Whats the main difference between a cookie recipe

sinead353, May 11, 9:05am
and a cake recipe? ?

I'm pretty sure it's something to do with butter/ fat content being higher in cakes and also a raising agent... . but I've looked online and all I can seem to find are peoples 'secret recipes' which are all very different!

So yea, in general what are the differences? Both contain eggs, flour, coca, butter... is the only difference a raising agent?

245sam, May 11, 9:11am
sinead353, the difference between a cookie/biscuit recipe and a cake recipe is definitely not necessarily the raising agent as some cookie/biscuit recipes have either baking powder or cream of tartar and baking soda or self-raising flour - I think you'd find that it's the overall proportions of the ingredients and usually a cake recipe has a greater number of eggs than a cookie/biscuit recipe which, depending on the size of the mixture, usually only has 1 egg, if any at all. :-))

cookessentials, May 11, 9:12am
most cakes are of a thinner consistency as opposed to biscuits which is more of a dough-this would alter the texture. Also the ratio of flour and other dried ingredients to fats such as butter is different in alot of cases.

sinead353, May 11, 9:14am
That actually sounds pretty spot on give the recipes I've seen. Cheers 245sam :D

sinead353, Apr 20, 8:07pm
Thanks cookes :D looks like ratio of ingredients is the key.

Thanks guys :D