Not a recipe but makes interesting reading

uli, May 16, 10:19pm
How family slashed $18,000 a year from their grocery bill - The simple tips and tricks to cut down on your food bill.

Sydney couple Michael and Sabrina Maiorano and their two children spend on average A$650 ($707) a week on groceries, equating to A$37,000 ($40,000) a year at the checkout.

Their food bill equated to more than double the Australian national yearly average of A$13,900 per household.

But now the family who once made all the wrong supermarket mistakes has cut an incredible A$17,000 ($18,000) a year off their grocery bill by making small and simple easy swaps.

yeah right!

Read more:
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=12052299

ash27, May 17, 4:17am
WTH! What were they buying for $700 a week? Unless they drink an expensive bottle of wine a night each!

lilyfield, May 17, 4:32am
Rediculous story, don‘t believe a word.

davidt4, May 17, 7:34am
Neither do I. These fictional stories crop up every so often and are just click bait.

blueviking, May 17, 7:00pm
So now they only spend $400 a week, still top of the line spending.

lythande1, May 17, 8:06pm
The family was buying 2 x 400g of pre-crumbed chicken tenders each week. But by buying the same amount of plain breast chicken for A$11.20 and making their own crumb from scratch

The Maioranos were buying pre-packaged cheese and biscuits snacks for their daughters each week. But by buying sliced cheese and a packet of biscuits, and creating their own snack packs, they can save A$290 a year.

The family was buying around A$1248 worth of Chobani flip yoghurts each year

But by buying a larger tub, and a few additives like frozen blueberries and muesli — the family could save themselves A$780 each year

Blah blah.

We don't even buy chicken breast at all.
I bought chicken pieces earlier this week for $3.99kg.
More our budget.

uli, Sep 20, 8:17pm
Amazing isn't it?

I also wondered if it was a true story or made up, but there was pic of the family, all happy now as they know how to crumb their own chicken breasts.

If ever I want to make butter chicken or something similar for the wwoofers then I do buy either chicken tenders or chicken breast when they are on special - it freezes very well - last week I got two chicken breasts for 4 dollars. No bones, plain meat. Made a huge wok full of stir fry with my own bamboo and peppers and chinese cabbages courgettes etc.

However I do prefer my own chickens.

edited to add that I really prefer thigh meat, but that is never cheap - even on special it is around $12.