Drop Scone Recipe, Please

arden22, Sep 1, 10:51am
This sounds like my "Cheese Puffs".
1 cup flour, 1 teaspoon BP, 1 cup grated tasty cheese a good pinch of cayenne (this makes all the difference to the taste).
Lightly beat 1 egg in a cup and top up with milk. Add this to the dry ingredients and mix lightly.
I spoon mine into 12 patty pans and bake in a fairly hot oven for about 15 minutes. Half them and serve buttered.
A friend just drops large spoonfuls straight onto her baking tray and gets about 20 little bites.

sarahb5, Sep 3, 9:32am
I always thought drop scones were the same as pikelets, also known as scotch pancakes or griddle scones in the UK

willman, Sep 5, 7:57pm
I have come to the conclussion, that what we here in NZ call pikelets call drop scones or something else. Rather confussing, to say the lest. LOL.

sarahb5, Sep 5, 9:43pm
Your recipe for drop scones does sound very similar to a pikelet recipe although the method is different - they were called drop scones because you dropped the batter onto a hot griddle so I believe

catsmeat1, Sep 7, 8:13am
Hmm, just inherited a gem iron and have been looking for gem recipies. My old Edmonds book has an "Easy gem recipe", uses pikelet mix.

willman, Sep 7, 7:58pm
catsmeat1 and sarahb5:

Thanks for the interesting info like hearing these stories. :).

willman, Feb 28, 6:55pm
All the recipes, I have seen are like pikelets.
The recipe I am after are made in muffin tins.
Made with plain flour or with some wholemeal flour.
Many Thanks for any recipes.

willman, Dec 28, 5:17pm
Perhaps no one has heard of this recipe.
I managed to get it from a " rellie" and was in her late mothers recipe book, thought I would pass it on.

Drop Scones:

1 Large cup Flour, 2 Tblspns Sugar, Butter size of an Egg, perhaps 1 oz., 1 1/2 tspn baking Powder. Milk to mix. ( own discretion ).

Mix dry ingredients together. Rub in Butter, add egg and Milk. Spoon into Patty Tins and bake in Hot Oven. Approx 10-15 mins.

Nice buttered and the use of Plum Jam, to top.