No mirin

dorothy_vdh, May 31, 11:10pm
I have found a recipe I would like to make for dinner, but it has mirin in it. I don't have any and don't want to go out to get any.
What could I substitute it with? Thanks

cookessentials, May 31, 11:34pm
Mirin is a sweet Japanese rice wine. Mirin is used for cooking, only, mainly in sauces and glazes. It gives a nice glaze to grilled foods. If a recipe calls for Mirin or rice wine, you may substitute sherry or white wine with a little sugar.

pickles7, May 31, 11:34pm
make something else, using what you have got, or use white wine.

dorothy_vdh, May 31, 11:36pm
thanks white wine it is then

tixy, Jun 29, 3:58pm
Sherry (or what I use instead that is a bit of cheapskates way out - fortified wine from the supermarket... ) make a good alternative.

The last time I went to my Asian supermarket to get some mirin, they were out of my normal brand so I bought some "Standad Rice Wine" 20% alc/vol, $6 a litre. I thought this was pretty good value. Until i opened it!
My goodness, what a horrid thing it was. Formeldehyde would be the closest I can get to describing it!
Couldnt even feed it to the piglets, but when I tipped it down the sink, my sink shone for days! ! ! I have thought about getting some more to clean the enamel bath, but cant stand the smell... .