Hand making bread

kennedy10, Jun 5, 5:31am
i am a keen bread maker, by hand not machine! Its so lovely and soothing to do, and tastes lovely! I have a few recipes, but would love some new ones. The ones I have only make one loaf. I got some books out the library - and googled of course - but a lot of them are american, and I would love some "tried and true" recipes. . any out there! ! ? ? ! !

lx4000, Jun 5, 9:54am
I don't and never have used a recipe when making bread by hand.

Buy what you want to add to it and off ya go!

I add things like
kibbled grain, seeds, herbs, garlic, wholemeal flour, dried fruits, wheat germ etc:)

If your wanting to make more, add more water and a bit more yeast! !

I made some nice buns last week. Rolled into balls and placed on the baking tray to rise and they came out mmMmm :)

(barloo)

kennedy10, Jun 6, 1:55am
Awesome thank you! i can't use the American ones as I am too lazy to convert the amounts needed, and they seem to use fresh yeast - which I have never seen in the shops

sanders4, Jun 6, 2:16am
Our breadmaker seized at the beginning of a wholemeal cycle, my wife finished it by hand and it was just fine so any recipe could obviously be done manually. Bought machine off Trademe so now back to relaxing while bread is cooking.

lilyfield, Jul 10, 6:41pm
any breadmaker recipe can be used by hand. like lx400 said- I also never use a recipe for making bread. Once you have the "feel" for the dough you don't need one.