Beef stroganoff

linette1, May 17, 4:28am
Searching for one pot meals using beef I came across so many Beef Stroganoff recipes that were so different to my original recipe from the 70's( yes showing my age).
Not one recipe was the same as I remember.
Do any of you remember their recipe for this dish using a bouquet Garni instead of the more modern addition of mustard?
I use to add the parsley and thyme and just remove the bay leaves.
Also it was eaten with either baked/ mashed potatoes not noodles as well.

lilyfield, May 17, 4:31am
55 years ago I used mustard,and would today also.

davidt4, May 17, 7:36am
I can’t see how a bouquet garni would work in a traditional beef stroganoff, which is cooked so quickly that the herbs would have no time to release any flavour.

What is your recipe?

wheelz, May 17, 7:59am
x1
I use the Edmonds one. except I flash fry a decent steak, cut it thinly once rested, and add it back into the sauce at the end, with just enough time to warm it thru.

linette1, May 17, 8:23am
Going from memory - mushroom sautéed first, then onion sautéed, flour coated rump steak sliced or diced browned in frying pan and set aside. Beef or vege stock, s & p. and the bouquet garni simmered for half an hour or more , then mushrooms, onions and meat added and heated through gently - then add the cream or sour cream.
Edited to say that this is the only way I have known to cook it.

socram, May 17, 10:27am
x1
More or less as above, but without the bouquet garni and added a splash of brandy.

But, if using fillet steak, rather than rump, cooked quickly in one pan and without the stock. Like most traditional recipes, unless you think there is a real need for 100% authenticity, just used as a starting point.

linette1, Sep 21, 7:11am
It seems I am the only one that uses this method.
Thanks for your idea about using different steak wheelz and socram I may try that.