Looking or an amazing hot cross bun recipe

angel21_01, Mar 18, 7:48am
Hello I am looking at making my own this year and am looking for an amazing tried and true recipe that someone is willing to share :)

awoftam, Mar 18, 7:52am
Samanya shared one. I will find the thread. One moment, please caller.

awoftam, Mar 18, 7:55am
Found the thread however she hadn't shared posted the link so here it is (assuming it is one and the same):

http://www.chelsea.co.nz/browse-recipes/easter-hot-cross-buns-breadmaker-recipe/

Hint - if you are looking for anything use the search function on the left of the page, can often find all sorts of things.

Happy baking!

angel21_01, Mar 18, 8:03am
I did have a look first thanks for the suggestion though :)

valentino, Mar 18, 7:49pm
I have 2 very good recipes, depends on what I feel like is the one I will do.

But lately seems to favour one a bit more as the other has Condensed Milk in it and I need to cut down on my sugar intake.

Cheers.

Oh that recipe is in either hand or breadmaker.

I love these (breadmaker recipe) along with my other Easter Bun recipe.

Hot cross buns adapted from a Richard Till’s Recipe

Place all into breadmaker on the Dough cycle only;

1/2 cup hot water
1tsp vanilla essence
1 cup milk
100g butter
1 egg
4 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
2 Tabs mixed spice
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp cocoa
2 Tabs sugar
2 Tabs dried yeast

Add into the dough after finished in breadmaker.
1 cup dried mixed fruit

Knead then cut into 20 pieces and form into buns.
Placed into a shallow tin about .5 to a cm apart.
Let rise until more or less doubled, make cross slash in top before baking and cook 225C for 12-15 minutes.
Bring out of oven and glaze immediately with two teaspoons of sugar mixed in heated 1 1/2 tspns of water.

Next post is by Non- Breadmaker method.

valentino, Mar 18, 7:49pm
• Richard Till's original I think:
Hot cross buns
1 cup milk
1/2 cup hot water
2 Tabs sugar
2 Tabs dried yeast
2 cups flour
100g butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp salt
2 Tabs mixed spice
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp cocoa
1tsp vanilla essence
1 cup dried mixed fruit
2 1/2 cups of flour
Mix milk, hot water and 2 Tabs of sugar in metal bowl.
Sprinkle in yeast. Leave to stand until bubbles appear.
Add 2 cups of flour and leave to stand.
Cream butter and sugar, add egg, salt, spices, cocoa and vanilla. Combine the two mixtures and add mixed fruit. Add remaining flour to make firmer dough.
Knead well.
Leave to rise until doubled.
Knead then cut into 20 pieces and form into buns.
Let rise until more or less doubled, make cross slash in top before baking and cook 225C for 12-15 minutes.
Bring out of oven and glaze immediately with two teaspoons of sugar mixed in heated 1 1/2 tsps of water.
I have just made those Richard Till ones, they came out soooo yummy and fluffy .Have ignored your instructions how to and chucked everything together in the mixer and beat hell out of it, in the hot water cupboard until double, shape , fits 25 in roasting pan, rise again-Perfect result

arielbooks, Mar 18, 7:49pm
Best ever recipe from Little & Friday bakery

Ingredients
40g compressed yeast (or 20g dried yeast)
1.5 cups luke warm milk
125g caster sugar
50g butter
600g strong flour
2 tsp mixed spice
2 tsp cinnamon
pinch groud cloves
pinch salt
3 cups sultanas
1/2 cup mixed peel
one egg

Glaze
40g sugar
100 ml water
boil together until sugar is dissolved

Method
1. Pour milk over yeast and stir to dissolve.
2. Add sugar to milk/yeast mixture.
3. Put the dries into a bowl and stir to combine, add milk mixture and egg. Knead for approx 10 mins then ad fruit to dough and knead till combined evenly through dough.
4. Leave to prove 30-40 mins until doubled in size.
5. Tip dough onto a floured board and roll out to 4 cm thick, cut into 4 cm cubes.
6. Place on a lined tray and let prove agin until doubled in size (approx 40 mins).
7. Make crosses by mixing 1/2 cup of flour and 1/2 cup of water to make paste and pipe on (I usually just cut crosses in top).
8. Place in pre heated oven to 200dg then turn down to 180dg and bake until brown (approx 20 mins).
9. Paint glaze over.

valentino, Mar 18, 7:56pm
Easter Buns made with Highlander Milk
(makes about 20)

¼ cup warm water ( blood heat ), 2 tsp sugar, 1 tablespoon dried yeast or 4 tsp Surebake yeast, 4 cups flour, 1 tsp salt, 1 1/2 tablespoon mixed spice, ½ tsp ground nutmeg, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 cup currants, ½ cup mixed peel, 50 g butter melted, ½ cup Highlander condensed milk, 3/4 cup warm water approximately and 1 egg beaten. For the Glaze;- 1 tablespoon water, 1 tsp gelatine and 1 tablespoon castor sugar. And for the Decoration:- ½ to 1 cup white Choc melts.

Place ¼ cup warm water and sugar in a shallow bowl, sprinkle yeast over and stand in warm place until mixture is frothy. Place the flour, salt, spices and dried fruit in a large bowl and mix together. Make a well in the centre of dry ingredients. Combine the butter, condensed milk and the second lot of warm water. Check that the mixture is just warm. Pour the yeast mixture into the well, add the liquid mixture and the egg. Mix well, adding a little more water or flour if necessary to make a soft slightly sticky dough.

Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 8 – 10 minutes or until the dough springs back when pressed lightly. Place the dough in a greased bowl. Turn the dough over so that the top is greased. Cover with plastic wrap. Leave to rise in a warm place until double in size ( approx 45 to 60 minutes ). Remove the plastic wrap, punch the dough down by pushing your fist to the bottom of the bowl. Turn out and divide into 20 even sized pieces. Shape each piece of dough into a round bun. Keep the dough covered with plastic wrap at all times when not being worked. Place the buns on a slightly greased oven tray at least 1cm apart or .5cm apart in a greased shallow rectangular sponge roll or cake tin/s. Cover with greased wrap and leave to rise in a warm place until the buns are doubled in size ( approx 55 to 90 minutes ). Bake in preheated oven 200c for about 20 minutes or until the buns are well risen and golden brown.

While the buns are baking, prepare the glaze. Place the water in a shallow bowl and sprinkle gelatine over. Stand for 5 minutes or until the gelatine swells. Add the castor sugar. Heat gently over hot water until the gelatine and sugar dissolve. Remove the buns from the oven. Brush with the glaze and place on a rack to cool. When cold, decorate the buns. Place the choc in a bowl, bring a small quantity of water to the boil in a saucepan. Remove from heat and place the bowl of choc firmly on top. Stir while the choc melts. Place the melted choc in a piping bag or in a plastic bag with one corner snipped off, pipe a cross on top of each bun.

One can mix the above bun part of the recipe in a bread-maker but only for dough mixing. Follow the manual re order of ingredients, usually liquids, then solid – liquids, then egg, salt, flours, spices, leave out the dried fruit at this stage in breadmaker, sugar, then finally yeast. When finished in bread-maker, punch the dough down on a floured surface, then add the dried fruit and mix and knead into the dough, then divide and continue as in above recipe.

This recipe makes a great Loaf especially when adding a packet of wee choc buttons.

Cheers

willman, Mar 19, 6:08am
Has anyone got a recipe, using part Wholemeal Flour as well as Plain Flour, in the recipe. Many thanks.

..pip.., Mar 19, 9:03am
I used this recipe the other day and they tasted EXACTLY the same as store bought hot cross buns. FYI DON'T try to cook the mixture in the breadmaker, it really really doesn't work. It rose so much it nearly ruined my machine the first time. Make them in the oven ;)

unknowndisorder, Mar 19, 8:18pm
I know this is an old thread, but found a recipe (untried) for Wholemeal flour.

450g WM flour
55g mixed peel
110g currants
25g fresh yeast or 15g dried
1 egg
45g brown sugar
55g vegetable margarine
1t sea salt
1-1/2t mixed spice
1/2t cinnamon
250ml lukewarm milk
1x 25mg tablet vitamin c

Mix yeast and vitamin c with a little sugar and milk. If using dried yeast, leave in a warm place for 10-15 minutes until frothy.

Mix flour, salt and spices in large bowl.

Rub in margarine and add currants, peel and sugar. Mix well, then tip rest of milk, beaten egg and yeast mixture into centre.

Mix to soft dough, knead for about 10 minutes or until smooth.

Divide into 15 pieces. Roll each into round bun, place on well-greased tray.

Mark cross on top either by cutting with a knife or brushing across with a paste of flour and water.

Leave in warm place for about 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat oven to 230C.
Dissolve one large spoonful of sugar in one large spoonful of water and boil together for one minute.

Brush buns with this glaze just before baking for 15-20 minutes and then again as soon as buns are out the oven.
Taken from:
MIriam Polunin's The Wholemeal Kitchen.

malcovy, Mar 19, 8:35pm
This is the one I will be trying hopefully this year. It was on Stuff from the cuisine website.
Hot Cross Buns

11⁄4 cups milk, warmed to body temperature (37°C)
1 tablespoon active dried yeast
1⁄4 cup brown sugar
4 1⁄2 cups high-grade flour
5 teaspoons ground mixed spice
5 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 teaspoons ground nutmeg
1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cardamom
1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cloves
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
100g butter, softened
1 cup sultanas or raisins
1 cup currants
1⁄2 cup chopped mixed peel
For the crosses & glaze:
1⁄2 cup flour
2 tablespoons caster sugar

METHOD:
1. Put the warm milk, yeast and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer (or a large bowl) and stir to combine. Stand for 5 minutes to allow the yeast to activate. Using the dough hook (or a large spoon) stir in the flour, spices, salt, eggs and vanilla extract until it is a shaggy mess.
2. Continue to knead on a low speed, adding the butter a tablespoon at a time (this can also be done by hand on the bench – just try not to add too much flour as you knead). It will be sticky but will come together in a smooth ball as the ingredients combine.
3. Once all the butter has been added, increase the speed a little and knead for 10-12 minutes until the dough is a smooth ball. Stop for 30 seconds every 2 minutes to give the gluten time to rest. To test if the dough's ready, stretch it – it should stretch a fair way before breaking.
4. Tip the dough into a large lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Leave in a warm place to rise for 2 hours or until doubled in size. Add the dried fruit and use the dough hook to mix well. Cover with plastic wrap and leave to rise for another 1 hour in a warm place.
5. Tip the dough on to a lightly floured bench and use a sharp knife to divide into 16 equal lumps (ours were about 105g each). Shape into balls and place on a baking paper-lined baking tray. The balls should be just touching or have just a little space around them.
6. Cover with a clean tea towel and put the tray in a warm place for 30 minutes to rise. To test if the buns are ready to bake, press the top of one gently. If it springs back slowly they are ready. (If it springs back quickly they need a bit longer; if it stays dented they're over-proved so get them in the oven quickly!)
7. Preheat the oven to 200°C. While the buns are rising, make the cross paste by putting the flour in a small bowl with 1⁄2 cup water and stirring until smooth. Spoon the flour paste into a piping bag (or small sealable plastic bag). Fit a piping tip to the bag or cut a 3mm hole in one corner. Carefully pipe the crosses over the risen buns.
8. Bake for 20 minutes or until risen and golden brown. While they are cooking, make the glaze by dissolving the caster sugar in 2 tablespoons boiling water. Brush over the hot cooked buns then cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before serving with lots of butter.
BAKER'S NOTE
You can start the recipe a day in advance if you like – after mixing in the fruit and letting the dough rise again, knock it down gently by folding it in towards itself then cover with plastic wrap and leave it in the fridge overnight. You can then complete the shaping, rising and baking the next day.

nickyd, Mar 24, 5:29am
Haven't tried it myself, but review here as well - https://www.chelsea.co.nz/browse-recipes/easter-hot-cross-buns-breadmaker/

samanya, Oct 11, 5:50pm
Yep the chelsea sugar one is the best one I have found & God knows, I've tried a few.