Easy Pot Luck Dinner "Ideas Please"

tracyceebe, May 28, 3:44am
Hi all I'm invited to a pot luck dinner tomorrow night, i would like to take something other than my usal Quiche or bacon and egg pie, Something yummy and easy to prepare and affordable please. Any ideas will be much appreciated. Thanks

cookessentials, May 28, 3:52am
We had a good thread with a heap of ideas. I will try and find it and bump it up for you.

ttwisty, May 28, 3:56am
Iranian Pumpkin Pie

2lb Pumpkin
salt
8oz grated cheese
1/4 t ground cumin
3 eggs
2 oz fresh breadcrumbs
2T chopped parsley
Ground black pepper
1 oz butter

Scrape seeds out of pumpkin, remove the skin and grate the flesh into a bowl. Sprinkle with salt. Mix well and leave to stand for 30 mins. Squezze out liquid with back of fork.
Preheat oven to 180 C. Add chesse to pumpkin and mix well. (i use a processor for this). Add cumin with eggs, breadcrumbs, parsley and seasonings beat well til smooth. Pour into dish dot with butter. Bake 45 min

tracyceebe, May 28, 4:38am
Thanks ttwisty that sounds so yummy. Does it matter that i don't have a food processor to do the cheese and pumpkin part. I also Also is it self crusting.
I have spied the other pot luck thread as wellthanks cookessentials

nik12, May 28, 4:51am
Macaroni cheese with cream corn and tinned salmon in it, was my Mum's standard and now mine yum yum yum.

ttwisty, May 28, 5:55am
no you do not have to have a processor and yes it is self-crusting

socram, May 28, 9:24am
Whole pumpkin - slice off the top & de-seed. Put in a bowl, cover with gladwrap and microwave until cooked, (40 mins? ) with the pumpkin top back on it. )You don't need any liquid. Use a high sided bowl to keep the pumpkin together and don't overcook or it will collapse.

Meanwhile, make up a chili con carne. (I'm sure you can manage that easily enough... ) When both are cooked, put the meat mix into the pumpkin and take along some sour cream to spoon onto the top. (Leftovers make a superb soup... )

Vegetarian option - cook up an onion & (optional: garlic, chopped red capsicum, chopped sundried tomatoes, sweet corn kernels, mushrooms etc) add a packet or two of frozen spinach until it has heated through. Add a mix of diced cheeses - feta, cheddar, brie, camembert or/and sour cream, season with black pepper. (Any left overs odds or ends of cheese will do).

Always goes down well... Quick, cheap and easy and you can't really get it wrong.

You can pop the top back on for transportation only. Cover with glad wrap and sit the bowl on an old towel and cover with another old towel to keep the heat in.

tracyceebe, May 28, 10:28pm
Thank you ttwisty I going to try your Iranian Pumpkin Pie. Its sounds delicious. socram you idea sounds yummy as well. Thanks for your help.

mber2, May 29, 1:03am
ttwisty
Re Iranian pumpkin pie, can i use any sort of cheese for the pie
or what sort do you use to buy
thanks

tracyceebe, May 29, 5:01am
I've made my Iranian pie, I think it may have come out better if i could of blended it maybe. It looks yummy any way I wonder what i should serve with it.

ttwisty, Jul 5, 10:59am
i just use either tasty or cheddar or whats in the fidge at the time