Trifle recipe

mrsvonflik, Dec 17, 2:41am
Easy recipe please

edlin, Dec 17, 3:36am
Buy a sponge,push into a glass bowl,tip over the juice from a tin of peaches and a very generous amount of sherry,place the peaches on top,pour over some cooled custard until it is covered. Chill a while in the fridge then top with whipped cream and whatever fruit,sprinkles etc. you have at hand. I make my own custard but you could use the ready made version from the supermarket. No two trifles are the same but men love them however you make them. Just assembly really. Nothing can go wrong! Merry Christmas

autumnwinds, Dec 17, 3:58am
I do much the same as #2, but spread the sponge with some raspberry or boysonberry jam, and just the sherry.

I bring to the simmer a couple of cups of frozen boysonberries and about 1/2 cup or so of water (I really do this by eye) and thicken with a little arrowroot made to a paste with water.

Then I line my straight sided trifle dish with sliced strawberries above the first sponge layer, and fill with half the boysonberry mixture, trying not to disturb the strawberry slices.

I make a good eggy custard - I never use the carton stuff, it's too runny and artificial tasting, and custard is so easy to make, even in the microwave - that has cooled, and put in a layer of that.

Then another sponge/jam/sherry layer, the last of the boysonberry mixture, and then the custard, and chill.

I ALWAYS make this Christmas Eve, so it's one thing done, and gives the flavours time to mingle, and cover with gladwrap. To serve, top with whipped cream with a teaspoon of vanilla and a Tablespoon of icing sugar, and extra fruit if desired. Looks spectacular with the straight-sided footed bowl, and these can even be bought at the "Red Shed" for a reasonable price (though mine's Swedish crystal and I've had it for years).

There's no "wrong way" to make a trifle, and everyone does it slightly differently, allowing for their families tastes. I also do a smaller one, with fruit juice replacing the sherry, for the children - and don't they enjoy it when they're considered old enough to have a touch of the sherry trifle!

biggles45, Dec 17, 4:24am
Break up a sponge cake into a nice glass dish. Drizzle (generous drizzle!) sherry or brandy over it. Make up the jelly, allow to cool slightly. Drain and add a can of mandarin oranges (any fruit will do, but mandarins are the only canned fruit I like - canned is quicker than preparing fresh fruit). Let the jelly set in the fridge. Make custard, (butter & cornflour roux, add milk and heat stirring briskly till it starts to thicken. Remove from heat keep stirring as it will continue to thicken, add sugar, allow to cool slightly and add 2 egg yolks. Pour onto trifle. Put back in fridge to fully set. Decorate with cream and whatever fruit you like or chocolate flakes.

mrsvonflik, Nov 19, 10:47pm
Thankyou everyone think I might have a practice run tomorrow