 1 cup cooked or fresh peaches mashed or chopped into small pieces, etc. . etc. .

Add 2 tsp baking soda to the melted butter and golden syrup and mix in well until the mix begins to bubble.
Make a hollow in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour the milk and egg mix into the bran mix.
Pour the butter mix over, and mix lightly until just combined.
Place into lightly greased muffin pans (or set paper cases inside the pans) and bake about 12-15 minutes or till cooked.

These freeze well also. .

Enjoy. . :-)

Variations:
Add one of the following:

1 to 2 tablespoons cocoa
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup coconut
1 cup of dried fruit - sultana's, raisins or currants, chopped dates, etc...
Add 3 tsp ground ginger and 2 tsp cinnamon for a ginger/spice flavour.
Add 1 cup of a mix of sultana's, raisins and currants, 1/2 cup chopped glace cherries and 3 tsp mixed spice for a Christmas touch. .
Add 1/2 cup of your choice of sesame, pumpkin or sunflower seeds, or linseeds.
Sprinkle a little raw sugar across the top of the mixture just before placing the trays in the oven, to achieve a crispy/sweet topping. .
Add 1/c cup chopped nuts.

indy95, Jun 8, 11:44pm
I might as well add my version too:

2 c SR flour
2 c baking bran or 1 c bran and 1 c wheatgerm
1 t salt
1-2 t cinnamon
2 t baking powder
2 rounded tbsps golden syrup or treacle
1/4 to 1/2 c raw or brown sugar
1 c milk
1/2 c oil
1 t baking soda
1 egg

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.

Melt together syrup or treacle, sugar, milk and oil then stir in baking soda and beaten egg.

Add to dry ingredients and mix together just until combined. Spoon mixture into well oiled muffin pans.

Bake at 190 - 200C for 15 to 20 mins. Makes 24.

abbey_magick, Jun 9, 4:43am
Awesome. Thanks guys

calista, Jun 9, 12:18pm
Cookessentials thanks for the old Vi-Bran recipe. I used to make it every week as part of my baking as my 3 brothers loved them. They were called "ragamuffins" in our house because they weren't as smooth as the Queen Cakes I also made.

Was Vi-bran an oat or wheat bran (or doesn't it matter) because I'd like to make them again.

Abbey I now make thebran muffin in Alison Holst's "Healthy Muffins" book. No Butter or egg. I find it useful as I often don't have eggs in the house. And really simple too - if you want it sing out.

willman, Jun 12, 8:49am
Sultana Bran Muffins:

1 3/4 cups Bran Flakes, 1 1/4 Plain Flour, 1 tspn baking soda, 4 Tblspns Golden Syrup, 2 Tblspns melted butter, 1 cup milk, 1 egg, 1 cup sultanas.

Sift plain flour and baking soda into a bowl. Add sultanas and stir in. Lightly beat egg with milk and add. Add melted butter and golden syrup. Mix lightly and put into 12 muffin pans and cook @ 180 - 200 oC for 12-15 mins.

jo_partington, Feb 10, 1:44am
I have carried the vi bran muffins recipe cut from the packet for the last 25 odd yrs. It is great with banana mashed into it. I had my stuff in storage and was upset as i wanted to bake and didnt have access to my cook books, boufriend said google it....and i thought he was silly...how happy i was to come across another lover of vi bran muffins :)