Whats wrong with my Jam

daisygirl, Feb 11, 1:53am
Made Blueberry jam and also Boysenberry Jam 3 weeks ago, opening a jar today the top of the jams are mouldy. Why has this happened and can I scrape it off and re boil them. thanks.

harrislucinda, Feb 11, 2:34am
didyouputlidsonwhilejamwarmyescanreheatandboil againisitarunnyjamifsoboilto reduceorcan addmoresugarbutmaymakejamtooosweet

tonsta2, Feb 11, 2:49am
... .

cookessentials, Feb 11, 3:16am
Make sure your jars are hot. I use the cellophane papers which you wet, pop them on the hot jam and secure with rubber band - they tighten as the jar cools and the cellophane dries. Also, make sure you fill the jar with only a small gap at the top.

annie.nz, Feb 11, 4:40am
I found that if I cut the proportion of sugar to fruit below about 0. 9:1, I got mould.

(I'm a gun jar sterilizer btw - but if the jars weren't fully sterilized, it could also account for the mould, as the posters above have pointed out).

lythande1, Feb 11, 4:43am
Not sterilised properly. And scraping it is dodgy, the organisms can spread through without you seeing evidence lower down.

daisygirl, Feb 11, 5:10am
Thanks, Jars were hot and sterilised. Must be something I can do with remaining jam, too good to be wasted.

rainrain1, Feb 11, 5:16am
I'm wondering if you boiled it hard enough in the first place :-(

korbo, Feb 11, 8:55am
my apricot jam went mouldy too after 3 weeks, and i used the new jam set sugar. have left it for now. it isnt too bad. .

wayne472, Feb 11, 9:04am
Dont worry about the mould on the jam, my nanna made good jam and all the jars had mould on them, Oh and by the way I am 65+ years old and I am still alive and enjoying life. Just scrape it off as we did and eat the jam, enjoy, get it down you it will do you no harm!

el.ken, Feb 11, 9:16am
When I made my raspberry jam it didnt set and was runny so i reboiled it a couple of minutes and added King jam setting mix and the jam turned out great .

lythande1, Feb 11, 8:27pm
As far as you could tell.
It only takes one germ for it to start to multiply and become obviious.
Read here:
http://www.cluthadc. govt.nz/Web%20Pages/Regulatory%20Service
s/Services/Food_Hygiene_Services/Home_Made_Jam.htm

truuske, Feb 12, 7:27am
where do you store your jam? if the place is damp it will mould, I make my jam and then freeze it, and take out as much as i need at the time.
Jam stays much fresher that way. Also you can take of mould and reboil

korbo, Aug 9, 12:19pm
i scrapped all the mould off the wax on the jam, and have put the jars out in the shed fridge. hopefully that will save them. on the other hand, we will just have apricot jam on our toast for weeks and cant see why i cant use it in louise slice.
will make the dried apricot recipe after that.