Suddenly poor with 10yr girl birthday 5th june

roys351, May 29, 11:58am
thankfully i had already sorted pressies have chicken drumsticks and homemade hot chips, the usual chips etc . HELP WITH SOMETHING EXTRA FOR MAIN OR A WAY OF SPICING UP THE CHICKEN DRUMS

toadfish, May 29, 12:14pm
How many children are coming? ... what else to you plan to do? . . just so we can get into the mood of what type of food to suggest.

I like to marinate chicken drumticks in a honey/Soya/Garlic/Ginger mixture. . thats always nice. A big bowl of homemade coleslaw would go nicely with your chicken & chips combination. Or children love plain old sausages & sauce , get the BBQ going and have a loaf of fresh white bread.

Homemade hamburgers are always easy and go down well. You could make a large pot of chilli con carne (mince) and serve with corn chips and sourcream. Homemade pizza. Bread cases with spaghetti, Onion & Cheese in them. You can get Frozen sausage rolls for about $4 for 5 long Sausage rolls that can be cut into 20-25 small sausage rolls- Children love em... . again plenty of sauce... .

kob, May 29, 7:00pm
theres always fairy bread(100s & 1000s on thin buttered bread cut into 1/4s) and a pot of saveloys they are inexpensive to provide, plus some small warehouse party drinks or better still make spiders (icecream & fizzy with some food colouring)cram on top with sprinkles. Make fairy cakes (just good old cupcakes decorated sancy) and party food you have LOL

nanana4, May 29, 7:40pm
Could do large bowls of home made popcorn for table snack or take home treat. Can be caramel coated, coloured or salted. Made in pot or done in microwave. Cheap, looks decorative and tastes yummy. Maybe even get children to help and give suggestions for a bit of fun.
Home made marshmellow is also cheap and easy to make. Could do different colours, cut into cubes when cold and roll in plain or toasted coconut.

ruby19, May 30, 2:12am
What about Coca-Cola chicken
Content
1 cup brown sugar
1 can Coca-Cola?
2 medium onions, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tbs. soya sauce (a Japanese sauce)
salt and pepper to taste
2-3 lbs. of chicken wings or ribs
In a large casserole, combine the brown sugar, Coca-Cola? , onions, garlic, soya
sauce, salt and pepper. Stir until mixed. Place chicken wings or ribs in sauce mixture.
Bake at 350 degrees for 2 hours. To thicken sauce, mix in a cornstarch mixture.
Delicious served with rice.
– Submitted by Karen Brunetta of Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada
Recipe: Coca-Cola Chicken Wings
(or Ribs)…

teddy147, May 30, 2:23am
i know how you feel, my sons 10 on the 5th as well, and we are so broke at the moment.
we are having a winter bbq, burgers and they can choose what they want to put on it, lettuce, pickles, onions, tomatoes, beetroot, cheese and sauces. we have 20 people coming so some are brining a plate to help out. he wanted a carrott cake for his birhtday cake so that is easy.

jaybee2003, May 30, 4:17am
Inexpensive 'chocolate' treat that is partyish - the grandchildren arrived unexpectedly today and were hoping for something sweet, but the biscuit jar and lolly jar were bare, so I quickly made scone dough, pressed it out flat, spread on some Hazelnut spread [the Pams cheaper equivalent of Nutella], rolled up the dough as for pinwheel scones, Baked 1cm thick slices - the kids loved them. Cheap and easy.

moby1968, May 30, 8:13am
YUMMO... i do ordinary pinwheels and savoury but had never considered choc spread. . Thanks for the add to my recipe book

dave653, May 30, 9:16pm
My daughter is 13 on the 5th (Noooooooo) The missus usually does a fruit platter, various bits of fruit, chocolate and yoghurt covered raisins, cheese balls, anything really... all on a big platter. Kids love it! Oh, try to stay away from anything red, screws them up.
'Sugar in... Brains out! '

purplegoanna, May 30, 10:18pm
spice up your drumstick by coating them in crushed up nacho corn chips!

roiri, Jun 22, 10:10am
does any one have a recipe for banana cake. and cheese scones