Help with weights in recipe please.

rovertniloc, Jun 10, 11:06pm
I need to add 2.5 grms of cumin, and 2.5 grms of coriander. I havent got scales that weigh such a small amount. How much would they each be in spoon measurements?

245sam, Jun 10, 11:13pm
rovertniloc, at a guess I would have said 1 tsp of each however I weighed 1 not-quite-level (i.e. slightly rounded) tsp ground cumin and it weighed 3g - my scales don't do ½g and I don't have any ground coriander because I grind the seeds as needed. My advice would be to go with 1 level tsp each of ground cumin and ground coriander.

Hope that helps. :-))

whistlingwings, Jun 10, 11:15pm
Hi - isn't 5gm teaspoon. So 2.5gms would be half a teaspoon. Happy baking. I love cumin and coriander especially when coriander is picked from the garden.

245sam, Jun 6, 2:59am
whistlingwings, 1 tsp = 5ml but that does not necessarily mean that 1 tsp of each or any or everything will weigh 5grams - I weighed the very slightly rounded tsp ground cumin and it was definitely only 3grams. I assumed that OP was referring to coriander seed not the green leafy herb, coriander.
I love the flavour of cumin and also coriander seed, and am trying to get used to the taste of coriander as a herb but it is not a flavour I particularly enjoy - it is acceptable to me in very small quantities where its flavour is not really obvious, however each to his or her own and I realise that coriander as a herb (aka cilantro) is a very commonly used herb nowdays. :-))