AllysonGofton SLOW pea&hamsoup recipe

findit1, May 10, 6:19am
have brought the bacon hock, and hoping i can try this recipe
does anyone have it? if so would really appreciate it .
thankyou for help

findit1, May 11, 5:54am
anybody help? pleeeeeeeeeeese

winnie15, May 11, 10:01pm
Pea and Ham soup;
Serves 8-10
500 gms green or yellow split peas, rinsed and drained well. 1 lge ham bone (at least i kg), 2 onions peeled and chopped, 2 stalks celery washed and sliced, 2 potatoes peeled and diced, 8 cups water or light chicken or vege stock, 2 bay leaves or 1 bouquet garni, 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary or sage.

turn slow cooker on to low to pre-warm while preparing ingrdeints.
scatter split peas into the slow cooker. add ahm bone, onions, celery, potaotes, water or stock and bay leaves and stir to mix the ingredients.
cover and cook on low for 7-9 hrs on jow or 4-5 hours onhigh.
Carefully remove the bacon bone , remove meat and shred or chop, remove bay leaves.
using a potato masher, mash the soup ingredients to make a chunky soup. Sitr int he shredded ham and season with the rosemary or sage, salt and pepper to taste.
---
[i used 4 chicken oxo cubes to 8 cups of waterwhich was a bit too much salt wise... so i'd suggest perhaps 2 -3 oxo cubes]

winnie15, May 11, 10:29pm
this is really yummy! another 'slow' recipe
DORSET STEAK & BEEF STEW:1kg stewing steak, cut into 4 cm cubes, 1/4 cup flour, 1 tblsp brown sugar, 1 tsp dry mustard, 1 tsp beef stock pwdr, 1/4 tsp pepper.
SAUS MEATBALLS: 250 gms sausage meat, 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup currants or sultanas, 1 tblsp chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried thyme.
SAUCE: 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced, 1 cup beef stock, 1/2 cup port or red wine, 2 tblsp redcurrant or port wine jelly, 4 cloves.
METHOD:
Turn slow cooker on to low to pre-warm.
1. Mix together the flour sugar mustard stock pwdr and pepper. Toss the meat in the flour [this is best done in a plastic bag], shaking off excess and keep any remaining flour. .
In a seperate bowl mix together saus ingredients, roll into dstp size balls and toss in remaining flour.
Into the pre-warmed crockpot place beef, saus meatballs , onion, and rest of ingredients, stir as well as possible to mix, cover with lid.
cook on low for 5-7 hrs or high for 3-4 hrs.
VARIATIONS:
*use the meat from lamb or pork saus. Use flavoured saus will the vary the flavours too.
*use marmalade and medium sweet sherry in place of redcurrant or port wine jelly.
*Add vegs like carrots, parsnips, leeks and mushrooms to make a one-pot meal.
*replace the cloves with 2 blades of mace.

findit1, Apr 23, 10:02pm
thank winnie... . very much appreciated.