Daughters 21st help

kat197, Feb 16, 12:21am
My daughter is 21 come June and we have 100 people i cant afford catering so im doing it myself and need some ideas as i would like it to be special of course, thought of doing a lamb on spit with bread buns and salad but would be nice to have other selections either at the supper time or pass around earlier in the evening. oh and should i do dessert! ! ! Shes a pretty special girl. Any thoughts much appreciated thanks

lil_miss_haley, Feb 16, 12:33am
I had my 21st almost a year ago in march and we did all the catering ourselves. I had a joint party with my best mate at my parents farm and we had around 90 people there. We did 2 lambs on spits (luckily being on the farm I got them free from my parents). We got 200 bread rolls, in hindsite we probably only needed 150 ish. Close friends and family bought salads (rice, green, potato, pasta). That was plenty for dinner. Before the main meal we had cheese and crackers, potato chips, veges and dips. For dessert we had the 2 birthday cakes, a couple of pavs, fruit salad and whipped cream.

It was a great night, snacks etc were put out when people started showing up (around 4pm), the first lamb was carved around 7. 30 - 8ish then some of the other lamb was carved at midnight for people who showed up later and other starving drunk people. Dessert was served around 9pm.

Hope that helps :)

245sam, Feb 16, 12:49am
sorry about#3, better luck this time... . .

kat197, lil_miss_haley has given you some great info'/advice and for more ideas have a look at "The party/wedding/gathering recipe thread" which you'll find at:-
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Community/MessageBoard/Messages. asp
x? id=9

Hope all goes well, both with all the prep and the party itself and that your "pretty special girl" has a very happy birthday and a party that she'll really remember for years to come. :-))

rarogal, Feb 16, 1:50am
I replied to your dessert question in the other thread! !

redrustie, Feb 16, 1:55am
Do you want to do picky buffet type things or something hot? I'd do things that you can prepare earlier and either heat or defrost later, things like sausage rolls, quiches, etc. If hot (and you're getting towards winter in June) you could either do a spit/bar-b or have a selection of curries, fish pie, etc. and rice.

beaker59, Feb 16, 5:12am
Get various family members to bring thier BBQ's then it can be as simple as sausages bread tom sauce onion rings mustard sauce like outside bunnings through to what ever. I once bought a whole sheep then chopped up into steaks chops etc then marinated it allin a couple of 20l buckets using cheap wine, garlic and fresh mint then BBQ'd. You can also do steaks etc also maybe buy lots of mince and make burger patties buns salads etc and have Burgers assemble your own. For 21sts its more about volume of food than quality particularly if you have young people drinking. Also make sure there are plenty of non alcoholic drink options.

rainrain1, Feb 16, 5:18am
Ask some of your guests to bring salads and some to bring dessert. Most people wouldn't mind a bit and it is a chance to show off their favourtie dishes... ...

theanimal1, Feb 16, 6:28am
Use a savoury short pastry recipe - or purchase some - this rolls out and bakes and looks a little like flattened shortbread, though tastes different. .

Roll out until about 3-4mm thick. . a little thicker than you would have pastry for a pie. Cut into small circles with a cookie cutter - the crinkle-edged ones look good.

Bake as per the recipe or packet instructions. Leave till completely cold and freeze until the day they're needed - or make a few days ahead and keep in an airtight container.

You can decorate them as you wish. . some of the following can be made in advance, then placed on the circles not long before being ready to serve:

* Mix some cream cheese and salmon or smoked salmon together, add chopped chives or a little chopped mint. Season to taste. Spread over the circles, top with a small piece of smoked salmon.

* A slice of avocado, a slice of tomato and some smoked salmon on top. .

* Make some guacamole, and spread a thick layer over the circle, sprinkle with paprika and top with a small wedge of tomato.

* Use some cream cheese, seasoned to taste and a little lemon juice added, and spread on the circles. Top with some caviar.

* Spread a little hummous on the circles, then top with a thin layer of pesto.

* Place a slice of tomato on the circles, then top with pesto.

* Place a slice of cucumber on the circles, top with finely chopped mint mixed into some cream cheese, cottage cheese or hummous and season to your taste.

* Mix some finely chopped sundried tomato and some finely chopped mint into some cream, cottage cheese or hummous and spread on the circles. . top with a tiny piece of mint or parsley.

* Mix some chopped smoked salmon into some hummous - season to taste if needed, spread on the circles and decorate.

* Mix some sweet chilli sauce or some pickle, chutney or relish into cream cheese, cottage cheese or hummous, season if needed and spread on the circles and decorate.

* Mix some chopped gherkins into cream cheese, cottage cheese or hummous and season if needed, add smoked salmon if you want, spread on the circles and decorate.

* Other ingredients you could use:

* Salami, chopped or sliced in circles
* Olives - sliced or chopped
* Fresh herbs - parsley, mint, lemon balm, thyme, sage, etc. .
* Grilled chopped crispy bacon
* Hard boiled eggs chopped through cream cheese, cottage cheese or hummous and seasoned.
* Slices of hard boiled egg.
* Mashed hardboiled eggs, a little mayonnaise added and seasoned to taste - add a little curry powder and some chopped parsley - the good ole savoury egg recipe adapted to top the circles.
* Thin slices of fresh tuna
* Whatever you fancy... .

theanimal1, Feb 16, 6:29am
Bacon, Cheese and Onion Croquettes

2 cups fresh soft breadcrumbs. . 2 spring onions. . 1 cup grated cheese. . 3 rashers bacon. . 1/2 tsp salt. . pepper. . 1 cup dried breadcrumbs. . 1 egg. . 1 tbsp water... Add sliced spring onions to soft crumbs, add cheese... Mix in diced bacon and season... Leave in fridge to cool ... Shape as required... Beat egg and water, dip in croquettes then roll in dry crumbs... Place in fridge to help set and then fry in butter/oil... Can dip in Coat n Cook if wanted. .

theanimal1, Feb 16, 6:30am
Chicken Croquettes

80g butter or marg
small onion finely chopped
1/2tsp dried thyme1/2tsp dried oregano
2 cups finely chopped cooked chicken
2 T flour
2 T chopped parsley
1 T french mustard
1 t salt
pinch black pepper
2 tablespoons milk
1 egg lightly beaten
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Melt 30g of the butter in a large heavy frying pan. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat until soft- about 5 min. Blend in the thyme and oregano and cook 1 min more. Stir in the chicken, flour, parsley, mustard, salt, pepper and milk and cook for 3 min. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the egg and cheese.

Pour the mixture into a buttered medium sized dish spreading it evenly. Chill in the freezer for 15 min or until stiff enough to shape

Take the dish from the freezer and shape into patties

Melt the remaining butter in the pan over moderately high heat and brown the croquettes for 3 to 4 min each side.

theanimal1, Feb 16, 6:31am
Chocolate Pate:

70g brazil nuts coarsely chopped
70g hazel nuts coarsely chopped
2 slices glace pineapple chopped(optional)
50g dried apricots chopped
125g shortbread biscuits broken
180g dark chocolate broken(I just used chocolate chips)
2/3 cup sugar
4T water
1C cocoa
180g butter, softened
1T brandy(or essence of your choice)
1t grated orange rind
1t grated lemon rind
1 whole egg
2 egg yolks, beaten with the whole egg.

Base line a 23x10cm load dish with plastic wrap
Melt chocolate on high for 1. 5-2min. Stir
Place sugar and water in a jug and microwave on medium for 2min, stirring once.
Combine softened butter and cocoa until smooth. Add to this mixture the sugar syrup, melted chocolate, brandy, grated rind and eggs.
Mix thoroughly, then fold into the combined nuts, biscuits and fruit. Spoon into the prepared loaf dish, pressing well down and smooth the surface. Refrigerate, covered, overnight. Store in refrigerator

theanimal1, Feb 16, 6:32am
Kumara

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 a pack of Mesclun with Herbs baby salad greens (pre-washed)

100g of Gouda cheese cut into tiny cubes

1 punnet of cherry tomaotes cut into quarters

2 medium sized potatos cut into cubes

1 medium sized kumera cut into cubes

6 slices of cucumber cut into cubes

3 slices of wholemeal bread cut into cubes

a couple of sprinkles of lemon pepper

2 tsp of Weight Watchers marg

Salt & Pepper

DIRECTIONS:

1 . Chuck potato and kumera into a microwave safe bowl, add marg, lemon pepper, salt & pepper and cook for 2mins. Check it & stir then microwave for a futher 2mins. Check it again & stir then microwave for a futher 1-2mins if needed (times may vary according to your microwave)... Put in fridge to cool down.

2. Chuck Mesclun, Gouda, Tomatoes & Cucumber into a decent sized bowl and toss.

3. Toast the bread in the oven to make croutons... leave to cool when done

4. Add Potato and Kumera to the salad bowl & toss

5. Add croutons to salad & toss

Kumara Sweet Potatoe Salad Recipe

Ingredients

* 3 Medium kumara(sweet potatoe)
* 4 spring onions
* 2 bananas
* 1/4 c lemon juice
* 1/2 c low fat sour cream
* 1/4 c mayonnaise
* 1 tsp curry powder
* pinch of salt
* pinch of Black pepper
* 1 Tblspn sesame seeds

Directions

1. Cut peeled kumara into pieces and cook in boiling salted water til tender
2. Drain and cool
3. Slice spring onions into diagonal 1cm pieces.
4. Cut bananas into roughly 5mm pieces
5. Place in bowl and pour in lemon juice and mix to coat
6. Cut cold kumara into cubes
7. Mix kumara, spring onions and bananas together
8. Mix sour cream, mayo, curry, salt and pepper together
9. Carefully mix through the kumara mixture
10. Place in serving bowl and garnish with sesame seeds

Banana and kumara salad

2 kumara (about 450g)
2 just ripe bananas, peeled and sliced
1 cup chopped pineapple (fresh or tinned)
1 red pepper, cut into thin strips
4 spring onions, sliced
1/4 cup fresh chopped mint
Banana and Kumara Salad.

Scrub the kumara but do not peel. Cut into large chunks and boil or steam until cooked but still firm. Drain, cool and cut into bite-sized chunks. Place with the banana, pineapple, red pepper, spring onion and mint in a bowl. Pour the dressing over and mix well and serve. Delicious served with barbequed fish or chicken. Serves 8 as a side salad.

theanimal1, Feb 16, 6:33am
Pavlova Roll

Ingredients

* 4 egg whites
* pinch salt
* 1 cup caster sugar
* 1 tsp vanilla esence
* 1 tsp vinegar
* 1 Tbsp cornflour
* 3-4 drops red food colouring
* caster sugar, extra
* FILLING
* 3 Tbsp cream
* 1 tsp orange liqueur
* 3/4 cup NESTLÉ White Melts, melted
* 1 cup cream, whipped
* 200 g strawberries, hulled and sliced

Preparation Time:
30 minutes
Cooking Time:
15 minutes
Method

1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line base and sides of a 30cm x 23cm x 3cm slice tin with baking paper.
2. Beat egg whites and salt in a large bowl until the peaks just fold over when the beater is removed. Gradually beat in caster sugar, 2 tablespoonfuls at a time. Continue to beat until the mixture is stiff and glossy.
3. Fold in vanilla essence, vinegar, cornflour and food colouring. Turn mixture into the tin and spread evenly.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
5. Lightly dust a sheet of baking paper with extra caster sugar. Turn out meringue onto the paper and leave to cool.
6. While meringue is cooling, prepare filling. Stir cream and liqueur into melted White Melts. Cool to room temperature then fold through whipped cream and strawberries.
7. Make a shallow cut along one long side of meringue about 2. 5cm in from the edge. Spread filling evenly over meringue.
8. Roll up meringue from the edge with the cut. If necessary, use the paper to help with rolling. Place on a serving dish and dust the roll with icing sugar.
9. Serve with extra strawberries if desired.

theanimal1, Feb 16, 6:34am
Ratatouille

Ingredients

1 tbsp oil
1 onion
1 aubergine
1 red pepper
half a green pepper
1 clove garlic
2 tins of tomatoes

Method

Heat the oil in a saucepan. Chop the onion and fry for one minute. Roughly chop the peppers and aubergine, add to the pan and fry for one minute. Crush the garlic and add to the pan with the tomatoes.

Bring to the boil, put the lid on the pan and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Take the lid off the pan, stir well and simmer for another 15 minutes.

Season with plenty of fresh black pepper and serve.

theanimal1, Feb 16, 6:35am
Thai Chicken Balls
Makes about 50 walnut sized balls. 1 kg chicken mince;80g fresh breadcrumbs;4 spring onions, sliced;1 tbsp ground coriander;50g chopped, fresh coriander;60ml sweet chilli sauce;1-2 tbsp lemon juice;oil for shallow frying. Mix the mince, and breadcrumbs in a large bowl. Add the spring onions, ground & fresh coriander;chilli sauce & lemon juice, to taste, mix well. With wet hands, form into evenly shaped walnut-sized balls. Preheat oven to 200c.
Heat about 3cm oil in deep frying pan to 180c, or until a cube of bread browns in 15 seconds. Shallow fry the balls in batched over high heat until golden. Bake on baking tray for 5 mins or until cooked through.

theanimal1, Feb 16, 6:37am
Grasshopper Pie

Preparation time:
40 mins

Cooking time:
25 mins

Serves:

Don't let the name fool you, this is one delicious pie.
Ingredients

* Melted butter, for greasing
* 250g packet plain chocolate-flavoured biscuits
* 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
* 180g unsalted butter, melted, cooled
* 1 cup milk
* 1/2 bunch mint
* few drops peppermint essence
* 3 egg yolks
* 1/2 cup caster sugar
* 1 tsp cornflour
* 1/4 cup cold water
* 1 Tbsp gelatine
* 1/4 cup crème de menthe
* 300ml thickened cream
* Extra cream, to serve (optional)

Method

1. Brush a 20cm round springform tin with melted butter and line the base with baking paper. Process biscuits in a food processor until fine crumbs form, then transfer to a large bowl. Add coconut and butter and stir until well combined. Spoon biscuit mixture into prepared tin. Use a straight-sided sturdy glass to press biscuit mixture evenly up the sides and across the base of tin. Put biscuit-lined tin in freezer for 10 minutes.

2. Combine milk and mint in a medium heavy-based pan and put over a low heat for 3-4 minutes or until small bubbles form around the edge. Remove pan from heat and stand to cool. Strain milk through a fine sieve and discard mint. Whisk egg yolks, sugar and cornflour in a bowl. Slowly add mint-infused milk to egg-yolk mixture, whisking constantly. Return custard to pan and stir, constantly, on a medium heat until it thickens. Remove from heat and cover top of custard with plastic wrap, to prevent a skin forming.

3. Pour water into a jug, sprinkle with gelatine and whisk with a fork to combine. Stand gelatine for 5 minutes, to allow it to soften and swell. Microwave gelatine mixture on HIGH/100% for

30-40 seconds or until gelatine has dissolved. Allow to cool slightly. Add gelatine mixture and crème de menthe to custard. Stir until well combined.

4. Pour custard into a large mixing bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until mixture is cold and starts to thicken, but not set. Using an electric hand beater, beat cream until soft

peaks form. Add cream to cold custard and fold in using a large metal spoon. Spoon custard mixture into prepared biscuit shell and refrigerate pie for 2-3 hours to set. Serve Grasshopper pie with extra cream, if desired.

nzhel, Feb 17, 12:50am
I'd just like to thank you the animal1 for all the effort you put in providing so many recipes to members requiring help. I'm sure, and would hope your time is much appreciated!

kat197, Feb 17, 6:55pm
This is awesome guys sounds like you had a great 21st lil miss haley i was thinking along those lines too thankyou for letting me know how it all went because i wasnt too sure if it would be acceptable with bread rolls and salad.
the animal1 thankyou for the awesome recipies you have some wonderful ideas and i will definitely be trying some much appreciated!

510, Feb 17, 7:07pm
For my nieces 21st, my sister did ham on the bone, & other cold meats differentcheeses and fresh rolls etc , people could come and go all night with their fillings of choice. They had it at home so it was the kind of food people could easily eat standing up. Desert was fresh fruit and the cake was a tower of home made truffles stuck with melted hot choc to the cardboard. You could provide a hot type mexican flavoured mince to go on wraps or tortillas etc. My thoughts are the simpler the better cos you also want to be able to enjoy it as well, it depends on how many helpers you have and who else of your family and friends are willing to help on the day or with the prep b4 hand.

lil_miss_haley, Feb 17, 7:24pm
Thanks kat, yea we did the same thing for my brother's 16th the year before and dad's 50th last year, and we're doing it again on saturday for my other brothers engagement party. Everyone comments on how great it is, and we're lucky to have a lean to at the back of our barn with big shelves which is perfect to set it all up. People don't seem to really be fussed with what their eating and are more just there to celebrate (and drink! ).

And as 510 said, you want it to be simple because you want to enjoy the day, it was just a matter of having someone carve the lamb and put the food and plates out and everyone can just help themselves. Salads etc can be easily prepared beforehand.

sandra22, Mar 25, 5:42am
If you want to cook up a big batch of butter chicken for 100 and want it quick and easy but tasting amazing, then I can help. I make my own butter chicken spice mix that's all natural with no nasty stuff like the supermarket and am now selling them in little packets that make up a meal for 2-3. But we've just gone into catering sized packets just for this purpose.

It's so much quicker to make this way as you don't need to buy all the individual spices or roast and grind them as it's all be done for you. The catering size packet will make 100 serves and comes with the recipe to tell you how to make it.

I've done all the pricing and it works out to about $4 a head once made up. Pretty good value!

You can have a look at my website www.butterchicken.co.nz for more info. You won't see the catering size pack there but if you email me at sandra@butterchicken.co.nz I can organise it all for you.

lindz99, Dec 5, 3:05pm
I saw this idea for a birthday cake recently and have just used it myself with LOTS of great comments.

Make your favourite chocolate cake. Buy chocolate wafer biscuites and ice to the outside edges of your cake and ice cadbury chocolates to the top instead of icing. This looks amazing and it has great effect for little effort and money.