A Question For pam.delilah

bhindibabe, May 9, 10:29am
I made your pink lady cake recipe... it was nice but i found it abit on the oily side. would it matter if i cut back the butter a bit?
Only asking because i noticed the mixture a little thicker than most cake batters.
I was unsure of it but it turned out great, nice colour and taste too. So how much could i cut it back by without affecting it too much or making the mixture toooo thick?
TIA

pam.delilah, May 9, 9:03pm
Hi Linda
you could try cutting out about 50gms of butter and if it is too thick cream two egg or add more more milk, slowly so you do not add too much.
Hope this helps, Pam

bhindibabe, May 10, 12:11am
Thanks Pam I will try those suggestions.

korbo, May 10, 5:55am
where can i find the recipe. thanks

pam.delilah, May 10, 6:05am
here it is korbo

Pink Lady Cake

Ingredients
250g butter
1 cup White sugar
1 egg
1 cup plain flour
1/4 cup desiccated coconut
1/2 teaspoon cochineal or pink food colouring soaked in 1/2 cup of milk
1 teaspoon baking powder

Pink Butter Icing
2 cups Icing sugar
25g butter melted
1-2 drops cochineal or pink food colouring desiccated coconut to sprinkle on top.
Method
Cream butter and sugar, add egg. Alternatively add flour and coconut and the ‘pink’ milk mixture. Add baking powder and mix until smooth. Pour into a well-greased and paper-lined round or square approx. 20 cm cake tin. Bake for 35 minutes at 190°C. Cool on a wire rack and ice with pink butter icing when cold.

Pink butter icing
Mix all ingredients together until a smooth creamy consistency. Sprinkle with coconut.

MAKES AN AVERAGE-SIZED CAKE

buzzy110, Apr 17, 11:16am
Ah. Reading the recipe, I see that the butter and sugar need to be creamed. Poster 1, a probable reason you cake seemed 'too oily' is that you may not have creamed the butter and sugar properly. If you do not do it till the sugar has properly dissovled into the butter and it and the butter is almost white then your cakes, and biscuits will not have the correct consistency and butter will 'leak out', making biscuits spread and flatten rather than retain their shape and cakes to go 'oily'.

This is just something I found out many years ago. Other posters on here may be vehement in their denial of this fact. I cannot do anything about that but reiterate, that this is my wisdom only and one that it has held me in good stead for ever.

Some people recommend using caster sugar because it is easier to 'dissolve' into the butter. I think you have to use a bit less unless you go by weight.