Salad to accompany barbecue

calista, Jan 17, 2:24am
I have a barbecue coming up and I said I would make a salad. My difficulty is that I live by myself and only eat food I like so am a bit limited.

If you were making a garden salad what ingredients would you use?

hollis6, Jan 17, 3:08am

lilyfield, Jan 17, 3:10am
Carrotts, , zucchini, fresh basil ,rocket, walnuts ,lettuce, cottage cheese, salt
No dressing.

ruby2shoes, Jan 17, 3:40am
different lettuces, coriander, parsley, red onion, grated carrot, with little side dishes of fresh chilli & roasted peanuts. With a little jug of olive oil/lime or lemon juice. Fresh mint sauce (Edmonds cookbook recipe) is really nice on a garden salad.

davidt4, Jan 17, 4:48am
What do you have in your garden? At present I'm making salads with red onion (marinated for a few hours in salt, extra virgin olive oil and cider vinegar), tomatoes, cucumber, tarragon, mint, basil, rocket and parsley.

rainrain1, Jan 17, 4:48am
Dressing on the side then? I think dressing would be a must at a crowd do.

calista, Jan 17, 6:25am
I don't like dressing myself ( Hmmm That's sounds like I go around naked) To re-phrase - I prefer salads naked, but dressing on the side would allow choice for other people.

I did plant different lettuces, but most of the ones that grew best were hot - so I think I might cut the heat by mixing in some iceberg lettuce.

Walnuts - definitely. Hadn't thought of them, but I think they add body. Maybe some pumpkin seeds too.

I know this sounds weird - but my mind just went totally blank when i was thinking about this earlier, and the cat is an obligate carnivore so she was no help.

Thanks for the ideas - and the clip from the Simpsons - laughing free up the brain.

holly-rocks, Nov 3, 6:10pm
I would do something with sweet corn as it’s in season (:

I don’t really have a recipe I just throw it together ~
cooked corn on the cob (cut) avocado, cherry tomatoes, red onion, olive oil and basil pesto. Hardly any cooking and super easy.
If not eating straight away I would cut the avo when you serve it so it doesnt brown.