1/2 a chopped medium onion
2 stalks of chopped celery
2 cups broccoli, cut bite size
2 cm finely chopped salami
1 tablespoon of soy sauce
2 rashers of bacon
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon of gr. black pepper
1/4 tsp. of dried Bhut Jolokia powder, I made this myself and its so nice.
about 5 minutes
add the aubergine and a
1 can of tomatoes
1/2 can of water
simmer it all until it is a nice consistency.
Could have served it with a lemon wedge but was plumb out of lemons. It was nice as is, even my husband liked it.

pickles7, Oct 28, 4:00pm
The Aubergines we buy these days are way nicer than the ones we got many years ago. There is no need to salt them to make them more palatable, I will try and find my curried recipe and post that for you. buzzy110. and anyone else who may be getting to know the value of this vegetable.

arielbooks, Oct 28, 9:15pm
I just can't go past Moussaka or a vegetable bake with eggplants, Ratatouille sometimes. Still always salt no so much for bitterness but to remove water, with the first two I slice really thinly, spay pan with oil and rub with garlic then fry till well cooked before laying, same with potatoes.

buzzy110, Oct 29, 5:01am
You recipe looks delicious. Keeping with the aubergine theme this recipe from davidt4 is also particularly mouth watering:

Leek & Eggplant with currants and olives (Davidt4)
1 large leek (or 2 small) thickly sliced, green parts as well as white
1 large eggplant in2 - 3 cm chunks, skin on
125 ml good quality extra virgin olive oil
1/2 c currants
1/2 c black olives
salt and pepper
parsley to serve
Combine all ingredients except parsley in a large wide pan, cover and cook over a low heat for about an hour or until vegetables are very tender. Check liquid occasionally and add a little water if necessary. The mixture when cooked should be luscious but not too wet. Add chopped parsley just before serving.

pickles7, Oct 29, 7:14pm
Yes, that looks good too. buzzy. I have been battling to get my husband to eat aubergine for years, but after tasting this last lot I made up, he polished off the other portion altogether.

uli, 3 days, 20 hours
Salt the eggplants to remove that spongey interior. Once washed off the salt and squeezed very thoroughly you can then fry them in olive oil without them sucking up liters of oil. Then layer the slices into a dish and cover with a lovely mince, garlic, onion, basil and tomato sauce. Serve with rice and a green salad.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)