Good knife-sharpener.

schnauzer11, Sep 24, 10:27pm
Where can I get a decent one to sharpen my good knives? I have a stone, but am not expert in the technique. Have been using those ones that stick onto the bench but they wear fairly quickly. I want to take care of my good knives, especially my beloved Wusthof. Any advice appreciated.

cleggyboy, Sep 24, 10:56pm

valentino, Sep 25, 1:36am
I too have a Stone but only use this to fine the edge.

Have a chef knife stone but not too good with this.
Also one of those basic ones where you pull the knife through but the edge is a bit rough and the metal disappears too quick.

Was thinking of an electric grinding stone as used this quite a bit when in my younger days needed a very sharp knife constantly for cutting rubbers of a mill but can be a bit too severe and the knife has a much too shorter life.

That one posted by number 2 post looks interesting and more so when ones hands are not like they use to be, agree to give this a go and price all up is great at the moment too. Cheers for this.

lythande1, Sep 25, 1:56am
They are rubbish.They tear the blade.
Learn to use the stone.

buzzy110, Sep 25, 3:06am
Whatever you do, do not use an electric grinding stone. They heat the blade and wreck the temper that has been careful put on by the maker. It will sharpen your knife just fine (if you don't mind that it also butchers it) but it won't hold its edge and will blunt fairly quickly from that time forward.

Learn to use your stone. It is not hard. You tube has a ton of videos on how to use your stone. I prefer a whetstone, rather than an oilstone but find it makes very little difference which you use.

My stone has400 grit one side and 1000grit the other. Use the 400 grit first to get the edge and the 1000grit to polish and straighten the edge to razor sharp. Put the stone on a damp dishcloth to stop it from moving.

If you live in Auckland there is a very good knife sharpener who will come to your place but if you feel up to a drive, you can take your knives, scissors and garden tools to the French Market, every second week.

He uses an electric whetstone (always has water running over it) that runs slowly so the blade does not heat up. He does an excellent job. Then all you need to do is use a steel till the next time (about 6 months).

I'm not sure I can give you his e-mail address without incurring the wrath of TM but his name is Mister Sharp and his website is:

www.mistersharp.co.nz

valentino, Sep 25, 3:55am
As I noted, personally came down to the condition of ones hands what is the most suitable.

A friend of mine sharpen all of mine a couple of Months ago, did a nice job and did not cost me anything but then nice to know that there are some around that are applicable when the condition of your hands deteriorate.

Cheers

buzzy110, Sep 25, 4:14am
I take it you are talking about the pull through ones and the electric 'grinding' ones. There was nothing wrong with the one posted in post #2. It is a bit too high tech for me but it is a good option. I'd use it.

I admit that I saw a whet stone gadget at Mitre 10 one day that was attached to an electric drill and it looked excellent. I thought that it would be handy when I was at the beach. We go through knives like no one's business at the filleting station - filleting & boning knives x 2 (1 each), chopper for heads of big fish, scallop shucking knife, bait knife and a stiletto knife for ickying. That is a lot of knives and I like to have them sharp and ready for the next day's fishing, rather than try and sharpen them when in use. It stops rusting as well to keep fishing knives constantly maintained.

fifie, Sep 25, 6:04am
Agree Valentino I've always used a stone but now days can't with my twisted hands, so use a pull through I can hang on to, which ever works is good for me.

schnauzer11, Sep 25, 8:17pm
Thanks, all. I'll have a look at Youtube about stone-technique.

mouse265, Sep 29, 10:51am
if you shop at a butcher shop you could ask ole butch as he knows how to sharpen his knives but you will need to learn how to use a steel

schnauzer11, Sep 29, 6:08pm
Good thought, mouse! We know our butcher well and I'll ask her(yes, her!) advice too.

mouse265, Sep 30, 9:03am
im a retired butcher and still sharpen a few when my hands allow it

mecanix, Oct 6, 11:41pm
i went to this guy this morning.

he has done a brilliant job with my knives.

i wouldn't use any one else now.

thanks for the post buzzy.

buzzy110, Oct 7, 6:12am
I'm so happy to hear that.

vashti, Oct 11, 9:05am
We got a new knife sharpener, the assistant recommended. Mitre 10.
A pull through job, apparently it has ceramic inner wheels.
It does seem to work well, but we havnt had it long so who knows.

cleggyboy, Oct 11, 8:05pm
I have very expensive hand forged chefs knives, there is no way I would use those pull through wheel gizmos that are out there.

nzdoug, Oct 27, 1:09am
I got one of those round ones that stick to the bench by suction and you pull your blade thru in the diection as marked.
Had it 3-4 years and dies a good job.
Got it at the home show but there are similar listed here on TM I’m sure.

kiwiscrapper1, Oct 28, 12:44am
The Mad Butcher does them for free

punkinthefirst, Oct 29, 1:34am
I'm with you. The pull throughs are fine for cheap knives, but the OP's Wustofs are too good to risk.
While we're at it, folks, DON'T keep your knives loose in a drawer. When they bang against each other, it ruins them. Put them in a block, roll them in a knife-roll, or secure them with a magnetic knife-strip. They will last your whole life if they're looked after.

tinkagirl, Nov 5, 11:00pm
My Mad butcher will do it for free but you have to purchase something from the store first.

cleggyboy, Dec 6, 5:02pm
There is sharp knives and very sharp knives, I prefer the latter.
More likely to cut yourself on a dull knife than a good sharp one. The reason being with dull knives one has the tendency to force the blade, that is when a slip and a gash is likely. A very sharp knife takes no effort to cut the food.
Also never try cutting bread with a decent knife, that is a kitchen sin.