Beetroot - Can anybody please give me some ideas

Page 2 / 2
sparkles, May 15, 9:34am
Hi treewalk. Honestly this relish is devine! Im not fussy about the quantities and rarely follow it closely, but I usually get about 5 or 6 1/2 sized preserving jars (the smaller ones) from each batch. I boil until the beets etc are soft (not long, about 5-10 mins). ENJOY, but be careful who you tell that you have made it, cause I usually only end up with a jar or 2 each time cause I end up offering it to others who rave about it. I especially like it as an accompanyment to beef or crumbed sczhitnzel (sp? ). Take care.

eastie3, May 16, 5:39am
sparkles wrote:
I especially like it as an accompanyment to beef or crumbed sczhitnzel (sp? ).

Using beetroot relish with cheese and thinly sliced onion in a toasted sandwich made a delicious light lunch for us today.

bisloy, May 18, 10:29am
Boil beetroot, chop and fill up a plastic wrap-lined loaf tin. Make up a raspberry jelly and pour over the top. Set in the fridge. Use in sandwiches, ploughmans lunch, etc. Yummy.
Succulentslady, roast 'em up like any other vege. Gotta warn you about 'pink pee' the next day - an effective dye.

elliehen, May 18, 10:51am
CHOCOLATE BEETROOT CAKE

Wet mix:
400g beetroot - cooked and peeled
Pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp baking soda

Dry mix:
1/2 cup cocoa
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1. Process the wet mix in a food processor.
2. Sift the dry ingredients together.
3. Add dry mix to the processor and process.
4. Pour mixture into greased tin and bake for 50 minutes at 150 degrees celsius.

pam. delilah (504 )12:02 pm, Mon 19 Oct #2

elliehen, May 18, 11:23pm
Bumping for nannyannie1 for the cake she requested

storm72, May 18, 11:54pm
Beetroot is tasty cooked this way. Fry up sliced onion. Grate up cooked whole beetroots, mix both together and warm gently in a saucepan with a dash or two of balsamic or malt vingear, salt and pepper to taste. Lovely as a hot vegetable.

herika, May 19, 7:49pm
One of our favourite ways of having beetroot is grated, raw, on salads :)

elliehen, May 28, 12:19am
SPICY BEETROOT
3 medium-sized cooked beetroot
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp vinegar
pinch salt
pinch cayenne pepper
pinch mustard
1/2 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp worcester sauce
1 tsp sugar

Dice beetroot, heat butter in a large pan and add other ingredients, then add beetroot and heat.

Note:To retain all nutrients in the cooking, do not peel or cut below about 2. 5 cms from the top and leave the taproot on. While beetroot is still hot, douse with cold water and slip the skin and tops off with your hands. If you spill beetroot juice on your tablecoth or carpet, dampen a slice of bread with water and place over the stain.