Home made museli

seniorbones, May 9, 2:47am
anyone have a nice recipe please, I would like one that is really crunchy and has peanuts and pumpkin seeds but I suppose one you have the basic anything in that respect could be added. I can eat anything really crunchy like crackers and usually have 1tabs of museli with yoghurt for breakie but thought I would like to make my own... also it would need to keep well as it would be eaten at a slow rate.

prendy1, May 9, 3:44am
I make my own no added fat muesli like this: Mix a bag of wholegrain
oats, (and from here on in the measurements are just what feels right, maybe 1/4 cup or so? ) some coconut, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds and linseeds, a couple of spoonfuls of wheatgerm. You can add brown sugar but I find it sweet enough without. Mix it all together in a large oven dish and bake at 160 for about 20-30 minutes, stirring a couple of times and taking out when golden. At this stage i add sultanas, chopped dates and maybe some craisins. You can of course add any fruit or nuts that take your fancy, and the Maggie's mix at the bulk bins in Pak n Save is a nice addition.
If you wanted it crunchier, you could add a bit of oil and raw sugar before baking and it would form clusters.
Hope that helps!

seniorbones, May 9, 5:00am
thanks that just sounds like what I wanted.

pamellie, May 9, 5:16am
Muesli

1. 5kg rolled oats
2/3 cup brown sugar
½ cup salad oil
½ cup dried milk powder
1/3 cup honey

In a saucepan combine brown sugar, oil, milk powder and honey.
Stir over medium heat until mixture boils.
Boil for 2 minutes. Watch carefully or it will burn!
Pour over oats and mix thoroughly, rub in with your fingertips.
Bake 160c for approx 30 – 40 minutes turning every 10 minutes until golden brown.

When cool add
Nuts
Seeds
Dried fruit
Long coconut
Cereal such as ricies, cornflakes or puffed wheat.

Probably about a cup of each depending on what you have and like etc. I just judge it by eye.

hezwez, May 9, 5:38am
This is similar to pamellie's, posted in the thread started this morning by magenta.
My favourite is: Brainpower Muesli from the book "Learning to Learn"
Mix in a large oven pan
6 ~ 8 cups rolled oats
1 ~ 2 cups buckwheat groats
2 cups millet flakes or ground millet
2 cups oatbran
1 cup ground linseed
Bake 30 minutes at 170, stirring several times.
Melt together 1/2 cup honey, 1/2 cup sunflower, soya, or olive oil, add to warm cereal mixture and stir well. Stir into the mixture 1 ~2 cups chopped almond and brazil nuts, 1 cup fresh wheatgerm, 1 cup coconut, 1 cup sunflower/pumpkin seeds, half cup of lecithin, 1 ~2 cups dried fruit, apricots, raisins, dates, apple. You can add other fruit such as figs, sultanas, dried banana, and other nuts such as walnuts, peanuts, and other cereals such as rye and bran flakes.

snapit, Apr 14, 7:41pm
There is a different recipe on the back of the Harraways whole grain oats that I use for this recipe

Toasted Muesli

Group 1
! /2 cup sunflower seeds
½ cup chopped nuts
¼ pumpkin seeds
Roast these in separate oven dishes in the oven turning till nicely done, or dry toast in a fry pan separately. Each seed or nut has their own oils and cook at different rates can use other seeds and nuts to suit taste.
Group 2
½ cup liquid honey (or soft runny honey not the solid clover type)
¼ cup orange juice (or other juice to suit, apple, pineapple, tangelo)
¼ cup brown sugar
Combine this group it may be necessary to warm the honey a little to help with mixing.
Group 3
½ cup oat bran
4 cups whole grain oats
½ cup wheatgerm
combine these. I used Harraways wholegrain oats. Can also add some all bran or baking bran for higher fibre.
Group 4
1 cup dried apricots chopped
½ cup dried apple pieces
Can use other dried fruits to suit taste and availability. Raisins, sultanas peach, pear,
berries, pineapple, melon, papaya, cranberries.

Mix group 1 and 3 then mix in group 2 Spread into roasting dish and toast in oven 200C for 20mins aprox. Watch and stir frequently to aid even toasting and to your taste. . Remove from oven and add group 4 mix and leave to cool before storing in an airtight container

My children loved this and would have a scoop of this as their after school snack. They are both in there 30s nowFrom memory I used the whole big bag of whole grain oats and made a double mixture.