After a basic,simple, easy curried chicken recipe.

cookiebarrel, Oct 31, 11:19am
to have on rice please. Really do want a basic recipe as do not want to have to buy ingredients I will most likely never use again, so would be great if I have most of what's needed in pantry.

davidt4, Oct 31, 6:20pm
What do you have in your pantry?

alleycatz, Nov 1, 1:44am
moths

survivalkiwi, Nov 1, 4:25am
My cheat curry is the tomato, chicken and spinach curry from Food in a minute. I dont put the vegetables in.
http://www.foodinaminute.co.nz/Recipes/Tomato-Chicken-and-Spinach-Curry

meoldchina, Nov 1, 10:41am
Pataks sauces in a jar, or Pataks paste. I like their Tikka Masala. Recipe on the label of the paste often requires things like tinned tomatoes, yoghurt, onion, and chicken, of course.

cookiebarrel, Nov 1, 10:50am
Sorry davidt4, just got back onto computer. I have curry powder, garam masala, tumeric, ground cardamon, cinnamon, coriander, cumin, garlic, L&P sauce, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, soya sauce, coconut milk/cream, various flours, dried fruits, plus all the usual things in fridge and freezer. Have to stay away from chilli, pineapple, fennel and would prefer to not add tomatoe. I'm sure theres a lot that could go into a nice chicken curry just can't begin to work something out. Oh and I do have plenty of chicken in the freezer.

cookiebarrel, Nov 1, 10:54am
meoldchina, have to be very careful about the ingredients in prepared sauces etc because of my son's reaction to a lot of things, although I am the one with a craving for a chicken curry as he is okay with just the chicken and rice, but I would like to see if I could make something he could enjoy as well for a change.

davidt4, Nov 1, 8:38pm
This is the closest to your requirements that I can find in my collection. If you can't find black cardamom leave it out.

Chicken & Spinach Curry

2 tsp coriander seeds
1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
3 tab oil or ghee
1 kg boneless chicken thighs in large chunks
4 onions finely chopped
6 cloves
6 green cardamom pods
1 black cardamom pod
10cm piece cinnamon or cassia stick
10 black peppercorns
4 cassia leaves  (or bay leaves if absolutely necessary)
3 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp tumeric
2 tsp paprika
8cm fresh ginger, grated
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tsp salt
1 c thick yoghurt
1 large bunch of spinach

Toast coriander & cumin in small pan, grind. (Or use ground spices).

Heat oil in large pan and fry chicken over high heat until mildly browned.  Remove from pan.   Add more oil if necessary and fry onions, cloves, cardamoms, peppercorns and leaves, fry gently for about 20 min until starting to brown.  Stir often.

Add cumin, coriander, garam masala, tumeric & paprika and stir 1 min.  Add meat, ginger, garlic, salt & yoghurt, 250 ml water.   Cover and simmer until chicken is tender - about 45 min.   Uncover and cook until moisture evaporated.

Meanwhile clean spinach, blanch or steam until just softened.   Drain very thoroughly between two chopping boards and chop finely.   Add to chicken and cook 3 - 5 min until hot and well mixed.

[This is properly made with lamb, in which case it would need to be cooked longer]

petal1955, Nov 1, 9:07pm
A real easy nice curry is fry off onion in oil.add chicken either stir fry on in cubes.then add curry powder and cook till fragrant.then add a maggi cream of chicken soup and a tin of coconut cream. cook till thick and serve with rice

buzzy110, Nov 1, 10:12pm
The OP has to stay away from chilli. Doesn't curry powder have chilli in it?

davidt4, Nov 1, 10:49pm
Usually, yes. And some curry powders will contain fennel as well, which the OP also wants to avoid.

cookiebarrel, Nov 2, 4:02am
Thank you so much for the recipes folk. That is interesting about the chilli in curry powders. Checked the one I use that is so far okay for my son and discovered chilli powder as an ingredient way down the list of ingredients, So either it is such a small amount as to sneek by or it isn't chilli that is the issue for him, maybe something else that was in the mix at the time! More investigation needed on our part. Do know that fennel seeds are defiantly a nono as is sage, but now as I said will have to look again at chilli. Maybe it was too strong the time he reacted to it. Oh the joys of it, certainly wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

rainrain1, Nov 2, 4:08am
Speaking of curry powder. what is best brand to buy, which is readily available now?

petal1955, Nov 2, 5:46am
I use a mixture of Bin Inn Hot and Med food Hot.mix them together.Seeing as you cant source Vencat curry powder any longer

rainrain1, Nov 2, 5:58am
Thanks. will give that a try

cookiebarrel, Dec 7, 9:04pm
Vencat curry powder was really good. I have been using Empire Mild.