We Love Our Curries

Page 1 / 2
skata, Nov 7, 1:41am
Does anyone out there have a great curry recipe?

davidt4, Nov 7, 1:45am
Rogan Josh

8 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
6cm piece of ginger, grated
2 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp chilli flakes (or more)
2 tsp paprika (not smoked paprika)
2 tsp coriander powder
1 kg lamb leg meat in 3cm pieces (or mutton or goat)

Mix well together and leave 2 hrs - overnight

5 tab veg oil or ghee
1 onion finely chopped
6 green cardamom pods
6 cloves
2 bay leaves
8cm cinnamon stick
6 curry leaves
200 ml plain yoghurt
1/2 tsp saffron strands
2 tab milk
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp salt

In large lidded pan heat oil over moderate heat.    Add  cardamom, cloves, bay leaves, curry leaves & cinnamon, fry 1 min.    Increase heat and add meat and onion.   Fry 5 min, stirring often.   Reduce heat to low, cover & cook 15 min.

Uncover & cook 5 - 10 min until meat is dry.    Add 100 ml water & cook until dry and oil starting to separate out.    Fry 5 min, add 250 ml water, cover, cook gently 60 - 90 min until almost tender.    Check liquid occasionally.    Should end up with very little liquid.    Add salt.

Meanwhile heat milk and add saffron; leave to infuse at least 30 min.  

Add yoghurt to meat & stir over heat until very hot.    Add milk & saffron, stir in gently.    Add garam masala, mix carefully.    Ta-
ke off heat and stand 10 - 30 min.

Serve with a plainish green vege dish (e. g. broccoli & potatoes with tumeric, ginger & tomato), and rice or chapattis.

davidt4, Nov 7, 1:46am
Malabar Chicken Curry

Chicken 700gm cleaned and cut into small pieces
Lemons or limes – 2 – 3
Oil 4 tbsp
Onions 3 medium chopped

Whole spices:
2"long Cinnamon stick
4 cloves
3 cardamom pods
1 black cardomom pod
1 tsp black peppercorns

Green and red chilies6 chopped 
Ginger 5cm
Garlic 8 cloves
Tomatoes 2 cups
Turmeric 3/4 tsp
Red chili powder 1 - 2 tsp
Coriander powder 4 tsp

Leaves: Coriander, Mint, Curry leaves - one sprig
Salt - to taste

1. Wash the chicken and toss it with lemon juice

2. Heat the oil in a large shallow pan, add the whole spices. Sauté till the fragrance fills the air and then add onions.

3. Fry onions till transparent, meanwhile grinding ginger, garlic and chillies to a paste.

4. Add paste to onions and stir well. Then add the tomatoes, all the spices and chicken and cook uncovered on low heat till water comes out. Do not add any water: it will prevent the spice powders from getting cooked. This will take between 60 - 80 minutes. Towards the end keep stirring to avoid the spices from getting stuck to the pan.

5. Add salt. Check to see if the chicken is cooked. Add ½ cup water and now cook it covered for five minutes to let the chicken cook well. Add the leaves, leaving the coriander leaves for the last, after switching off the flame.

davidt4, Nov 7, 1:47am
Pork Padre Curry (Sri Lankan)

6 – 8

1. 5 kg pork, cubed
1 tab coriander seeds
2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp fennel seeds
2 large onions
2 tsp fresh ginger
2 tsp garlic
rind of ½ lemon
2 tsp chilli flakes
1 c water
1 c coconut milk
stick of cinnamon
½ tsp pepper
2 tsp salt
¼ c tamarind or vinegar
1 tab sugar
¼ c arrack or whiskey

Roast coriander, cumin & fennel, grind to a powder. Blend with onion, ginger, garlic, lemon, chilli & water.

Put in a large saucepan with coconut milk, pork, cinnamon, pepper, salt & tamarind/vinegar. Simmer 50 min.

Add sugar & arrack/whiskey, simmer uncovereduntil tender and thickened.

skata, Nov 7, 1:59am
Thanks for that, I'm going to enjoy one of those with my glass of red tonight.

davidt4, Nov 7, 2:05am
Just let me know if you want any more Indian or SE Asian recipes - I have a huge collection.

fishheadsoup, Nov 7, 7:24pm
yes please i would

pickles7, Nov 7, 7:47pm
I like to have a pkt of S & B "Golden Curry" sauce mix, in my cupboards these days. You find it in a box near the deli departments in most supermarkets, or in the Asian spice areas. I find myself too busy most of the time out of the kitchen, too much to do , running out of time, lol... ... They "tart" up any dish. and taste divine.

kirinesha, Nov 7, 9:28pm
This is one of my favourite Thai curries and very easy to make... . .

Chicken with Lime and Coconut

 1kg chicken thigh or breast meat / cut into thick strips
 1tbsp red curry paste (if using John West red curry paste I use 2tbsp as I find it’s not that hot)
 1 tbsp vegetable oil
 3 tbsp brown sugar
 4 lime leaves (I use 2 lemon leaves / whole if I don't have lime)
 2 tsp finely grated lime rind (I use lemon rind if I don’t have limes on hand)
 250ml coconut cream
 1 tbsp Thai fish sauce
 2 tbsp coconut vinegar (most Asian shops have this, it’s just a very mild vinegar, only a couple of dollars a bottle)
 3tbsp shredded coconut / coconut threads (otherwise use desiccated)
 4 fresh sliced chillies

1. Place chicken and curry paste in bowl and toss to coat
2. Heat the oil over high heat, add chicken and stir fry 5 mins or until lightly browned
3. Add sugar, lime leaves, line rind, coconut cream and fish sauce
4. Simmer over medium heat for 4 mins until sugar dissolves and caramelises
5. Stir in the vinegar and simmer until chicken is tender
6. Serve chillies on side if desired…

angel361, Nov 7, 10:03pm
does anyone have a butter chicken recipe that tastes authentic like the ones from the restaurants, or have a post that they can bump up, im sure there's one here somewhere, ta

davidt4, Nov 7, 10:08pm
We had this for dinner last night - it takes a bit of trouble to round up all of the ingredients but is so amazingly delicious that I make it regularly.

Thai Stir-fried Fish Curry
serves 2

Paste:

½ tsp white peppercorns
½ tsp fennel seeds
½ tsp cumin seeds
3 long dried chillies, deseeded and soaked in warm water 30 min
1 tsp salt
3 red shallots, chopped
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp galangal, chopped
1 stalk lemongrass, trimmed and chopped
6 coriander roots, scrubbed and chopped
1 tsp Thai shrimp paste, roasted

Curry:

350 g firm salmon or white fish (bluenose, hapuku, snapper, trevally etc)
8 snake beans (or equivalent of french beans, snow peas, asparagus, broccoli etc)
100 ml peanut oil
2 tab crushed palm sugar
2 tab fish sauce
2 tab dried shrimp, soaked in warm water 20 min

In small heavy pan roast spices separately until they just start to change colour. Grind. Wrap shrimp paste in foil and heat in pan for about 5 min until you can smell it.
Pound all paste ingredients in a mortar or grind in small food processor, adding a little cold water if necessary (NOT oil).

Blanch beans and drain. Drain shrimps and add to beans, mix with sugar and fish sauce. Cut fish into bite size chunks.

Heat wok over high heat, add half of oil, stir-fry fish (in batches) until starting to brown but not cooked through. Set fish aside.

Add remaining oil to wok, add paste and stir-fry until fragrant - about 5 min. Add beans etc and stir-fry 1 minute. Add fish, stir-fry 1 minute.

Serve with Jasmine rice. 

If I am using salmon I take the skin off, slice thinly and as a first step stir-fry in 1 tab oil until crisp. Remove skin and drain, retain oiland continue with recipe (you will need less peanut oil as the skin will give off a lot).

davidt4, Nov 7, 10:09pm
angel361 - have you tried a search of the message board ? This is a query which crops up regulalrly and I'm sure there must be some suggestions here.

davidt4, Nov 7, 10:11pm
Beef Massaman Curry

400 ml Coconut milk
2 tab Thai Massaman curry paste
1 disc Thai palm sugar
500g button mushrooms (whole)
1 tab Garlic chopped fine
1 tab Galangal chopped fine (optional)
1 tab Lemon grass chopped fine
800g rump or blade beef 1" cubes
300 ml chicken stock
1/2 tsp salt
4 kaffir lime leaves
3 - 5 tab nam pla (Fish sauce)
2 cups Potatoes cut into 2cm cubes
1 large onion thickly sliced
juice of 1 - 2 limes
1/2 c roasted peanuts, Thai basil, sweet basil basil leaves and coriander to serve.

In a large saucepan simmer the coconut milk until it splits. Add curry paste and sugar and stir 3 min.

Add mushrooms and stir 3 min.

Add beef, garlic, galangal & lemongrass, stir 3 min.

Add stock, salt, lime leaves, potatoes, onions and 3 tab fish sauce. Simmer 60 min, until beef is tender.

Add lime juice, check balance of salt, sweetness and sourness. Serve sprinkled with peanuts and herbs, with lots of jasmine rice. The curry should be quite wet.

angel361, Nov 7, 10:13pm
i really like making thai red and green curries and regularly use the packets from the supermarket containing pastes. I have probably asked you before as it seems so much trouble to go to to make your own paste and soo many ingredients, any ideas or suggestions how you can shortcut this, i. e. do you have any recipies with less ingredients, ta

davidt4, Nov 8, 12:15am
angel361 - the deliciousness of Thai curries comes from the complex balancing and layering of flavours. You can either do a complete shortcut with commercial pastes or do it properly. There really isn't a halfway point because if you leave out some of the flavourings it will throw everything out of balance. I encourage you to have a go at making at least one from scratch - even if you find it too demnding for everyday purposes it will give you a benchmark with which to compare curries made with packet pastes.

If you're interested in Indian or Sri Lankan curries, which are not as complex as Thai, I can give you a few examples which are quite simple.

angel361, Nov 9, 6:42am
yes please re:indian curries, the simplier the better, ta

fishheadsoup, Nov 9, 10:00am
me to davidt4 i love your curries and am on the buzz

skata, Nov 9, 7:00pm
Thanks for all the tips. Can I come over for dinner davidt4? ?

davidt4, Nov 9, 8:50pm
Here's a simple banana curry to serveas a side dish or for lunch with rice:

3 large firm bananas (ripe but not spotty)
2 tsp butter or ghee
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp tumeric (or 1 tab grated fresh tumeric)
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp chilli flakes
1/2 c yoghurt

In a frypan over medium heat melt butter and fry tumeric and cumin 2 minutes. Peel bananas and slice 3cm chunks, add to pan with salt and chilli, cook gently 5 - 6 minutes until tender. be careful not to crush banana. Add garam masala and yoghurt, simmer 10 min until most of the liquid is absorbed. Serve hot.

davidt4, Nov 9, 9:00pm
Oh thanks for the kind words. Flattery will get you everywhere... Here's a simple vege curry:

Dry Curry of Cauliflower or Broccoli with Potato

1 kg cauliflower or broccoli thickly sliced (1cm)
4 small potatoes, quartered
3 cm fresh ginger, grated
1 small onion, sliced thinly
1 1/2 tsp tumeric powder (or 2 tab grated fresh tumeric)
30 g butter or ghee
2 tsp salt
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp chilli flakes

In a large frying pan fry ginger and onion in butter 5 min. Add tumeric and vegetables, turn over in pan until coated with other ingredients. Sizzle 5 minutes, add salt and chilli. Cover and cook over low heat until tender, stirring carefully to avoid crushing.

When tender remove lid and cook until all liquid has evaporated. Add garam masala, stand off heat 5 minutes before serving.

Two delicious additions are 2 tab tamarind puree (make from block tamarind soaked and sieved) and 1/2 c mint leaves.

davidt4, Nov 9, 9:21pm
Here's a simple minced beef curry:

Beef Keema
SERVES: 4
INGREDIENTS
2 tab cooking oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tab chopped fresh ginger
700g lean mincedbeef (or venison or lamb)
2 1/2 tsp gr coriander
2 1/2 tsp gr cumin
1/4 tsp fresh-gr black pepper
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp salt
450g boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 c plain yogurt
3/4 c whole milk
3/4 c frozen peas
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 c chopped coriander

In a large deep frying pan, heat the oil over moderate heat. Add the onion and cook until starting to soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and ginger and cook 1 minute longer. Add the beef and cook until no longer pink, about 3 minutes. Drain off any fat.
Add the coriander, cumin, pepper, turmeric, cinnamon, and 1 tsp of the salt to the pan. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in the potatoes, yogurt, and milk. Bring just to a boil. Cover the pan. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Uncover the pan and simmer for 5 minutes longer.
3. Stir in the peas and the remaining 1/2 tsp salt. Simmer until the peas are just done, about 2 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and the coriander

davidt4, Nov 9, 9:23pm
Dhal with Raisins

200g yellow split peas or red lentils, washed
30g butter
6 cardamom pods – seeds only
2 chillies
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp tumeric
1 tsp garam masala
½ tsp chilli flakes
1 tsp salt
½ tsp sugar
2 tab raisins
2 tab desiccated coconut

Simmer channa in water 60 min until just tender. Leave in saucepan.

Fry butter, cardamom, chillies, cinnamon, cumin 2 – 3 min.
Add tumeric, garam masala, chilli flakes, salt, sugar. Stir 1 min.
Add raisins, coconut, stir 1 min.

Add mixture to channa, swirl pan with 1c water and add. Simmer 1 min.

Serve warm or cool.

pvilz, Nov 9, 9:50pm
bumping for me . . what yummy dishes! !

davidt4, Nov 9, 10:12pm
pvilz - I'm glad you like the recipes, but there is no longer any need to "bump" threads, as they last for a whole year now.

doug57, Nov 26, 10:49am
I don't suppose you have a recipe for Lamb Madras? . . I tasted some at the foodhall tonight [probably not an authentic one. . but oh my goodness it was absolutely DELICIOUS! ]
Would love to be able to replicate it at home :))[*fingers crossed* TIA]