Waffles

seller4, Mar 1, 4:41am
How do I make lovely crisp on the outside and not doughy in the middle.
Any tried and proven recipes please.

cgvl, Mar 1, 8:14am
I make my batter a little thinner and cook a little longer. Not that is much help lol.
My batter uses 2Tbsp of cornflour in it and whip whites separately and then fold in, although 9 out of 10 times I don't. I also use yeast in mine.
Its 1tsp yeast to ½ cup boiling water and ½ cup cold milk add 2 tsp sugar and leave until bubbly about 20mins. (I do this part before having a shower). Then add 300g (2cups) plain flour, 2Tbsp cornflour, 2 eggs and 100g melted butter, pinch salt and vanilla essence and beat with electric beater. I add more liquid until its the consistency I want. Then leave until its nice and bubbly and thick like a sponge usually about 20mins to an hour. Gives me time to do other things like make beds etc. Then heat waffle iron up and use about ½ cup mix per waffle. In winter I make it up before bed and leave overnight in fridge and then all it needs is a quick mix and allow to return to room temp.

thewomble1, Mar 7, 7:29am
Ingredients:
1 cup flour
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
1/2 teaspoon vanilla (I use a little more)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions:
1. Take the eggs out of the refrigerator at least an hour before preparing the waffles.
2. Separate the eggs immediately.
3. Mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, sugar and cinnamon.
4. Beat the egg yolks with the regular milk or buttermilk, butter and vanilla.
5. Combine the dry ingredients into the egg mixture.
6. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
7. Add a small amount of the egg white into the batter to lighten it up, then fold in the remainder.
8. Be careful not to overmix.
9. Heat waffle iron.
10. Grease lightly and spoon enough batter to nearly cover the surface.
11. Batter will spread once you close the waffle iron.
12. Cook until done.
13. Serve with your favorite waffle toppings.

thewomble1, Mar 7, 7:30am
True Belgian Waffles
Ingredients:
2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 eggs, separated
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla
fresh fruit or syrup
Directions:
1. In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, and baking powder.
2. In another bowl, lightly beat the egg yolks. To this add, milk, butter, and vanilla; mix well.
3. Stir into dry ingredients, until just combined.
4. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form, and fold into batter.
5. Bake in a preheated waffle iron, according to manufacturers directions until golden brown.
6. Serve with fresh fruit, or syrup.
7. Yield: 10 Waffles (about 10cm)

bev00, Mar 9, 10:11am
I turn my waffle maker (electric ) to the highest setting. They, the waffles come out crisp but do go soft on standing.
My basic recipe is: 2 large eggs
2tsp sugar
3/4 cup milk
½ cup water
1tsp vanilla
½ tsp salt
2 cups plain flour (300g)
2tsp baking powder
2Tbsp Cornflour
80g butter melted.

You will need 2 bowls for this recipe.
separate egg white from yoilks, put egg whites into a bowl with the salt and whisk until firm peaks.
Put all other ingredients except butter into another large bowl and beat until smooth. You may need more water/milk as it needs to be about piklet thickness.
Beat in the melted butter and lastly fold in the egg whites.
Use approx ½ cup per waffle.

This is the other Recipe I use its similar to the above except instead of baking powder I use yeast.
In a large bowl put 1cup boiling water and 1cup cold milk, add 1tsp yeast and 2tsp sugar. Leave until frothy approx 20 mins.
Separate 2 eggs and beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until firm. set aside.
In the yeast mix add 2 cups (300g) plain flour, 2Tbsp cornflour, 2 egg yolks, 1tsp vanilla and 100g melted butter beat until smooth. lastly fold in the egg whites.
Cover with a cloth and let this mixture sit for approx 20 mins or until bubbles appear on surface. Use ½ cup per waffle.

cgvl (22 22 positive feedback) 5:25 pm, Mon 9 Mar #16
frances1266 wrote:
Recipe for waffles on page 11 of the vegetarian thread I have just bumped up for you. Dont have the mixture too thick and it is especially nice with banana and maple syrup. I have other healthy waffle recipes that I will post at some stage.

Thanks!

wildflower (3 ) 7:35 pm, Mon 9 Mar #17
cgvl. my recipe is my mother's, must be well over 60 years old, and is similar to yours apart from the cornflour. It works perfectly in the cast iron waffle iron, but not in the electric one. The problem has to be with the cooking of the waffles.
I sometimes substitute 1/2 cup of rolled oats for the same amount of flour in the mix for a slightly "healthier" waffle. You can't tell the difference, but it adds a bit of fibre to your diet - and don't oats help reduce your cholestrol level? :-)

punkinthefirst (74 74 positive feedback) 8:22 pm, Mon 9 Mar #18

marcs, Mar 14, 4:32am
I use the recipe from my Breville maker book. It turns out very nice. The basic batter is the one I use mostly. Add flavours to it if you like.

Plain waffle batter
21⁄4 cups plain flour (340g)
21⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons sugar
3 x 60g eggs, separated
11⁄2 cups milk
125g butter or margarine melted
1. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a
large bowl.
2. Stir in sugar. Make a well in the centre and add
egg yolks, milk and butter, gradually stir into the
flour mixture.
3. Beat mixture into a smooth batter.
4. Whisk egg whites until stiff and fold into
the batter.
5. Use 1⁄2 cup of batter for each waffle.

marcs, Mar 14, 4:33am
This one here from Breville too but I did not find much difference between the two. The trip is to put them on the cooling rack when you take them out so that they don't steam.

Crispy waffle batter
2 x 60g eggs, separated
2 teaspoons sugar
3⁄4 cup milk
1⁄2 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
2 cups self raising flour (300g)
2 tablespoons cornflour
80g butter or margarine melted
1. Beat egg yolks and sugar together, add milk,
water and vanilla, mix well.
2. Sift dry ingredients into a bowl, add the egg
mixture and melted butter.
3. Beat mixture well into a smooth batter.
4. Beat egg whites until stiff, fold into
the batter.
5. Allow to stand for 10 minutes before use.
6. Use 1⁄2 cup of batter for each waffle.

nzsandersonia, Mar 14, 4:54am
make then bake in oven on low to dry and crisp

punkinthefirst, Mar 15, 5:05am
When I make waffles, I make at least a double batch. After I've cooked as many as I immediately need, I cook the rest a little less (so that the batter is just cooked through, but not browned). The excess waffles freeze well, and toast well in the toaster, from frozen, for a quick, but special breakfast. Freeze them individually then bag them up so that they're free-flow.

juliewn, Mar 16, 10:20am
That's a cool idea to freeze them Punkin. thanks for posting, will do that. :-)

marcs, Mar 17, 3:42am
I always freeze any left over waffles, pancakes, crepes or pikelets for the kids to warm for breakfast. with crepes and pancakes and pikelets I put a little piece of paper in between so that it comes apart rather than the kids defrosting the whole lot because they are stuck together.

bev00, Mar 17, 11:19am
for waffle lovers

frances1266, Mar 17, 8:56pm
Have a very quick and easy recipe for waffles consisting of oats and sunflower seeds. Think it is on the vegetarian thread so will try and find it.

mooshiesmum, Mar 17, 9:23pm
We have been using this one and they are just lovely!

http://thebestnest.co.nz/cook-eat-best-ever-waffle-recipe/

sylvia, Oct 14, 8:13am
My daughter tried making them with gluten free flour as an experiment and said they were fluffier and lighter and nice and crisp on the outside so might be a good tip for you.