Your healthy recipes, please.:-)

Page 2 / 2
frances1266, Jul 6, 7:39pm
Silly idea porka1, have you not read the research that shows animal fat causes cancer, full stop. If the OP is interested or anyone else then try Dr John McDougall's diet, high carb so lots of energy and no hunger at all and you will lose lots of weight. Check out his website and testimonials, you will be impressed.

nowsgood, Jul 6, 8:58pm
OP you do come across as rude, may I suggest the 5/2 way of eating which has worked for many of my friends. They are feeling better and more alert as well as losing weight. If you google this you will find lots of actual recipes for the 2 days of 'fasting'

motorbo, Jul 6, 8:59pm
people will always debate low carb high carb, just trust your own body, some can handle and lose weight on high carb whilst others cannot, but my two cents worth i would never ever ever tell anyone the healthy food mag is healthy, it relies on advertising and those advertising are food manufacturers that sell processed foods. steer clear - trust fresh fruit and vege in season, spices and herbs and learn how to cook

hd07, Jul 6, 9:57pm
Lol at the responses to a simple request, then op is considered rude? Who knew asking for recipes could be so controversial.

What kind of things do you like for breakfast op? Are you into cereals or savoury? I don't like cereals so if hungry will have poached eggs on toast, or avocado and tomato on toast. I actually struggle to eat in the morning (just not hungry) so start with a cup of boiled water, apple cider vinegar and lemon juice. Will often eat breakfast later (morning tea time). I make my kids a fruit smoothie on school mornings, so if your not a big morning eater maybe you could try smoothies or a juice.

When I was in my healthy lunch mode, I'd have brown rice and tuna (they have some nice flavours these days - I liked the thai chilli ones, but they are higher fat content than plain). I quite like the can of mixed bean salad and would have some with a green salad or tuna.

Stir fries are a great healthy option for dinners, there are plenty of recipes on the net but can't go wrong with garlic, ginger, chilli and fresh veg. Can have add chicken, shellfish or beef strips etc and serve with brown rice or rice noodles. I got an electric wok from the op shop for a couple of dollars and use it heaps.

Good luck, hope you get some more recipes and less lectures ;)

nfh1, Jul 6, 10:09pm
I am a huge fan of porridge for breakfast - I put oats and milk in the fridge overnight, then pop it in the microwave for two short bursts of 45 seconds each. Then add a chopped apple and back in the microwave for another two 45 seconds, stirring in-between. Very filling and hardly any washing up = win win!

Good luck with your journey.

sampa, Jul 7, 12:04am
Wrap it up. Food in packages is always more interesting somehow (lol for anyone thinking I was talking of something other than food - it's the Recipe message board forum right?). Filo pastry is not nearly as naughty as other pastries and not as difficult to handle as some folk make out. Just work quick and don't leave it sitting around too long. I make this (sorry, don't work to recipe as such any longer but will do my best) - you need a good amount of filo sheets, lay them out and brush or dab all over with sour cream (low fat is fine - slightly warmed helps with spreadability) apart from the edge furtherest from you. Next cover with this slices of fish (these days I like Turbot but previously mostly used Hoki - whatever suits your tastes and budget). Next layer on veg - most often I go for a mixture of capsicum, mushroom, spring onions but feel free to use whatever sounds good to you. Season - garlic salt, dill (fresh is great but dried will work), lemon pepper - they're all good, you choose even throw in some chilli if you like spicy. Roll it up like a sponge roll and bake in the oven at 180 for around half an hour. Will depend on your oven and amount of fillings used - just keep an eye on it. This is excellent hot, cold or warm with a salad. Nice leftovers for lunch too.

Crepes. They're not so hard to make and can be made ahead and left to sit quietly covered up in the fridge till you're ready for them. Lots of lower fat versions - just use a lower fat milk and try to avoid excess butter - a proper crepe pan is an excellent investment if you find yourself making them often. Once made the choice of fillings is endless. I often do left over chicken and broccoli in a cheese sauce (again - plenty of low fat cheese sauce options or maybe sub with huia991's suggestion of low fat cream cheese. not sure, haven't tried that but worth a try). Or go all veggie in them or make a big pot of chilli con carne (using lean mince and go heavy on the beans) and use the leftovers for crepe stuffing. If you want to add a bit more glamour roll then sprinkle the top of them with some grated Edam (lower fat and nice to grill - doesn't go all oily) cheese and stick in a moderate oven to bake till heated through and cheese has melted.

Other suggestion is to be adventurous in your selection of fruit and veg and try and buy as fresh as possible to enhance enjoyment of them. If you go to the greengrocer or your local market and spot something you've never tried before - ask what it is, how to cook/eat it or just buy one out of curiosity and take it home and let Google do the hard work for you. ;-) Some things are bound to be a thumbs down but others might surprise you and have you going back for more.

Regalgirl you're not the only person out there that would like to see some excess kilos disappear and, yes, books are great and Google is a wonderful tool but, sometimes, it's nicest to reach out to others and share ideas and inspiration and, what's that other thing? Oh yep, recipes. ;-)

Hope these help and if I randomly recall any more rambling 'recipes' (sorry for lack of accurate instructions - that's the way I tend to cook) I'll be sure to share.

regalgirl, Apr 3, 5:44pm
Well, I wasn't going to post anymore in this thread, as I said, but I just cannot ignore the trouble a lot of you have gone to, to supply me with some of your delicious recipes. Please dont think that your efforts are in vain as I have copied and pasted them all to a folder on my pc and I will be using them all. Variety is what I wanted and you guys have been awesome. Thank you so much. This is all I simply asked for in the beginning. Cheers.