Lemon cake recipe.

kiwitel, Feb 16, 7:18pm
I am after a lemon cake recipe to make.
I searched on here and the lemon yoghurt one has 1 3/4 cups of sugar which is too much. Can I just cut down the amount of sugar? or does anyone have a recipe that is lovely with less sugar. I saw a lovely looking madeira cake recipe but the amount of butter is huge. Trying to find some recipes which have moderate amounts of sugar and butter- trying to be a bit healthier.

harrislucinda, Feb 16, 7:41pm
madeira cake is just that lots of sugar and eggs
if you have a recipe you can lower the sugar as it is the flour and baking powder that makes it rise

pickles7, Feb 16, 7:46pm

kiwitel, Feb 16, 8:12pm
Its in the oven with less sugar . not sure how it will taste. Thanks for the replies. I have never baked with lemons, so am looking forward to tasting it.

sarahb5, Feb 16, 9:07pm
This one has less than half the amount of sugar

http://www.chelsea.co.nz/baking-and-recipes/1423/lemon-cake.aspx

Obviously too late this time but if you're trying to reduce the sugar in your baking the Healthy Food Guide website is a good place to start

harrislucinda, Feb 16, 11:06pm
by now cake will be cooked how did it turn out

cookessentials, Feb 17, 12:10am
Using less sugar usually works out fine, I often lessen the amount of sugar in my lemon yoghurt cake and it is fine.

kiwitel, Feb 17, 3:17am
It was delicious . did not notice the reduction of sugar at all. I followed the recipe with yoghurt in it and it is so moist. I add a bit extra lemon juice so it is tangy but we love it. Oh and I only had fruit of the forest yoghurt made in my easiyo instead of plain yoghurt and the taste was so yum. So the minor tweaks did not matter in the end. SarahB I will look at the site. Thanks everyone for all your advice.

sarahb5, Feb 17, 3:48am
Lemon and berries with yoghurt is one of my favourite flavour combos - mixed berries, lemon honey and greek yoghurt - yum yum yum!

huca1, Feb 17, 4:33am
I once read somewhere that you could reduce the sugar in cake cookie etc recipes by a certain amount and not notice it.

Trouble is I now can't remember the amount lol!

However I nearly always reduce the sugar in my baking by 1/3 and we have never noticed sometimes I stick to the original amount if I am trying something for the first time sometime ps I reduce the sugar by more if I am cooking some really sweet recipe.

The only thing I havn't tried it with is the classic Victoria sponge!

I am desperately searching for things that do not have chocolate in so I will try this one thanks, please can you give me a clue who posted it or bump the thread or similar

Thanks

lindylambchops1, Feb 17, 5:53am
Another good site for Lemon lovers:

http://www.joyofbaking.com/LemonRecipes.html

kiwitel, Feb 17, 6:50am
This is the recipe I adapted. Sorry I now cannot remember who posted it originally as I changed a few Ingredients as I looked at a few recipes.
Ingredients:
1 & 3/4 cups caster sugar ( i only used just over a cup)

rind 2-3 lemons

2 eggs 

1 cup sunflower or canola oil

1/2 tsp salt 

1 cup plain unsweetened yoghurt (not low fat) - I used forest fruits
made in my easiyo maker

2-3 t lemon juice (I used about 2-3 T)

2 cups self raising flour ( I used standard flour+ 2 tspns bp)

Method: 
Beat eggs,oil,sugar and peel together in a large bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients in the order above. Butter and flour a 24cm tin . Bake at 180C for 40-45 minutes. Test with a cake tester. Let cake rest only 5 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack. Dust cold cake with sifted icing sugar.

cookessentials, Feb 17, 8:11am
Looks like my one there kiwitel. I know plenty of people who have adaptednthe recipe to suit their own tastes over the years. I was trying to figure out when Mum was first given the recipe and it was the early 1980's so a good thirty years or more now. The same lady also gave us the pumpkin loaf recipe, although, hers used canned pumpkin.

kiwitel, Feb 17, 8:25am
Its such a lovely recipe cook essentials. Thanks for posting it originally. :)

drommy, Feb 17, 8:36am
With a tablespoon or two of sugar scattered over the top and drizzled with lemon juice! And maybe some borrage. And blueberries. Beautiful!

irenew, Feb 17, 9:15am
I've made this Light Lemon Cake from the Australian Woman's Weekly Quick-Mix Cakes book many times, and it's always a hit:
125g Butter
2 tsp grated lemon rind
3/4 cup caster sugar
2 eggs
2 tbsp. full cream milk powder
1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
1/2 cup water
Grease 20cm ring cake pan. Combine all ingredients in medium bowl and mix on low speed till combined. Then, beat on medium speed until mixture is smooth and changed in colour. Pour into pan and bake in moderate oven (180 degrees) about 40 mins. When cool ice with a citrus flavoured butter icing.

winnie231, Feb 17, 9:32am
Here's my version - it's gluten free but works with regular flour too :)
GF LEMON YOGHURT CAKE
Beat together 2 eggs & 1 cup of sugar.
Add 1 cup of oil and 1 cup of yoghurt, the zest & juice from 1 lemon and beat again.
Now for the dry ingredients - you want the equivalent of 2 cups of flour.
I added 11/4 cups of gf flour (bought from Countdown), 1/4 cup of almond meal and 1/2 cup of cornmeal (I like the texture of almond cake so mixed the ingredients for texture) plus 2 tsp of gf baking powder.
Sift dry ingredients into wet and fold through gently.

Bake in a greased & lined tin for 160c for 40-60 mins on fanbake (180c regular bake) or until a skewer comes out clean.

Sprinkle with icing sugar, ice when cold or stab holes in the top of the cake & pour over a hot lemon syrup while the cake is still hot.

bev00, Mar 28, 10:22am
125g butter, softened
3 teaspoons lemon zest
1 cup caster sugar
3 eggs
1 cup self raising flour
1/2 cup Greek style yoghurt, plus extra to serve
2 small lemons, sliced
1/4 cup caster sugar, extra
1/2 cup water
Icing sugar
1. Preheat oven to 160C. Cream the butter, lemon and sugar until pale.
2. Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Fold in the flour and the yoghurt then spoon into a greased loaf tin and bake for approximately 40 minutes or until the loaf springs back when lightly touched.
3. Put the sliced lemons, sugar and water into a saucepan and simmer for 15 minutes or until syrupy. Spoon over the loaf before dusting with icing sugar and serving with extra yoghurt.
- NZ Herald

bev00, Mar 28, 10:36am
LEMON SYRUP CAKE
1 1/2 cup S/R flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil (not olive)
1/2 cup milk
rind of 1 lemon
mix all ingredients by hand. pour into small base lined tin.
bake at 180 for 40 - 45 mins.
SYRUP :
heat 1/3 cup lemon juice and 1/2 cup sugar until dissolved.
pierce hot cake with skewer and pour over syrup while in tin.
leave to cool in tin.

Quotegemini007

bev00, Sep 12, 11:07am
A long time ago I took a large chocolate cake recipe off here and it has never failed me. From that I developed the following -

LEMON SYRUP CAKE
(Meat dish size – serves 20)
3.5 c flour
2.5c sugar
4 t/s baking powder
1.5 c ground almonds or fine coconut.
1 cup oil
2 cups milk
1 t/s salt
4 eggs
½ c lemon juice.
grated rind of four lemons
2 cups of boiling water (added at end)
Put all ingredients (except for the water and lemon juice) in a large bowl mix well to a batter. Add boiling water and lemon juice and mix till smooth bake in the oven at 160 for 1 ½ hrs.
Make syrup with -
1 c sugar
½ c water
½ c lemon juice, lemon rind.
Bring to boil and stir till sugar is dissolved. Pour over cake while still warm.
(You can split the mix and make two smaller cakes or make 1 smaller cake and put the rest into muffin tins the choice is completely up to you.)

Enjoy - also as a desert with whipped cream or yoghurt.

hhma (13 13 positive feedback) 1:04 pm, Sat

arielbooks, Sep 12, 8:04pm
I have many lemon cake recipes but my fave is.

250g butter
250g sugar

creamed together

add 5 eggs one at a time
add rind of two lemons
Sift 250g self rising flour and mix in

Topping. Mix together 10 ml lemon juice (I use 2 - 3 lemons depending on tartness) and 100 g icing sugar

Bake 180 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes.

Tip cake out of tin while still hot and pour half juice mixture, turn over and pour the rest on the other side.

Other nice lemon cakes are yoghurt and blueberry, date and lemon, lemon with crunchie topping. If any wants them let me know.

onclemick, Apr 13, 8:55am
Yes please arielbooks, I would love your other recipes.
Also can I use Limes in place of Lemons, Have lots on the tree at the moment