POTATOE SALAD

penwarden11, Dec 13, 12:51am
Have baby new potatoes and a jar off Eta Potatoe Salad dressing.
What can I add to it.
Any ideas Please.
Thanks Karen

asue, Dec 13, 1:04am
A bit of onion, red, spring or chives, parsley, grated carrot, minted peas, mint, boiled egg, tomato, red/green/yellow peppers, corn - really just what you have and what you like. Can add some crispy bacon or ham too. You are only limited by your imagination.

dogbond, Dec 13, 1:19am
Chopped up spring onions and gherkins works really well

sampa, Dec 13, 1:29am
Haha. snap Karen was just contemplating the same things with all the leftover little lovelies I cooked last night. Excellent ideas and I didn't even have to do a search through previous posts for them. :)

uli, Dec 13, 2:44am
I would roast some onions in olive oil, then halve the potatoes and throw them in and make them super crisp and then serve with a steak and some lovely green salad. I would make an olive oil/vinegar, salt and pepper dressing for the salad and throw the Eta concoction out.

But that is just me - of course .

penwarden11, Dec 13, 3:20am
Thanks guys for the wonderfull thoughts.
Merry xmas

camper18, Dec 13, 4:56am
A tbls or 2 of gherkin relish in really nice and don't need so much dressing.

kirmag, Dec 13, 5:11am
I would add fried bacon and onion. I don't like the creamy sauces tho so make 1 out of olive oil, crushed garlic, lemon juice,a lil sugar and pepper. Boil the potatoes, chop as necessary, add fried bacon chopped up n onions and pour the dressing over with fresh chopped parsley. Yummmm everyone loves it

sampa, Dec 13, 8:19am
Also a wonderful idea and very yummy sounding. Salad dressing, rightly or wrongly here's what I tend to use these days. a good few dollops of Greek yoghurt (generally I have the one that has a bit of honey in it in my fridge), flax seed oil, apple cider vinegar. No measurements sorry, I just do to taste. Ironically this is a mixture I first made up as a supplement for my dog but - stuck my finger in to taste and thought, wow, that's nice - revisited the idea many times since.

aisling8, Dec 13, 8:32am
Some seeded mustard added to the mayo is good with potato salad. Crispy bacon pieces and spring onion.

motorbo, Dec 13, 9:44pm
potato salad is one salad i enjoy apart from lettuce. i usually chop spring onions, boiled cold eggs, celery, gherkins, parsley, and peas. done

uli, Dec 14, 1:31am
I do the German version with hot stock :)

sampa, Dec 14, 5:17am
Okay, inquiring minds and all. how does that go/get made?

uli, Dec 14, 6:02am
Cook potatoes of a non flakey kind. I use my Agrias but have been told on here that they are not a solid cooking spud - with evidence from a poster from Agresearch. So already we have a problem.

Anyway if you have some spuds that do not disintegrate upon cooking that is the first step.

Then you boil or steam them. When good add cold water to cool them down and loosen the skins. Then when they are cool enough to touch - peel and slice.

Now I love very thin slices - again works only if your potatoes hold their shape. You might want other shapes.

Put into a bowl and pour a cup of hot stock over the lot, carefully mix a little and while it all cools down make the dressing.

I use olive oil, cider vinegar, a spoonful of hot English mustard (or you can use pepper) and some salt. I also use quite a few nice red onions, chopped fairly small.

Mix all together, let marinate for an hour or so and serve lukewarm.

In different parts of Germany people add very thinly sliced cucumber - tastes great but will not store well if you have leftovers.

Or sliced boiled eggs (peeled). In the North they use mayo instead of the hot stock and in Switzerland and Austria and the Alsace there are numerous other versions around.

sampa, Apr 17, 9:15am
That sounds really interesting. Do the potatoes absorb most of the stock? I've done a similar thing - warm potato salad with olive oil etc but not with stock. Keen to give it a try thanks and would imagine that most varieties of youngish potatoes would be good to hold their shape and not fall apart. Good time of year to try it, lots of lovely new potatoes in the shops for those of us that don't grow our own. :)

Thanks uli.

PS - I prefer not to peel very young potatoes. no problem with leaving their skins on in that case?