Freestanding or separate cooktop and oven?

norton, Jan 30, 4:07am
Building a new kitchen and trying to decide whether to go with a freestanding oven or a cooktop and separate oven. any suggestions? Which is better pros and cons

Am going with induction.

nzhel, Jan 30, 4:26am
I think a fitted wall oven is good - if you have the room. The food is easy to see inside and theres no bending to put things in and take out. Also another bonus - theres no pulling the oven away from the wall to clean behind!
We have a new induction cook top and still learning to 'drive' it! Pleased so far with it tho.

norton, Jan 30, 5:45am
Thanks for that . no dont have room so the oven would go under the cooktop anyway. good point about cleaning always keen to reduce those cleaning jobs! LOL

We have got an induction in our caravan and love it - takes a little bit to get used to it but wouldnt go back to gas

samanya, Jan 30, 6:31am
It all depends on the space you have & layout of your kitchen, imo.
I have a wall oven & separate induction hob & that suits me fine. it's probably a 4.5m x 4.5m space with a central free standing island with a small walk in pantry & although it's the oldest kitchen I've ever had . it's the best one for convenience. To me it's all about convenience.
I love the induction hob . burnt the first veges I cooked on it but got used t it PDQ!

valentino, Jan 30, 7:23am
Decision on an oven means you have your own home or the owner is asking you your preference.
I take it that it is your home, next you need to ask yourself what you will be catering etc over the next 20 years plus, the numbers at various times for dinners and so on.

Then look at an oven with a separate cooktop or a freestanding model but the one that will best serve your needs.

For example, family of 4 but quite often will have extras or guests for dinners (greater family/close friends times) which a Dual Oven is great, has a smaller oven that doubles as a grill and the larger oven that can handle say Christmas Hams with the other oven cooking a lamb forequarter and not forgetting the cooktop that is easy being kept clean but can handle extra saucepans keeping them warm whilst still cooking using the other cooking elements.

If it is for just a smaller scenario like just yourself and a partner and perhaps the occasional time of a quest then a good single oven will suffice.

Also a hooded BBQ is great to have if larger times that can cook those larger meals and makes the kitchen more free for yourself.

Plus other items can be useful too like a microwave, Electric Fry Pan, Wok, and not forgetting that Hooded BBQ also has an extra cooking ring too.

Yeah, I think that covers it but just think what or things that you will be doing for the next 20 years plus . and finally - the resale value of the home.

Editing that noted you have a caravan which suggests you are more mature age hence maybe those big meals are not now required but thoughts all the same.

Cheers and hopes all makes good sense.

catsmeat1, Jan 30, 8:36am
Have a new kitchen and went with a wall oven because of the layout. However, I would have been happy with it underbench. If I had gone underbench I would have gone with a cooktop and built in oven rather than freestanding - because of cleaning and cosmetic look. We have gas cooktop so had to have a splashback, might not need that with a freestanding - something else to consider.

dansac, Oct 30, 7:48am
I have a new kitchen, only one person, but did it with the thoughts of resale eventually, and what would work for a family.
I have the oven and a half in the wall, it is great , i use the half oven all the time for myself, but when there is a crowd, you have both. the hob is on the opposite side to the oven, that works really well for me, and I have found when there are a few people there it is easy for someone to use the hobs and if you are using the oven at the same time they do not have to move.

Very important point, or so I have found out, DO NOT store heavy platters in the cupboard above your lovely induction hob, if they slip and hit the hob, the hob comes off second best! , just waiting for the new one to come! .

Also I had the microwave put above the ovens and got the trim as well, looks really nice, had everything fitted so it was flush.

Hope that is of some help