Fresh wild rabbit

tehenga288, Jan 13, 9:07am
who has a good recipe for cooking the 2 rabbits we were given ? I was thinking a stew might be best

daisygirl, Jan 13, 9:10am
Slow in the oven, with lots of tomatoes and onions and seasoning. Just put them in a baking/roasting dish, etc.

fattestbiker, Jan 13, 9:13am
dogs dont kill poeple. . . rabbits do
proof. . .
http://www.youtube.com/watch? v=-eMObp6gENU&feature=relat
ed

uli, Jan 13, 8:22pm
I do mine in the slow cooker with red wine, thyme, rosemary, onions (fried in pan first to give better taste) and garlic, bay leaf etc.

You can either leave them in the fridge for a few days to "hang them" so they get a bit softer or you can marinade them in the above with a bit of vinegar added for a couple of days in the fridge before cooking.

Roasting in the oven will produce a dry tough leathery result, as they are so very lean and have no skin to protect them. If you must roast them then at least cover them entirely with streaky bacon, so the bacon will get crunchy - not the rabbit meat.

Serve with mashed potatoes with added cream and red cabbage cooked with apples, red wine, cinnamon and cloves and salt and pepper.

lythande1, Jan 14, 1:24am
Any slow cook or casserole chicken dish can be used with rabbits.

mypeaches, Jan 14, 5:49am
Our family favourite rabbit dish is . . . Apricot Rabbit:-)
I cut rabbit into 5 or 6 bits then make up maggi cook-in-pot apricot chicken. My SIL does a lovely KFR (Kentucky Fried Rabbit! ) she has her own 11 secret herbs 'n spices!

tehenga288, Jan 14, 9:40am
Thanks everyoneI'm going to try crockpot method. Uli do I still need to leave in fridge a few days if they have been frozen?

puresteam, Jan 14, 9:46am
I got mine fresh and was told to soak in salty water of 4or 5 hrs and I cut mine into peicesbefore soaking andthen pattered dry and floured and fried a little then placed incasserole dish with red wine onions and cooked very slow, really lovely dish.

uli, Jan 14, 11:12pm
No I wouldn't think so, I just thought they were fresh, as the title suggested. Good luck :)

tehenga288, Jan 14, 11:44pm
Thanks Uli- they were fresh on Tues when I got them but as I wasn't using them till Sun I froze themnot realising they would be ok in the fridge till then.

male_timaru, Jan 15, 6:26am
soak them overnight in a cheap enough to have waste red wine with mint and rosemary and basil lol

then cook them in a moderate oven (i use about 160-180) in a roasting dish (with lid) with parsnips, leeks and onions in there (half or slightly random chopped is good! ! ) and add 1/2 litre of water and some pearly barley to the water mixture

leave for 2 hours

remove and strip rabbitt

This was a fave of ours back in Manchester UK for body builders to get high protein low fat intake! ! ! Rabbit and Hare is way higher in protein than beef, lamb and chicken WAY higher and way lower body fat too

briatt, Jan 16, 4:00am
Mince up rabbit or dice into very small pieces. Dice up some streky bacon. Dice up some leaks and saute gently. Then mix together with raw rabbit and bacon. Add some breadcrumbs, flour, egg and make into patties and cook. Very nice :)

amazing_grace, Jul 13, 7:03pm
I do mine in cream and garlic. Cut the rabbit into joints, brown them in lots of butter. Add 4 onions finely chopped and 2 cloves of garlic. Saute for about 10 mins. Add 1 carton of cream and several good twigs of thyme, salt and pepper. Simmer on the stove gently for a few hours, adding more cream if it gets dry. Lovely!