Good smoothie recipes please

Page 1 / 2
muffin2, Dec 8, 9:03pm
I would like ideas for some good healthy smoothies please - preferably ones that are filling and don't contain too much sugar (I'm type 2 diabetic)
I've been having optifast shakes for breakfast, but 20 mins later I'm hungry and craving for REAL food
I'm not too keen on the idea of putting spinach or kale into a smoothie, but will consider anything.
I've heard you can put rolled oates or wheet bix into a smoothie?

We have a Nutri infusion and I want to use it more

thanks in advance

onclemick, Dec 8, 11:00pm
frozen banana, fresh ginger, avocado, weetbix or bran cereal, any frozen berries, peanut butter, any fruit just choose what you think you may like & do not be afraid to try the vegies, I add 1/4 of avocado with banana, ginger & weetbix it seems to make it nice & creamy & you do not taste it.

muffin2, Dec 8, 11:39pm
banana, wheetbix and other berries sounds good - I'm not one for mixing fruit with veggies though

samanya, Dec 9, 12:02am
I like fruit mostly as well, but if you only put a small amount of spinach etc (I'm not into kale, so don't know about that) you'll not even notice it's there. Carrots go well with fruit in my experience.
I like 'tart' so often pop in a lime & always fresh ginger. It's pretty much what you fancy, really.

wildflower, Dec 9, 2:18am
Frozen banana, 1 cup lite Greek yoghurt, 2 T LSA and no added sugar/salt peanut butter. Heaven!

mousiemousie, Dec 9, 2:46am
Frozen banana, cranberries or blueberries, ginger, chia seeds, kale and ice/water. I also mix it up and add pineapple or mango sometimes. It can be a bit tart with the cranberries but I don't like it sweet. The pineapple will sweeten it. I buy fruit when it is in season chop it up and keep it in the freezer then it is always on hand when I feel like one.

agedbag, Dec 9, 7:09am
Water
Oat*, unsweetened Almond, lite blue, or trim milk
1 cup frozen berries
2 heaped tablespoons lite vanilla yoghurt (if using plain, or flavoured, add some vanilla essence)
1 Tablespoon LSA (fruit one is nice)
1 teaspoon natural metamusil (increase slowly over time, so your body gets used to it & work up to a tablespoon. This will eliminate any hunger pangs. If you leave the smoothie for 10 minutes after making it, the metamusil will swell and thicken the smoothie)
I also used to like adding 1 teaspoon of Clinitians vitamin C powder
1/2 frozen banana (optional)
* If not using oat milk, add 1 tablespoon oats
Blend well

I'm a type 1 diabetic and used to find the banana made it a bit sweet for me. I preferred using oat milk because almond milk made it very creamy and the berry taste came through more using oat milk. Started making my own oat milk, but easiest is to just add oats to the mixture.

I never felt hungry having smoothies for breakfast.

muffin2, Dec 9, 9:23pm
sorry to ask a blonde question, but what is LSA?
I've never heard of LSA

caprio1, Dec 9, 10:46pm
LSA stands for linseed, sunflower and almonds. Ground up, packaged and usually found in health food isle of supermarket.

muffin2, Dec 9, 11:27pm
ahh ok thanks - will have to look for that

willyow, Dec 9, 11:31pm
Lots of healthy suggestions above - but if you want a real smoothie - full cream milk, lots of ice cream, vanilla extract and any of the fruits above. (rasberries, banana etc). Personally I have no idea where the Health Food Isle is!

sampa, Dec 9, 11:42pm
They've hidden it behind a sign that now reads 'Vegan Aisle'.

rarogal, Dec 9, 11:50pm
Banana, mango and yoghurt/milk is my favourite.

wildflower, Dec 10, 2:06am
It's also cheaper to make your own LSA if you use it often. I buy 500g bags of linseeds, sunflowers seeds and 1kg raw almonds and grind my own. Just do more linseeds, less sunflower and even less almonds in the order of the letters:)

agedbag, Dec 10, 8:19am
LSA is good for the liver, (among other things) which is a bonus for diabetics as we tend to be hard on the liver when we have hypo's.

samanya, Dec 10, 9:04am
I'd like to make my own.
What do you use to grind . would a food processor do the trick or a powerful stick blender?

nauru, Dec 10, 10:39am
I use a cheap coffee grinder for the job, just kept for nuts & seeds, much better than my processor. Not sure that a stick blender would give a good result but you could try it.

dn_filly, Dec 11, 6:27am
one of my friends puts her vitamin and supliment pills in her smoothies (one less thing to take)
frozen berries (strawberries my fave) and banana is my main go to
and the frozen berries help thicken it up too

samanya, Dec 11, 6:41am
Thanks nauru . I have a very powerful stick blender so will give that a try first, I don't mind if it has mini lumps in it.

valentino, Dec 11, 7:27am
muffin2, I need to be wary now of my sugar count and recently saved the following to try, nice to share and see how others think of them.

Carrot-Mango Green Tea Smoothies

Ingredients
3 cups water

1 cup sliced carrots or packaged peeled baby carrots

1 inch fresh ginger, thinly sliced

4 green tea bags

2 cups frozen mango chunks

1 teaspoon honey

1 tablespoon chia seeds (optional)

Directions
1. In a small saucepan bring water to boiling. Add carrots; cover and cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until very tender, adding ginger slices for the last 2 minutes of cooking. Remove from the heat and add tea bags. Cover and steep for 4 minutes.
2. Remove tea bags, squeezing out all the tea. Remove ginger slices. Set pan on a hot pad in the refrigerator for 10 minutes. Transfer carrot mixture to a blender. Add mango, honey, and chia (if using). Cover and blend until smooth. Pour into glasses to serve.

Cherry-Blueberry Banana Smoothies

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups frozen unsweetened pitted dark sweet or sour cherries

1 cup unsweetened vanilla-flavored almond milk

1 6 - ounce carton blueberry-flavored Greek nonfat yogurt

1/2 cup fresh or frozen unsweetened blueberries

1 small banana, peeled

Directions
In a blender combine cherries, milk, yogurt, blueberries, and banana. Cover and blend until smooth. Pour into glasses to serve.

Chocolate-Banana Sipper

Ingredients
2 cups fat-free milk

1 banana, sliced and frozen*

3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder

2 tablespoons honey

1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions
1. In a blender, combine milk, banana, cocoa powder, honey, and vanilla. Cover and blend until smooth and frothy. Makes 4 (8-ounce) servings.
Note
• * Peel and slice banana. Place banana slices in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with plastic wrap. Freeze for at least 1 hour or until firm. Makes 4 (8-ounce) servings.

Super Berry Smoothies

Ingredients
2 cups frozen unsweetened strawberries

1 cup frozen unsweetened raspberries

1 cup fresh blackberries or blueberries

1 cup fresh baby spinach leaves

1 cup pomegranate juice

3 tablespoons sugar-free vanilla-flavor protein powder, soy protein powder or nonfat dry milk powder*

Directions
1. In a blender combine strawberries, raspberries, blackberries,spinach, pomegranate juice, and protein powder. Cover and blend until smooth. Pour into glasses to serve.
Tip
• If using the soy protein powder or nonfat dry milk powder, add 1 to 2 tablespoons honey, if desired, to add a little sweetness.

Nice to share plus a couple of slushies as I love my liquids. esp chilled.

valentino, Dec 11, 7:30am
Avocado Feijoa & Berry Smoothie

Serves 1

Ingredients:
1 cup rice milk
1 Tbsp Chia seeds
2 large feijoas
1/4 of and avocado
Large handful of mixed frozen berries
1 Tbsp coconut cream
Small wedge of lemon
1 tsp honey

Method:
Mix Chia seeds with rice milk and set aside to swell. Place all other ingredients into blender, followed by the rice milk with Chia seeds. Blend until smooth.

Berry Mango Slush

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups berry-flavored carbonated water (sweetened with stevia), chilled

1 1/2 cups crushed ice

1 cup sliced fresh strawberries

1/2 cup chopped peeled mango

2 tablespoons lime juice

Directions
1. In a blender, combine carbonated water, crushed ice, strawberries, mango, and lime juice. Cover and blend until slushy. Pour into chilled glasses. Serve immediately. Makes 4 (7-1/2-ounce) servings.

Fruit slushies recipe
Fruit slushies are best made using frozen fruit. They're great on hot day when the kids just don't want to eat using fresh fruit and fruit juice blended. Find more on Kidspot
Ingredients:
• 1 cup frozen fruit (mango, pineapple, banana, watermelon, rockmelon, berries)
• 1 cup juice (apple, orange or pineapple)

Method:
Place fruit into blender and pour in 1/2 of the juice.
Blend until smooth. Add a little more juice if required.
Notes:
• Fruit slushies are super healthy and the kids will love making up their favourite combinations.
• This is a great way to get little ones, who won't eat a piece of fruit, their vitamins.
• For a great tropical combination, you can use mango and pineapple pieces and add a little coconut milk for flavouring.

Peachy Apricot Slush

Ingredients
1 5 1/2 - ounce can apricot nectar, chilled

2 medium peaches, peeled, pitted, and sliced

1 1/2 cups crushed ice

1 tablespoon lemon juice or lime juice

1 1/2 cups carbonated water, chilled

Fresh raspberries and orange peel curls (optional)

Directions
1. In a blender, combine apricot nectar, peaches, crushed ice, and lemon or lime juice. Cover and blend until smooth.
2. Spoon fruit mixture into tall, chilled glasses; top with carbonated water. If desired, garnish drinks by threading fresh raspberries or strawberries on wooden skewers; wrap orange peel curls around skewers. Place skewers in drinks. Makes 6 (6-ounce) servings.

That last slushie should make an exceptional drink to hace on special days.

Cheers and hope they are ok.

thewomble1, Dec 11, 7:56am
Unsweetened yoghurt, coconut water and any fruit I have. sometimes a scoop of ice cream. I have type 2 and this does not push the levels up.

quiz3, Dec 11, 9:14am
Stayed with friends last week and we had smoothies most mornings.
They poured a cup full of warm water in after they had added the fruit, frozen and fresh, was really lovely, not cold for first thing in the morning.

marcs, Dec 11, 10:34am
Simple smoothie or Mango Lassi.

I don't have measurements but I use 2 frozen mango cheeks. Huge dollop of greek yoghurt or very low sugar yoghurt and milk to thin it out. I sometimes add a tsp of low GI sugar if the kids are having it. Add some ice if your machine can handle it. For unhealthy version use mango puree which you get at indian supermarkets and use the same method but don't add sugar as the mango puree is very sweet.

samanya, Apr 23, 7:18pm
I've just made myself a 'blend' for lunch & it's delicious. Tangelo, fresh ginger, lemon, fresh pineapple,apple & a handful of Cavolo Nero kale & baby spinach & although it's not too sweet, it's not too sour either & I'm loving it. Can't really taste the kale or spinach.