Good potato cake / fritter recipe

muffin2, Feb 18, 9:39pm
I've had no luck the last 2-3 times I've made these. they always stick to the pan and fall apart when trying to turn them over

The recipe I use is
1 large (or 2 smaller) potatoes grated
1 egg
finely grated parmesan cheese, handful of breadcrumbs, salt n pepper

Grate the potato in a bowl and squeeze out all the liquid from them, add other ingredients and mix well, then put spoonfulls into a hot oiled frying pan and cook until golden brown on both sides.

Half the time they stick to the bottom of the pan (even though I add extra oil or butter) and when I go to turn them they fall apart. I thought the cheese would help them to stick together.

anyone got any tips to makle them not fall apart or stick to the bottom of the pan?

or anyone have a better recipe?

jofes, Feb 18, 10:38pm
Maybe try putting a bit of flour into the mix.

lilyfield, Feb 18, 10:40pm
you need to put flour with it

muffin2, Feb 18, 11:29pm
ok thanks will try flour instead of breadcrumbs

cgvl, Feb 19, 12:47am
I make a batter, same as I would to batter fish. So the batter is usually, flour, baking powder, salt and pepper, an egg and water to mix. Then add the grated potato and any other veg that you want.
I don't bother to squeeze out the potato first but that is entirely up to you.

muffin2, Feb 19, 3:00am
this sounds good - I'm going to try this one tonight!

cardiffgirl, Feb 19, 3:52am
Add a tablespoon of flour or semolina

motorbo, Feb 19, 6:53pm
I would remove the egg myself

ljayl, Feb 22, 6:52pm
Mock whitebait fritters in Edmonds cook book is what I use . I add finely chopped onions and garlic to up the flavour . and an extra egg . yuumy

esther-anne, Feb 22, 10:09pm
This is a bit different from potato fritters - but you did mention potato cake as well. This is what I know as potato cake - have had the recipe for decades but I think I myself made a slight change to the original by using buttermilk instead of milk

Irish Potato Cake – oven baked
(sorry haven’t converted the weights!)

2oz butter.
6 ozs self raising flour.
Half teaspoon of baking powder
Good pinch of salt
8 ozs mashed potatoes (preferably freshly cooked and still warm)
Buttermilk

Preheat oven to 220c. Rub butter into flour and add b.p. and salt. Add mashed potato and mix well. Add sufficient buttermilk to make a soft dough (milk can be substituted but buttermilk is delicious). Roll out thickly as for scones – cut into rounds, squares, triangles whatever you fancy. Onto greased baking tray and bake until risen and golden (approx 20 mins). Serve whilst hot – either split open and buttered or simply spread lashings of butter on the top. So YUM! Or just as they are of course.
For a different flavour cook & mash chopped onion with the potato - or any other thing you want to mix with the mash, veges, herbs etc.

camper18, Feb 23, 3:12am
My version, 3 good size potatos grated,1 finely chopped onion, tsp chicken stock, garlic salt, tbs, parsley, 1 egg, quarter cup flour (or rice flour) mix the lot together in one bowl and fry til golden in a mix of butter and oil. Only takes a few mins each side.

propagator, Jan 31, 6:02pm
Try partially cooking potatoes in their skins. Run under cold water until they are easy to handle, peel off skins and then grate them. Add tp chopped onion and bacon sweating off in pan and plenty of salt and pepper. cook over low heat until nice and crisp and flip onto flat plate and cut into wedges to serve.