Apricots in Brandy.

allurs, Nov 8, 3:45am
Was wanting to make as gifts can someone please help with how to do this thanks.

dalkemade, Nov 8, 6:22am
This is how I do it and they are delicious. You might want to use sugar instead of the Sugromax.
Soak 500g dried apricots in 3 &3/4 cups cold water for approx 3 hours.
Bring to the boil covered then simmer for 3 minutes. Add 3/4 tsp Sugromax (liquid)
Cool, add 1 &1/2 cups Brandy and put into clean jars. There should be enough syrup left for any top ups needed over 24 hours or so. Makes 4 to 5 medium sized jars

245sam, Nov 8, 7:30am
From the former Trade Me Cooks.

"Apricots in Brandy
700g apricots 125g caster sugar 2 cinnamon sticks 2 bay leaves 10 whole cloves 200ml brandy Method Make a cut through to the centre of each apricot so you can ease out the stone while keeping the fruit whole. Put the sugar in a saucepan with 300ml cold water and heat gently, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Add the apricots so that they form a single layer in the pan. Cook gently for 3 minutes, turning them once, until they just start to soften. Remove the apricots with a slotted spoon and pack them into a thoroughly clean wide-necked preserving jar (see Cook's tip). Add the cinnamon sticks, bay leaves and cloves to the pan and cook for 5 minutes until the liquid is thickened and syrupy. Remove from the heat and stir in the brandy. Pour the brandy syrup over the apricots, tucking the spices and bay leaves into the jar. Cover and leave to cool.
posted by cookessentials" :-))

samanya, Dec 5, 3:52pm
I haven't made this, but am thinking about it as gifts & I like the fact that I can make it before fresh Apricots become available.
Boerenmeisjes (Dutch Brandied Apricots)
Makes 2 jars
1 2/3 cups water
4 cups dried apricots
1 cup sugar
1 lemon zested
1 cup brandy
Rinse apricots
Place in a large saucepan, along with the sugar, water & soak for 24hrs
Sterilize jam jars
After 24 hrs, remove the lemon zest by slicing the skin from the lemon(you should have 3 - 4 strips of lemon skin) & add this to the pan with apricots etc.
Bring the mixture to the boil & then immediately remove the apricots & place them in the jars.
Now reduce the remaining liquid until it thickens.
Remove from the heat, allow to cool slightly & add the brandy & remove zest.
Spoon the liquid over the apricots a shake.
Seal jars tightly & store in a cool dark place & leave for 6 weeks before eating.
Sounds simple enough.
Good with ice cream.